Background and activities
I have been engaged part-time at HUNT Research Centre since 1994, but had in 1989-90 a shorter engagement performing a study on eduction of children with asthma and their parents. I have been project leader of the Lung Study and co-project leader of the Osteoporosis Study in HUNT2, HUNT3 and HUNT4. I have been a member of the management group and leader of the Questionnaire group for both HUNT3 and HUNT4. Since 2007 I have been Leader of HUNT Databank https://hunt-db.medisin.ntnu.no/hunt-db/ .
Otherwise I work two days a week as a general practitioner at Høvdinggården Legekontor, Steinkjer (www.hovdinggarden.no).
Research areas: Epidemiology of obstructive lung diseases, lung function, use of medcation and influence on bone mineral density, osteoporosis, quality in primary health care
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Prospective study of insomnia and incident asthma in adults: The HUNT study. European Respiratory Journal. vol. 49 (2).
- (2017) Sex differences in risk of smoking-related lung cancer: results from a cohort of 600,000 Norwegians. American Journal of Epidemiology.
- (2017) Lung function parameters improve prediction of VO2peak in an elderly population: The Generation 100 study. PLoS ONE. vol. 12 (3).
- (2017) Incidence of total hip or knee replacement due to osteoarthritis in relation to thyroid function: a prospective cohort study (The Nord-Tr?ndelag Health Study). BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. vol. 18 (1).
- (2017) Age of menarche is associated with knee joint replacement due to primary osteoarthritis (The HUNT Study and the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register). Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. vol. 25 (10).
- (2017) Validation of FRAX and the impact of self-reported falls among elderly in a general population: the HUNT study, Norway. Osteoporosis International.
- (2017) The causal role of smoking on the risk of hip or knee replacement due to primary osteoarthritis: a Mendelian randomisation analysis of the HUNT study. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. vol. 25 (6).
- (2017) The Combined Association of Skeletal Muscle Strength and Physical Activity on Mortality in Older Women: The HUNT2 Study. Mayo Clinic proceedings. vol. 92 (5).
- (2017) Circulating concentrations of biomarkers and metabolites related to Vitamin status, one-carbon and the kynurenine pathways in US, Nordic, Asian, and Australian populations. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. vol. 105 (6).
- (2017) Psoriasis, fracture risk and bone mineral density: the HUNT Study, Norway. British Journal of Dermatology. vol. 176 (5).
- (2017) Investigating the causal effect of smoking on hay fever and asthma: A Mendelian randomization meta-analysis in the CARTA consortium. Scientific Reports. vol. 7:2224.
- (2017) Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level, chronic diseases and all-cause mortality in a population-based prospective cohort: the HUNT Study, Norway. BMJ Open. vol. 7 (e017256).
- (2017) Associations of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level with incidence of lung cancer and histologic types in Norwegian adults: a case-cohort analysis of the HUNT study. European Journal of Epidemiology.
- (2017) Prevalence of, and work-related risk factors for, hand eczema in a Norwegian general population (The HUNT Study). Contact Dermatitis. vol. 77 (4).
- (2017) Prediagnostic calcium intake and lung cancer survival: A pooled analysis of 12 cohort studies. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention. vol. 26 (7).
- (2016) Physical activity and incident asthma in adults: The HUNT Study, Norway. BMJ Open. vol. 6 (11).
- (2016) Physical activity and lung function decline in adults with asthma: The HUNT Study. Respirology (Carlton South. Print). vol. 22 (2).
- (2016) Vitamin D and lung function decline in adults with asthma: the HUNT study. American Journal of Epidemiology. vol. 183 (8).
- (2016) Long-term trends in the prevalence of chronic kidney disease and the influence of cardiovascular risk factors in Norway. Kidney International. vol. 90 (3).
- (2016) Leisure time physical activity and the risk of hip or knee replacement due to primary osteoarthritis: A population based cohort study (The HUNT Study). BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. vol. 17 (86).