Background and activities
Anna Krulatz is Associate Professor of English at the Department of Teacher Education at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, Norway. She holds a PhD in linguistics from the University of Utah. Her research focuses on multilingualism with English, pragmatic development in adult language learners, content based instruction, and language teacher education. She has published articles, teaching tips, and book chapters. She is actively involved with the international TESOL community and in-service professional development for EFL teachers in Norway.
Acquisition of English in the multilingual classroom (with Eivind Torgersen); The Research Council of Norway, 2018-2022
Increasing teacher awareness about the positive impact of multilingualism on the acquisition of English (with Eivind Torgersen); Sør-Trøndelag University College, 2015
Multilingualism in Trondheim public schools: Raising teacher awareness in the English as a Foreign Language classroom (with Eivind Torgersen and Anne Dahl); The Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research, 2014
Current teaching and supervision
LGU12008 English 1 module 2 (CBLT)
LGU52009 English 1 module 2 (CBLT)
LGU53003 English 2 (Second language acquisition)
LGU53002 BA thesis
EDU3080 Communicative Competence
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Multilinguals and extensive reading: Two multilinguality portraits of learners of Norwegian. Reading in a Foreign Language. vol. 30 (1).
- (2018) Fostering literacy in adolescent EFL classrooms: An overview of techniques and teaching ideas. The European Journal of Applied Linguistics and TEFL. vol. 7 (1).
- (2017) Extensive Reading: Resources and Strategies for Intermediate and Advanced Learners of Norwegian. Nordic Journal of Modern Language Methodology. vol. 5 (1).
- (2017) Towards critical cultural and linguistic awareness in language classrooms in Norway: Fostering respect for diversity through identity texts. Language Teaching Research.
- (2016) Engelsk som tredjespråk: Har lærere kompetanse til å støtte flerspråklighet?. Acta Didactica Norge - tidsskrift for fagdidaktisk forsknings- og utviklingsarbeid i Norge. vol. 10 (1).
- (2016) Competent non-native users of English? Requestive behavior of Norwegian EFL teachers. Nordic Journal of English Studies (NJES). vol. 15 (4).
- (2016) Reflective practice in teacher education: Why active learning is not enough. Journal of the International Society for Teacher Education. vol. 20 (2).
- (2016) Baseline Assessment of Norwegian EFL Teacher Preparedness to Work with Multilingual Students. Journal of Linguistics and Language Teaching. vol. 7 (2).
- (2016) Towards an understanding of target language use in the EFL classroom: A report from Norway. International Journal for 21st Century Education. vol. 3.
- (2015) Judgments of Politeness in Russian: How Non-native Requests are Perceived by Native Speakers. Intercultural Communication Studies. vol. XXIV (1).
- (2015) Fostering multilingual competence in the EFL classroom. Nordic Journal of Modern Language Methodology. vol. 3 (2).
- (2014) Electronic Requests in Native and Non-Native Russian: Insights into Foreign Language Learners’ Sociolinguistic Competence. Journal of Linguistics and Language Teaching. vol. 5 (1).
- (2014) Training teachers in the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) model, the SIOP way. The Teacher Trainer Journal. vol. 28 (1).
- (2018) Enacting Multilingualism From research to teaching practice in the English classroom. Cappelen Damm Akademisk. 2018. ISBN 9788202595623.
Part of book/report
- (2018) The Role of English as a Foreign Language in Educating Refugees in Norway. Educating Refugee-background Students: Critical Issues and Dynamic Contexts.
- (2018) Development of pragmalinguistic and pragmatic skills in children versus adult L2 learners. The TESOL Encyclopedia of English Language Teaching.
- (2018) The Value of Service Learning in L2 Teacher Preparation: Engaging in Diverse Contexts. Handbook of Research on Service-Learning Initiatives in Teacher Education Programs.
- (2017) Lingvistiske og sosiale fordeler av flerspråklighet - Fra forskning til pedagogisk praksis innenfor engelskfaget. Mangfold gjennom anerkjennelse og inkludering i skolen.
- (2016) Forging a Linguistically Diverse Future: Implications for EFL Teacher Education Programmes in Norway. Anglistentag 2015 Paderborn.
- (2016) Promoting Pragmatic Competence: Focus on Refusals. Tri-TESOL 2015 – Transcending Boundaries and Interweaving Perspectives: Conference Proceedings.