Astrid Silvia de Wijn
Background and activities
Applied nonequilibrium statistical mechanics
Theory and modelling -- tribology, surface science, transport properties, nonlinear dynamics, condensed matter
- molecules and nanoscale objects on surfaces, especially in the context of friction, and
- gases and liquids of various levels of complexity.
We employ computational as well as analytical methods to solve applied and fundamental problems. We collaborate with experimental as well as theoretical researchers from a wide variety of fields, ranging from chemical engineering to mathematical physics. More details below.
- TMM4940 - Nanotechnology, Master's Thesis
- MM8405 - Advanced tribology and surface technology
- TMM4205 - Tribology and Surface Technology
- TMM4960 - Engineering Design and Materials, Master's Thesis
- MM8455 - Experimental and Modelling Approaches on Surface Science, Corrosion and Tribology
- TMM4204 - Nanoscale Surface Dynamic Processes
- TMM4560 - Engineering Design and Materials, Specialization Project
- MM8444 - Advanced Nanoscale Surface Dynamic Processes
- TMM4540 - Industrial ICT Engineering Design and Materials, Specialization Project
- TMM4550 - Nanotechnology, Specialization Project
- TMM4935 - Industrial ICT, Master's Thesis
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Computational study of the dissolution of cellulose into single chains: the role of the solvent and agitation. Cellulose.
- (2022) Nanoscale friction and wear of a polymer coated with graphene. Beilstein Journal of Nanotechnology. vol. 13.
- (2021) Identifying ski roughness using data driven approaches. IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC).
- (2021) Dynamics of collective action to conserve a large common-pool resource. Scientific Reports. vol. 11.
- (2021) Thermal effects and spontaneous frictional relaxation in atomically thin layered materials. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 103 (19).
- (2021) Molecular-dynamics simulations of the emergence of surface roughness in a polymer under compression. Materials. vol. 14 (23).
- (2021) Nanoscale simulations of wear and viscoelasticity of a semi-crystalline polymer. Tribology letter. vol. 69.
- (2020) Understanding the friction of atomically thin layered materials. Nature Communications.
- (2020) A Legendre–Fenchel Transform for Molecular Stretching Energies. Nanomaterials. vol. 10 (12).
- (2020) Stretching and breaking of PEO nanofibres. A classical force field and ab initio simulation study. Soft Matter. vol. 16 (11).
- (2020) Entropy production beyond the thermodynamic limit from single-molecule stretching simulations. Journal of Physical Chemistry B. vol. 124.
- (2020) Why surface roughness is similar at different scales. Nature. vol. 578.
- (2020) The Vanishing water/oil interface in the presence of antagonistic salt. Journal of Chemical Physics. vol. 152 (12).
- (2020) Kinetic Theory and Shear Viscosity of Dense Dipolar Hard Sphere Liquids. Physical Review Letters. vol. 124.
- (2020) Shear viscosity of pseudo hard-spheres. Molecular Physics. vol. 118 (4).
- (2019) Friction vs. Area Scaling of Superlubric NaCl-Particles on Graphite. Lubricants. vol. 7 (8).
- (2019) Stochastic modelling of tyrosine kinase inhibitor rotation therapy in chronic myeloid leukaemia. BMC Cancer. vol. 19 (1).
- (2018) Friction Fluctuations of Gold Nanoparticles in the Superlubric Regime. Nanotechnology. vol. 29 (15).
- (2018) Atomic-scale sliding friction on a contaminated surface. Nanoscale. vol. 10 (14).
- (2017) How square ice helps lubrication. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 96 (16).
- (2016) Preface to the special section on nano- and mesoscale friction. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter.
- (2016) Effects of molecule anchoring and dispersion on nanoscopic friction under electrochemical control. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter. vol. 28 (10).
- (2016) Nanoscience: Flexible graphene strengthens friction. Nature. vol. 539.
- (2016) Emergent friction in two-dimensional Frenkel-Kontorova models. Physical review. E. vol. 94 (2).
- (2016) Imaging high-speed friction at the nanometer scale. Nature Communications. vol. 7.
- (2016) Collective superlubricity of graphene flakes. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter. vol. 28 (13).
- (2021) Stretching, breaking, and dissolution of polymeric nanofibres by computer experiments. 2021. ISBN 978-82-326-5216-7. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2021:176).