Background and activities
Currently, I’m pursuing my doctoral thesis at the department of Materials Science and Engineering at NTNU in the group: ‘Functional materials and Materials Chemistry’. My research topic, "Hybrid Nanomaterials for Environmental and Biomedical Applications", includes synthesis, functionalization and characterization of inorganic magnetic, polymeric and hybrid nanoparticles (NPs), and their potential applications in hydrological tracing as well as magnetic hyperthermia and targeted drug delivery. Different NPs will be used for the two applications that will consist of a hybrid system containing inorganic as well as polymeric compounds forming different NP morphologies, thus exploiting the characteristic functionalities of different components. These hybrid systems involve an inorganic namely, gold, silver or iron-oxide, and an organic component consisting of various polymers that come together as a single NP thus allowing us to take advantage of their individual characteristic properties in a single moiety.
Corona Project, 2020:
Research: I’ve been part of the inventors’ team designing and improving silica-beads synthesis, thereby upscaling the production of corona testing kits from 1 000 to 100 000 tests a day.Within a team of over 10 personnel, I’m heading the Quality department responsible for characterization and quality maintenance, making sure the products leaving the production line meet appropriate standards before dispatching.
I graduated from NTNU in 2016, with a master’s degree in Chemical Engineering with specialization in Colloid and Polymer Chemistry. I wrote my master’s thesis on the topic; ‘Different shaped hybrid nanocarriers for theranostic applications’ at the Ugelstad Laboratory. The study involved investigating the effect of shape and size of gold NPs on encapsulation efficiencies and release of drug from various inorganic-polymer based hybrid nanogel systems for targeted drug delivery applications.
Education & Experience
2014-2016: MSc. Chemical Engineering, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway
2012-2014: Executive Process Engineer, Larsen & Toubro Ltd., India
2008-2012: B. Tech in Applied Petroleum Engineering, UPES, India
Lecturer: TMT4320 (Nanomaterials), Fall semester - 2018
Teaching Assistant: TMT4320 (Nanomaterials), Fall semester - 2017
- Miranti, R., Qayyum, M. S., Sharma, A., Einarsrud, M. A., Mestres, N., & Benelmekki, M. (2020). Spectroscopic study of partially oxidized BN nanoscrolls induced by low frequency ultrasonic irradiation. Applied Surface Science, 146055.
- Co-Author: “Bandyopadhyay, S. (2019). Fabrication and Application of Nanomaterials. McGraw Hill Professional.
- Raju, R., Bandyopadhyay, S., Sharma, A., Gonzalez, S., Carlsen, P., Gautun, O., & Glomm, W. (2018). Synthesis, characterization and drug loading of multiresponsive p [NIPAm-co-PEGMA](core)/p [NIPAm-co-AAc](Shell) Nanogels with Monodisperse Size Distributions. Polymers, 10(3), 309.
- Bandyopadhyay, S., Sharma, A., & Glomm, W. (2017). The Influence of Differently Shaped Gold Nanoparticles Functionalized with NIPAM-Based Hydrogels on the Release of Cytochrome C. Gels, 3(4), 42.
- Bandyopadhyay, S., Alvi, M. A. A., Sharma, A., Zhu, K., Kjøniksen, A. L., Nyström, B., & Glomm, W. R. (2017). Influence of polymer coating on release of l-dopa from core-shell Fe@ Au nanoparticle systems. Colloid and Polymer Science, 295(2), 391-402.
- Bandyopadhyay, S., Sharma, A., Alvi, M. A. A., Raju, R., & Glomm, W. R. (2017). A robust method to calculate the volume phase transition temperature (VPTT) for hydrogels and hybrids. RSC Advances, 7(84), 53192-53202.
- Bandyopadhyay, S., Andersen, M. K., Alvi, M. A. A., Sharma, A., Raju, R., McDonagh, B. H., & Glomm, W. R. (2016). Incorporation of Fe@ Au nanoparticles into multiresponsive pNIPAM-AAc colloidal gels modulates drug uptake and release. Colloid and Polymer Science, 294(12), 1929-1942.
- Norwegian NanoSymposium, 2019: Oral Presentation – “DNA based hydrological tracer vehicles”.
- European Colloid and Interface Society, 2019: Poster – “Functionalization of Magnetic Nanoparticles with DNA for Water Management”.
- NKS Makro, 2018: Poster – “FunNano – Functional Nanomaterial for Multipurpose Applications”.
- European School on Magnetism, 2018: Poster – “Magneto-plasmonic Nanoparticles for Biomedical Applications”.
- Cluster-Surface Interaction Workshop 2018: Poster – “Magneto-plasmonic Nanoparticles for Biomedical Applications”.
- International Conference on Nanoscience, Nanotechnology and Nanobiotechnology, 2017: Poster – “Magneto-plasmonic Hybrid Nanoparticles for Biomedical Applications”.
- Kyoto International Forum for Environment and Energy, 2017: Poster – “Magnetophoresis Method for Magneto-Plasmonic Nanoparticle Assembly”.
- Nano@NTNU Symposium, 2015: Poster – “Modelling the Swelling Collapse Behaviour of Nano Systems Showing Phase Transition”.
- International Conference on Nanotechnology and Biotechnology, 2016, Melbourne. Co-author for a conference topic; Controlling the Release of Cyt C and L- Dopa from pNIPAM-AAc Nanogel Based Systems. Presenter; Sulalit Bandyopadhyay.