Ann-Kristin Gunnes Elvrum
Background and activities
I am an occupational therapist in children's helath and have a PhD in clinical medicine. Currently, I am working in a 50% postdoc position at IKOM, NTNU and 50% as associate professor at INB, NTNU. In addition, I have a 20% position as occupational therapist at St. Olavs Hospitalin. At IKOM I am part of the Center for Early Brain Development (CEBRA) research group at IKOM, NTNU (https://www.ntnu.edu/ikom/cebra#/view/about). In my postdoc we are doing an early intervention study for children at high risk for developing cerebral palsy, with special focus on hand function, mobility and communication/interaction. This project is part of a larger study that looks at how to use a computer program to analyze infant’s general movements in a video film to identify the children who have the highest risk of cerebral palsy. The purpose is to provide the children who need it a closer follow-up with the possibility of goal-directed interventions/training programs (https://www.ntnu.edu/ikom/neonatal#/view/about).
I am also involved in the WE study, which investigates the effect of Botulinum Toxin A on the function of children with cerebral palsy (https://stolav.no/Sider/WE-studien.aspx). In addition, I am involved in an international network that works on the development and testing of measuring characteristics for hand-held tests for children with cerebral palsy. This network is conducted from Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, Sweden.
What am I particularly concerned with:
I am particularly concerned with activity and participation for children with cerebral palsy, with a special interest in early intervention and children's hand function, as well as how to evaluate this in the best possible way.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) External validity of the Both Hands Assessment for evaluating bimanual performance in children with bilateral cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology.
- (2021) Assessment of mirror movements in children and adolescents with unilateral cerebral palsy: reliability of the Woods and Teuber scale. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology. vol. 63 (6).
- (2020) Hand–arm bimanual intensive therapy and daily functioning of children with bilateral cerebral palsy: a randomized controlled trial. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology. vol. 62 (11).
- (2019) SMALL STEP – Intensiv trening for babyer med høy risiko for CP ved St. Olavs Hospital. Barnestafetten. vol. 37 (87).
- (2018) Development of bimanual performance in young children with cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology. vol. 60 (5).
- (2017) Bimanual Capacity of Children With Cerebral Palsy: Intra- and Interrater Reliability of a Revised Edition of the Bimanual Fine Motor Function Classification. Physical & Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics. vol. 37 (3).
- (2017) Development and validation of the both hands assessment for children with bilateral cerebral palsy. Physical & Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics. vol. 38 (2).
- (2016) Bimanual Fine Motor Function (BFMF) classification in children with cerebral palsy: Aspects of construct and content validity. Physical & Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics. vol. 36 (1).
- (2016) Outcome measures evaluating hand function in children with bilateral cerebral palsy: a systematic review. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology. vol. 58 (7).
- (2014) Outcome in adolescence of brachial plexus birth palsy 69 individuals re-examined after 10-20 years. Acta Orthopaedica. vol. 85 (6).
- (2014) Bimanual performance and mirror movements in adolescents with unilateral spastic cerebral palsy: assessments by a novel computer vision based software. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology. vol. 56.
- (2013) Involuntary and voluntary muscle activation in children with unilateral cerebral palsy – Relationship to upper limb activity. European journal of paediatric neurology. vol. 17 (3).
- (2013) Long term prognosis of obstetric brachial plexus palsy. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology.
- (2012) Effectiveness of resistance training in combination with botulinum toxin-A on hand and arm use in children with cerebral palsy: a pre-post intervention study. BMC Pediatrics. vol. July / 12 (2).
- (2012) Long term functional outcome of Brachial Plexus Birth Palsy. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology. vol. 54.
- (2011) Assessment of hand function in children with cerebral palsy: Differences and agreement between Bimanual Fine Motor Function and ManualAbility Classification Scale. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology.
- (2010) Relationship between neuromuscular body functions and upper extremity activity in children with cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology. vol. 52 (2).
- (2016) Assessment of hand function in children with bilateral cerebral palsy. Development and measurement properties of outcome measures and classifications. 2016. ISBN 9788232615964.