Background and activities
Arild Gustavsen is director of The Research Centre on Zero Emission Neighbourhoods (ZEN) in Smart Cities and professor in building physics at Department of Architectural Design, History and Technology at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU).
Arild Gustavsen holds a MSc degree in environmental physics (1996) and a PhD degree in building physics (2001). He has worked as an associate professor (2001-2006) and full professor (2007-) at NTNU (teaching building physics and energy use in buildings), as a senior research scientist (2006-2008) at SINTEF Building and Infrastructure (on various projects for the building industry) and visiting researcher at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in 1999 and 2006 (working on experimental and numerical characterization of fenestration systems). Research interests include heat, air and moisture transfer in building envelope systems, application of new materials in building assemblies, and energy use in new and existing buildings and neighbourhoods.
About the ZEN-centre
The Research Centre on Zero Emission Neighbourhoods (ZEN) in Smart Cities is a Centre for Environment-friendly Energy Research (FME), funded by the The Research Council of Norway and 33 partners. The Research Centre on Zero Emission Neighbourhoods in Smart Cities (ZEN) will enable the transition to a low carbon society by developing sustainable neighbourhoods with zero greenhouse gas emissions. The ZEN Centre will speed up decarbonisation of the building stock (existing and new), use more renewable energy sources and create positive synergies among the building stock, energy, ICT and mobility systems, and citizens. Read more about the ZENCentre at http://www.fmezen.no.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Klimanøytrale bygg og nabolag. Det Nye Digitale Norge.
- (2019) Energianalyse for bygningsmassen i Oslo. Scenarioanalyse av energibruk og klimagassutslipp 2009–2040. 2019. ISBN 978-82-536-1619-3. ZEN Report (14).
- (2019) Kutter utslipp, sparer nettleie. Dagens næringsliv.
- (2018) Cool Planning For Zero Emission Neighbourhoods - The Norwegian Way. Climate Change Planning.
- (2018) Zero Emission Buildings and Neighbourhoods. Symposium on Sustainable Energy . NTNU, Tsinghua University and Shanghai Jiao Tong University; Fairmont Peace Hotel Shanghai. 2018-12-15 - 2018-12-15.
- (2018) Zero Emission Neighbourhoods - Possibilities and Challenges. Towards low carbon cities . Sweco; Helsinki. 2018-05-21 - 2018-05-21.
- (2018) Thermal Modeling and Investigation of the Most Energy-Efficient Window Position. Energy and Buildings. vol. 158.
- (2018) A Zero Emission Neighbourhoods Data Management Architecture for Smart City Scenarios: Discussions toward 6Vs challenges. 2018 International Conference on Information and Communication Technology Convergence (ICTC).
- (2018) Zero Emission Neighbourhoods in Smart Cities: Definition, Key Performance Indicators and Assessment Criteria: Version 1.0. ZEN report no. 7. Billingual version. Nullutslippsområder i smarte byer: Definisjon, nøkkelindikatører og vurderingskriterier. SINTEF akademisk forlag. 2018. ISBN 978-82-536-1593-6. ZEN Report (7).
- (2018) Hygrothermal properties of compressed earthen bricks. Construction and Building Materials. vol. 162.
- (2017) Energy performance assessment of a semi-integrated PV system in a zero emission building through periodic linear regression method. Energy Procedia. vol. 132.
- (2017) The ZEB Test Cell Laboratory. A facility for characterization of building envelope systems under real outdoor conditions. Energy Procedia. vol. 132.
- (2017) Zero Emission Buildings. Fagbokforlaget. 2017. ISBN 978-82-450-2055-7.
- (2017) Thermal Conductivity of Cement Stabilized Earth Blocks. Construction and Building Materials. vol. 151.
- (2016) Building Integration of Aerogel Glazings. Procedia Engineering. vol. 145.
- (2016) Multilayer Glazing Technologies: Key Performance Parameters and Future Perspectives. CLIMA 2016 - Proceedings of the 12th REHVA World Congress.
- (2016) Nye isolasjonsmaterialer i verneverdige bygg - muligheter og begrensninger. Brygger og andre kaldhus . Sør-Trøndelag fylkeskommune, Trondheim kommune og NTNU; Trondheim. 2016-03-09 - 2016-03-09.
- (2016) ZEB Definitions and Pilot Buildings. International Training Conference on Energy Efficiency . NVE, EEA Grants; Krakow. 2016-03-29 - 2016-03-31.
- (2016) Nullutslippsbygg bidrar til grønt skifte. Teknisk Ukeblad. vol. 163 (2).
- (2016) Norway Demonstrates Zero Emission Buildings. News (International Energy Agency. Energy Conservation in Buildings and Community Systems Programme. Online).
- (2016) Accelerated aging of treated aluminum for use as a cool colored material for facades. Energy and Buildings. vol. 112.
- (2016) Hvorfor kan ikke nærbutikken selge deg overskuddsvarme. Teknisk Ukeblad.
- (2015) Aerogel Granulate Glazing Facades and their Application Potential from an Energy Saving Perspective. Applied Energy. vol. 142.
- (2015) Kunnskapsstatus – Fuktbufring i materialer og påvirkning på energibehov. SINTEF akademisk forlag. 2015. ISBN 978-82-536-1448-9. ZEB Project report (22).
- (2015) Thermal conductivity of monodisperse silica nanospheres. Journal of Porous Media. vol. 18 (10).
- (2015) The ZEB Living Lab at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology: a zero emission house for engineering and social science experiments. Proceedings of the 7PHN Sustainable Cities and Buildings conference held in Copenhagen 20-21 August 2015.
- (2015) Impact of opaque building envelope configuration on the heating and cooling energy need of a single family house in cold climates. Energy Procedia. vol. 78.
- (2015) Thermal performance of in-between shading systems in multilayer glazing units: Hot-box measurements and numerical simulations. Journal of Building Physics. vol. 39 (2).
- (2015) New solutions for facade energy insulation. Examples from some research projects. Utvendig isolering av mur- og betongbygninger ; Oslo. 2015-02-26 - 2015-02-26.
- (2015) Impact of convection on thermal performance of aerogel granulate glazing systems. Energy and Buildings. vol. 88.
- (2015) Aerogel Insulation for Building Applications. The Sol-Gel Handbook.
- (2015) Experimental Synthesis of Hollow Silica Nanospheres for Application as Superinsulation in the Buildings of Tomorrow. Proceedings of the 4th Building Enclosure Science & Technology (BEST 4 - 2015) Conference.
- (2015) Myter og fakta om fuktbufring og energisparing : ny ZEB-rapport om gammelt tema. Arkitektur N. vol. 97 (6).
- (2015) Moisture in multi-layer windows. Energy Procedia. vol. 78.
- (2015) Nullutslippsbygg er en klimaløsning. Teknisk Ukeblad. vol. 162 (1).
- (2014) Insulating Glazing Units with Silica Aerogel Granules: The Impact of Particle Size. Applied Energy. vol. 128.
- (2014) Sealant Aging and its Correlation with Facade Reflectance. Construction and Building Materials. vol. 69 (Oct).
- (2014) Lightweight and Thermally Insulating Aerogel Glass Materials. Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing. vol. 117 (2).
- (2014) Synthesis and characterization of aerogel glass materials for window glazing applications. Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings. vol. 35 (5).
- (2014) Aerogel-Incorporated Concrete: An Experimental Study. Construction and Building Materials. vol. 52.
- (2014) Fatigue Resistance of Double Sealant Composed of Polyisobutylene Sealant Adjacent to Silicone Sealant. Construction and Building Materials. vol. 66.
- (2014) Robustness Classification of Materials, Assemblies and Buildings. Journal of Building Physics. vol. 37 (3).