Background and activities
I have been engaged part-time at HUNT Research Centre since 1994, but had in 1989-90 a shorter engagement performing a study on eduction of children with asthma and their parents. I have been project leader of the Lung Study and co-project leader of the Osteoporosis Study in HUNT2, HUNT3 and HUNT4. I have been a member of the management group and leader of the Questionnaire group for both HUNT3 and HUNT4. Since 2007 I have been Leader of HUNT Databank https://hunt-db.medisin.ntnu.no/hunt-db/ .
Otherwise I work two days a week as a general practitioner at Høvdinggården Legekontor, Steinkjer (www.hovdinggarden.no).
Research areas: Epidemiology of obstructive lung diseases, lung function, use of medcation and influence on bone mineral density, osteoporosis, quality in primary health care
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) No association between circulating concentrations of vitamin D and risk of lung cancer: An analysis in 20 prospective studies in the Lung Cancer Cohort Consortium (LC3). Annals of Oncology.
- (2017) Thyroid function tests in the reference range and fracture: Individual participant analysis of prospective cohorts. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. vol. 102 (8).
- (2017) Prospective study of insomnia and incident asthma in adults: The HUNT study. European Respiratory Journal. vol. 49 (2).
- (2017) A simple algorithm for the identification of clinical COPD phenotypes. European Respiratory Journal. vol. 50:1701034 (5).
- (2017) Shared genetic origin of asthma, hay fever and eczema elucidates allergic disease biology. Nature Genetics. vol. 49 (12).
- (2017) Sex differences in risk of smoking-related lung cancer: results from a cohort of 600,000 Norwegians. American Journal of Epidemiology.
- (2017) Lung function parameters improve prediction of VO2peak in an elderly population: The Generation 100 study. PLoS ONE. vol. 12 (3).
- (2017) Incidence of total hip or knee replacement due to osteoarthritis in relation to thyroid function: a prospective cohort study (The Nord-Trøndelag Health Study). BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. vol. 18 (201).
- (2017) Age of menarche is associated with knee joint replacement due to primary osteoarthritis (The HUNT Study and the Norwegian Arthroplasty Register). Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. vol. 25 (10).
- (2017) The Prevalence and Symptom Profile of Asthma-COPD Overlap: The HUNT Study. COPD: Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. vol. 14 (5).
- (2017) Is there an Association between vitamin D status and risk of chronic low bak pain? A nested case-Control analysis in the Nord-Trøndelag Health Study. BMJ Open. vol. 7 (11).
- (2017) Validation of FRAX and the impact of self-reported falls among elderly in a general population: the HUNT study, Norway. Osteoporosis International. vol. 28 (10).
- (2017) The mediating effect of body mass index on the relationship between smoking and hip or knee replacement due to primary osteoarthritis. A population-based cohort study (the HUNT study). PLoS ONE. vol. 12 (12).
- (2017) The causal role of smoking on the risk of hip or knee replacement due to primary osteoarthritis: a Mendelian randomisation analysis of the HUNT study. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. vol. 25 (6).
- (2017) Mortality in persons with undetected and diagnosed hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and hypothyroidism, compared with persons without corresponding disease - a prospective cohort study; The HUNT Study, Norway. BMC Family Practice. vol. 18 (98).
- (2017) The Combined Association of Skeletal Muscle Strength and Physical Activity on Mortality in Older Women: The HUNT2 Study. Mayo Clinic proceedings. vol. 92 (5).
- (2017) Incidence of and factors associated with anticholinergic drug use among Norwegian women with urinary incontinence. International Urogynecology Journal.
- (2017) Circulating concentrations of biomarkers and metabolites related to Vitamin status, one-carbon and the kynurenine pathways in US, Nordic, Asian, and Australian populations. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. vol. 105 (6).
- (2017) Psoriasis, fracture risk and bone mineral density: the HUNT Study, Norway. British Journal of Dermatology. vol. 176 (5).
- (2017) Investigating the causal effect of smoking on hay fever and asthma: A Mendelian randomization meta-analysis in the CARTA consortium. Scientific Reports. vol. 7:2224.