Alex van Duinen
Background and activities
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Outcomes After Elective Inguinal Hernia Repair Performed by Associate Clinicians vs Medical Doctors in Sierra Leone: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Network Open. vol. 4 (1).
- (2021) Changes in surgical volume, workforce, and productivity in Sierra Leone between 2012 and 2017. Surgery.
- (2021) The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on hospital utilisation in Sierra Leone. BMJ Global Health. vol. 6 (10).
- (2021) Early evaluation of the transition from an analog to an electronic surgical logbook system in Sierra Leone. BMC Medical Education. vol. 21 (1).
- (2021) Catastrophic expenditure and impoverishment after caesarean section in Sierra Leone: An evaluation of the free health care initiative. PLOS ONE. vol. 16 (10).
- (2020) Impact of surgical infrastructure and personnel on volume and availability of essential surgical procedures in Liberia. BJS Open. vol. 4.
- (2020) A survey of anaesthesia practices at all hospitals performing caesarean sections in Sierra Leone. Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica.
- (2020) Travel time and perinatal mortality after emergency caesarean sections: an evaluation of the 2-hour proximity indicator in Sierra Leone. BMJ Global Health. vol. 5:e003943 (12).
- (2020) Perinatal outcomes of cesarean deliveries in Sierra Leone: A prospective multicenter observational study. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics. vol. 150 (2).
- (2019) ”For this one, let me take the risk”: why surgical staff continued to perform caesarean sections during the 2014–2016 Ebola epidemic in Sierra Leone. BMJ Global Health. vol. 4.
- (2019) The rate and perioperative mortality of caesarean section in Sierra Leone. BMJ Global Health. vol. 4:e001605 (5).
- (2019) Caesarean birth experiences. A qualitative study from Sierra Leone. Sexual & Reproductive HealthCare. vol. 21.
- (2019) Evaluation of a surgical task sharing training programme's logbook system in Sierra Leone. BMC Medical Education. vol. 19 (1).
- (2019) Caesarean section performed by medical doctors and associate clinicians in Sierra Leone. British Journal of Surgery. vol. 106 (2).
- (2018) Admissions and surgery as indicators of hospital functions in Sierra Leone during the west-African Ebola outbreak. BMC Health Services Research. vol. 18 (846).
- (2017) Safety, productivity and predicted contribution of a surgical task-sharing programme in Sierra Leone. British Journal of Surgery. vol. 104 (10).
- (2017) Learning Curve Characteristics for Caesarean Section Among Associate Clinicians: A Prospective Study from Sierra Leone. World Journal of Surgery. vol. 41.
- (2016) The Impact of the West Africa Ebola Outbreak on Obstetric Health Care in Sierra Leone. PLOS ONE. vol. 11 (2).
- (2013) The surgical training program: increasing surgical capacity in sierra leone by training medical doctors and community health officers in surgical and obstetric skills - progress report. Tropical medicine & international health. vol. 18.