On 1 September 2002, the Trondheim Conservatory of Music and the Department of Musicology were merged into a single Department of Music. The Department of Musicology was founded in 1962 as a section of the Norwegian Teachers Academy. The Trondheim Conservatory of Music was established as a private music school in 1911. This school was divided into the Trondheim School of Music and the Trondheim Conservatory of Music in 1973. The conservatory was included as a part of the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in 1996.
The department has currently 41 employees in academic positions. Another 140 teachers are employed in temporary positions, mainly in practical disciplines. The department also has 12 administrative positions.
The department is situated on two different campuses. Musicology and Dance are located at the University Centre at Dragvoll. The music performance studies and music technology studies programmes have their premises downtown in the city of Trondheim, in the same complex as the concert hall, Olavshallen.
Department of Music
Telephone: (+47) 73 59 73 00
Fax: (+47) 73 59 73 01
Opening hours: 9.00-14.00 (Main administration)
Main administration/ Music Performance Studies/ Music Technology:
Olavskvartalet, level 6, Trondheim city centre
University campus Dragvoll, building 2, level 4.
Sport Centre Dragvoll, 3. floor, wing B. Loholt allé 81