Background and activities
Anna Krulatz is Professor of English at the Department of Teacher Education at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, Norway. She holds a PhD in linguistics from the University of Utah. Her research focuses on multilingualism with English, pragmatic development in adult language learners, content based instruction, and language teacher education. She has published articles, teaching tips, and book chapters. She is actively involved with the international TESOL community and in-service professional development for EFL teachers in Norway.
Acquisition of English in the multilingual classroom (with Eivind Torgersen); The Research Council of Norway, 2018-2022
Increasing teacher awareness about the positive impact of multilingualism on the acquisition of English (with Eivind Torgersen); Sør-Trøndelag University College, 2015
Multilingualism in Trondheim public schools: Raising teacher awareness in the English as a Foreign Language classroom (with Eivind Torgersen and Anne Dahl); The Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research, 2014
Current teaching and supervision
LGU12008 English 1 module 2 (CBLT)
LGU52009 English 1 module 2 (CBLT)
LGU53003 English 2 (Second language acquisition)
LGU53002 BA thesis
EDU3080 Communicative Competence
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Predicting EFL teacher candidates' preparedness to work with multilingual learners: Snapshots from three European universities. The European Journal of Applied Linguistics and TEFL. vol. 9 (1).
- (2020) The use of refusal strategies in interlanguage speech act performance of Korean and Norwegian users of English. Studies in Second Language Learning and Teaching. vol. 10 (4).
- (2020) Dynamic assessment in university-level CLIL: Forging mature L2 writers through mediation. The European Journal of Applied Linguistics and TEFL. vol. 9 (1).
- (2019) Content based instruction in teacher education: Reshaping pre-service teachers' beliefs about language teaching. English language teacher education and development. vol. 22.
- (2019) Building Inclusive Language Classroom Spaces through Multilingual Writing Practices for Newly-Arrived Students in Norway. Scandinavian Journal of Educational Research. vol. 64 (3).
- (2018) Interlanguage development in speech act strategy choices: Apologies by Norwegian pre- and in-service teachers of English. Nordic Journal of Modern Language Methodology (NJMLM). vol. 6 (1).
- (2018) Multilinguals and extensive reading: Two multilinguality portraits of learners of Norwegian. Reading in a Foreign Language. vol. 30 (1).
- (2018) Fostering literacy in adolescent EFL classrooms: An overview of techniques and teaching ideas. The European Journal of Applied Linguistics and TEFL. vol. 7 (1).
- (2018) Towards critical cultural and linguistic awareness in language classrooms in Norway: Fostering respect for diversity through identity texts. Language Teaching Research. vol. 22 (5).
- (2018) Investigation into Norwegian Teachers’ Perspectives on the Use of Students' Mother Tongue in the EFL Classroom. Journal of Linguistics and Language Teaching. vol. 9 (2).
- (2017) Extensive Reading: Resources and Strategies for Intermediate and Advanced Learners of Norwegian. Nordic Journal of Modern Language Methodology (NJMLM). vol. 5 (1).
- (2016) Engelsk som tredjespråk: Har lærere kompetanse til å støtte flerspråklighet?. Acta Didactica Norge. vol. 10 (1).
- (2016) Competent non-native users of English? Requestive behavior of Norwegian EFL teachers. Nordic Journal of English Studies (NJES). vol. 15 (4).
- (2016) Reflective practice in teacher education: Why active learning is not enough. Journal of the International Society for Teacher Education. vol. 20 (2).
- (2016) Baseline Assessment of Norwegian EFL Teacher Preparedness to Work with Multilingual Students. Journal of Linguistics and Language Teaching. vol. 7 (2).
- (2016) Towards an understanding of target language use in the EFL classroom: A report from Norway. International Journal for 21st Century Education. vol. 3.
- (2015) Judgments of Politeness in Russian: How Non-native Requests are Perceived by Native Speakers. Intercultural Communication Studies (ICS). vol. XXIV (1).
- (2015) Fostering multilingual competence in the EFL classroom. Nordic Journal of Modern Language Methodology (NJMLM). vol. 3 (2).
- (2014) Electronic Requests in Native and Non-Native Russian: Insights into Foreign Language Learners’ Sociolinguistic Competence. Journal of Linguistics and Language Teaching. vol. 5 (1).
- (2014) Training teachers in the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) model, the SIOP way. The Teacher Trainer Journal. vol. 28 (1).