Annemieke van Wamel
Background and activities
My research topic is targeted local drug delivery using ultrasound and contrast agents. More specifically, we are using Acoustic Cluster Therapy (ACT) to deliver small and macromolecules to specific places in the body. Currently we are targeting tumor tissue and the brain. Next to pre-clinical therapy studies, we are conducting experiments to identifying the mechanisms leading to enhanced drug uptake and therapeutic efficacy as a response to acoustic cluster therapy.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Effect of Acoustic Radiation Force on the Distribution of Nanoparticles in Solid Tumors. IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control. vol. 68 (3).
- (2020) Theranostic attributes of acoustic cluster therapy and its use for enhancing the effectiveness of liposomal doxorubicin treatment of human triple negative breast cancer in mice. Frontiers in Pharmacology. vol. 11.
- (2020) Ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging for group stratification and treatment monitoring in the transgenic adenocarcinoma of the mouse prostate model. The Prostate. vol. 80.
- (2020) Ultrasound-mediated delivery enhances therapeutic efficacy of MMP sensitive liposomes. Journal of Controlled Release. vol. 325.
- (2019) Ultrasound, optical and photoacoustic imaging of Acoustic Cluster Therapy enhanced delivery to human tumors in mice. Proceedings - IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium. vol. 2019.
- (2019) Acoustic Cluster Therapy displays theranostic capability in enhancing the effectiveness of liposomal doxorubicin treatment of human triple negative breast cancer in mice. Proceedings - IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium. vol. 2019-October.
- (2018) Multi-modal characterization of vasculature and nanoparticle accumulation in five tumor xenograft models. Journal of Controlled Release. vol. 279.
- (2018) The Effect of Sonication on Extravasation and Distribution of Nanoparticles and Dextrans in Tumor Tissue Imaged by Multiphoton Microscopy. Proceedings - IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium. vol. 2018 (October).
- (2017) Ultrasound Improves the Delivery and Therapeutic Effect of Nanoparticle-Stabilized Microbubbles in Breast Cancer Xenografts. Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology. vol. 43 (11).
- (2017) Efficient Enhancement of Blood–Brain Barrier Permeability Using Acoustic Cluster Therapy (ACT). Theranostics. vol. 7 (1).
- (2016) Acoustic Cluster Therapy (ACT) - pre-clinical proof of principle for local drug delivery and enhanced uptake. Journal of Controlled Release. vol. 224.
- (2016) Acoustic Cluster Therapy (ACT) enhances the therapeutic efficacy of paclitaxel and Abraxane® for treatment of human prostate adenocarcinoma in mice. Journal of Controlled Release. vol. 236.