Astrid de Wijn
Background and activities
Applied nonequilibrium statistical mechanics
Theory and modelling -- tribology, surface science, transport properties, nonlinear dynamics, condensed matter
- molecules and nanoscale objects on surfaces, especially in the context of friction, and
- gases and liquids of various levels of complexity.
We employ computational as well as analytical methods to solve applied and fundamental problems. We collaborate with experimental as well as theoretical researchers from a wide variety of fields, ranging from chemical engineering to mathematical physics. More details below.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Nanoscale simulations of wear and viscoelasticity of a semi-crystalline polymer. Tribology letter. vol. 69:15.
- (2020) Understanding the friction of atomically thin layered materials. Nature Communications.
- (2020) A Legendre–Fenchel Transform for Molecular Stretching Energies. Nanomaterials. vol. 10 (12).
- (2020) Stretching and breaking of PEO nanofibres. A classical force field and ab initio simulation study. Soft Matter. vol. 16 (11).
- (2020) Entropy production beyond the thermodynamic limit from single-molecule stretching simulations. Journal of Physical Chemistry B. vol. 124.
- (2020) Why surface roughness is similar at different scales. Nature. vol. 578.
- (2020) The Vanishing water/oil interface in the presence of antagonistic salt. Journal of Chemical Physics. vol. 152 (12).
- (2020) Kinetic Theory and Shear Viscosity of Dense Dipolar Hard Sphere Liquids. Physical Review Letters. vol. 124.
- (2020) Shear viscosity of pseudo hard-spheres. Molecular Physics. vol. 118 (4).
- (2019) Friction vs. Area Scaling of Superlubric NaCl-Particles on Graphite. Lubricants. vol. 7 (8).
- (2019) Stochastic modelling of tyrosine kinase inhibitor rotation therapy in chronic myeloid leukaemia. BMC Cancer. vol. 19 (1).
- (2018) Friction Fluctuations of Gold Nanoparticles in the Superlubric Regime. Nanotechnology. vol. 29 (15).
- (2018) Atomic-scale sliding friction on a contaminated surface. Nanoscale. vol. 10 (14).
- (2017) How square ice helps lubrication. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 96 (16).
- (2016) Preface to the special section on nano- and mesoscale friction. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter.
- (2016) Effects of molecule anchoring and dispersion on nanoscopic friction under electrochemical control. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter. vol. 28 (10).
- (2016) Nanoscience: Flexible graphene strengthens friction. Nature. vol. 539.
- (2016) Emergent friction in two-dimensional Frenkel-Kontorova models. Physical review. E. vol. 94 (2).
- (2016) Imaging high-speed friction at the nanometer scale. Nature Communications. vol. 7.
- (2016) Collective superlubricity of graphene flakes. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter. vol. 28 (13).