Arnt Erik Tjønna
Background and activities
My main research area is cardiovascular physiology and physical activity in the prevention and rehabilitation of individuals at risk (metabolic disease / diabetes / obesity) for cardiovascular disease. I has been involved in scientific research since 2002.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Effect of carbohydrate content in a pre-event meal on endurance performance and performance-determining factors: a randomize-controlled trial. Frontiers in Sports and Active Living. vol. 3.
- (2021) Effects of High-Intensity Interval Training After Stroke (The HIIT Stroke Study) on Physical and Cognitive Function: A Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. vol. 102 (9).
- (2021) The Inclusion of Sprints in Low-Intensity Sessions During the Transition Period of Elite Cyclists Improves Endurance Performance 6 Weeks Into the Subsequent Preparatory Period. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance (IJSPP).
- (2020) β2 adrenergic interaction and cardiac autonomic function: effects of aerobic training in overweight/obese individuals. European Journal of Applied Physiology. vol. 120.
- (2019) Comparison of mitochondrial respiration in M. triceps brachii and M. vastus lateralis between elite cross-country skiers and physically active controls. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 10.
- (2019) Comparison of Physiological and Perceptual Responses to Upper-, Lower-, and Whole-Body Exercise in Elite Cross-Country Skiers. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. vol. 33 (4).
- (2018) Effect of High Intensity Interval Training on Cardiac Function in Children with Obesity: A Randomised Controlled Trial. Progress in cardiovascular diseases. vol. 61 (2).
- (2018) EX-MET study: Exercise in prevention on of metabolic syndrome - A randomized multicenter trial: Rational and design. BMC Public Health. vol. 18 (437).
- (2017) Effect of high-intensity interval training on fitness, fat mass and cardiometabolic biomarkers in children with obesity: a randomised controlled trial. Sports Medicine. vol. Published ahead of print.
- (2017) Oxygen uptake during functional activities after stroke - Reliability and validity of a portable ergospirometry system. PLOS ONE. vol. 12 (10).
- (2017) Assessment of the Five-Minute Oxygen Uptake Efficiency Slope in Children With Obesity. Pediatric Exercise Science. vol. 29 (3).
- (2017) High-intensity interval training improves obstructive sleep apnoea. BMJ Open sport & exercise medicine. vol. 2 (1).
- (2016) Effects of exercise intensity and nutrition advice on myocardial function in obese children and adolescents: a multicentre randomised controlled trial study protocol. BMJ Open. vol. Apr 4 (6(4)).
- (2016) Aerobic interval training reduces the burden of Atrial fibrillation in the short term: A randomized trial. Circulation. vol. 133 (5).
- (2015) Sport-Specific Physiological Adaptations in Highly Trained Endurance Athletes. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. vol. 47 (10).
- (2015) The Impact of high-intensity interval training versus moderate-intensity continuous training on vascular function: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sports Medicine. vol. 45 (5).
- (2015) Effects of acute supplementation of L-arginine and nitrate on endurance and sprint performance in elite athletes. Nitric oxide. vol. 48.
- (2015) Incidence of soccer injuries among 15- to 19-year-old boys in Norwegian national team. The Journal of Athletic Enhancement. vol. 4 (5).
- (2014) Effect of 24 sessions of high-intensity aerobic interval training carried out at either high or moderate frequency, a randomized trial. PLOS ONE. vol. 9 (2).
- (2014) High- and moderate-intensity aerobic exercise and excess post-exercise oxygen consumption in men with metabolic syndrome. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports. vol. 24 (3).