Background and activities
I have been engaged part-time at HUNT Research Centre since 1994, but had in 1989-90 an engagement developing guideline for handling of bronchial asthma in childhood and adolescence. I have been project leader of the Lung Study and co-project leader of the Osteoporosis Study in HUNT2, HUNT3 and HUNT4. I have been a member of the management group and leader of the Questionnaire group for both HUNT3 and HUNT4. Since 2007 I have been Leader of HUNT Databank https://hunt-db.medisin.ntnu.no/hunt-db/ .
Otherwise I work two days a week as a general practitioner at Høvdinggården Legekontor, Steinkjer (www.hovdinggarden.no).
Research areas: Epidemiology of obstructive lung diseases, lung function, use of medcation and influence on bone mineral density, osteoporosis, quality in primary health care
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Changes in lung function in European adults born between 1884 and 1996 and implications for the diagnosis of lung disease: a cross-sectional analysis of ten population-based studies. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine. vol. 10 (1).
- (2022) Association between pelvic floor disorders and bone mineral density: Findings from the HUNT study. European Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology. vol. 271.
- (2022) Undiagnosed diabetes: Prevalence and cardiovascular risk profile in a population-based study of 52,856 individuals. The HUNT Study, Norway. Diabetic Medicine.
- (2022) Bruk av skjermbaserte medier blant eldre under covid-19-pandemien : en HUNT studie. Sykepleien Forskning. vol. 17.
- (2022) Self-Reported Physician Diagnosed Asthma with COPD is Associated with Higher Mortality than Self-Reported Asthma or COPD Alone–A Prospective 24-Year Study in the Population of Helsinki, Finland. COPD: Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. vol. 19 (1).
- (2022) The HUNT study: Association of comorbidity clusters with long-term survival and incidence of exacerbation in a population-based Norwegian COPD cohort. Respirology (Carlton South. Print). vol. 27 (4).
- (2021) Multimorbidity in Finnish and Swedish speaking Finns; association with daily habits and socioeconomic status – Nordic EpiLung cross-sectional study. Preventive Medicine Reports. vol. 22.
- (2021) Bone mineral density and risk of cardiovascular disease in men and women: the HUNT study. European Journal of Epidemiology (EJE).
- (2021) Variants associated with HHIP expression have sex-differential effects on lung function. Wellcome Open Research. vol. 5.
- (2021) The blood metabolome of incident kidney cancer: A case-control study nested within the MetKid consortium. PLoS Medicine. vol. 18 (9).
- (2021) Does treatment with bisphosphonates protect against fractures in real life? The HUNT study, Norway. Osteoporosis International. vol. 32.
- (2021) Level of education and asthma control in adult-onset asthma. Journal of Asthma.
- (2021) Asthma and asthma symptom control in relation to incidence of lung cancer in the HUNT study. Scientific Reports.
- (2021) Dugnad for økt kvalitet på bruk og tolkning av spirometri i primærhelsetjenesten. Utposten. vol. 7.
- (2021) Lung function and peak oxygen uptake in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease phenotypes with and without emphysema. PLOS ONE. vol. 16 (5).
- (2021) Assessing the role of genome-wide DNA methylation between smoking and risk of lung cancer using repeated measurements: the HUNT Study. International Journal of Epidemiology.
- (2021) Spirometric phenotypes from early childhood to young adulthood: a Chronic Airway Disease Early Stratification study. European Respiratory Journal Open Research (ERJ Open Research). vol. 7 (4).
- (2021) Epidemiology of 40 blood biomarkers of one-carbon metabolism, vitamin status, inflammation, and renal and endothelial function among cancer-free older adults. Scientific Reports. vol. 11 (1).
- (2020) Differences in diagnostic patterns of obstructive airway disease between areas and sex in Sweden and Finland - the Nordic EpiLung study. Journal of Asthma.
- (2020) GOLD classifications, COPD hospitalization, and all-cause mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: The HUNT study. The International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. vol. 15.