Atle M. Bones
Background and activities
#Biotechnology #Genomics #Molecular cell biology #Gene technology #Bioinformatics #Network #Synthetic biology #Cell and host defense
Ph.D in Molecular biology, M.Sc in Cell biology, B.Sc in Construction engineering
Fields of research:
- Molecular cell biology
- Gene technology
- Synthetic biology
- Cell and host defense
- Bioactive natural products
- Plants/Marine algae/Microorganisms/Animals
- Host defense systems
- Biotechnology of plants and algae
- Cellular adaptation and acclimatization to environment
- Abiotic and biotic stress
- Cell signalling
- Molecular imaging
Damage associated molecular patterns (DAMPs) in plant innate immunity
Taskforce salmon-lice: Interaction between salmon and salmon-lice and development of genome editing methods for salmon-lice.
A systems analysis of the light harvesting antennae of marine microalgae.
A receptor like kinase sensing sugars and tuning plant growth and immunity.
Bioremediation through anchoring of metal binding domains to cell compartments of plants and yeast.
Genome-wide responses and adaptations to nutrient stress in marine algae.
Southern Ocean phytoplankton adaption to mimicked future changes in light and iron availability - Molecular bases and modelling.
MACROSEA: A knowledge platform for industrial macroalgae cultivation
Functional studies of CpSRP54 in diatoms show that the mechanism of thylakoid protein insertion differs from that in plants and green algae. Nymark M, Hafskjold MCG, Volpe C, Fonseca DD, Sharma A, Tsirvouli E, Serif M, Winge P, Finazzi G, Bones AM, 2021. Plant Journal doi: 10.1111/tpj.15149
Simultaneous knock-out of multiple LHCF genes using single sgRNAs and engineering of a high fidelity Cas9 for precise genome editing in marine algae. Sharma AK, Nymark M, Flo S, Sparstad T, Bones AM, Winge P, 2021. Plant Biotechnology Journal doi: 10.1111/pbi.13582
The bHLH-PAS protein RITMO1 regulates diel biological rhythms in the marine diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum. Rossella Annunziata, A Ritter, AE Fortunato , A Manzotti, S Cheminant- Navarro, N Agier, MJJ Huysman, P Winge, AM Bones, FY Bougeth, MC Lagomarsino, JP Bouly, A Falciatore, 2019. PNAS 116: 13137-13142
The Myb-like transcription factor phosphorous starvation response (PtPSR) controls conditional P acquisition and remodeling in marine microalgae. Sharma AK, Mühlroth A, Jouhet J, Marechal E, Alipanah L, Kissen R, Brembu T, Bones AM#, Winge# P, 2020. New Phytologist 225: 2380-2395
Transcriptional regulatory networks in Arabidopsis thaliana during single and combined stresses. Barah P, Naika BNM, Jayavelu ND, Shameer K, Sowdhamini R, Bones AM, 2016. Nucleic Acids Res. 44(7):3147-64.
IDL6 and IDL7 peptides are negative modulators of stress responses in Arabidopsis thaliana. Vie AK, Brembu T, Winge P, Cattan E, Wrzaczek M, Kangasjärvi J, Aachmann FL, Miller G, Bones AM, 2017. JXB 68: 3557-3571
Transcription profiles in the diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum subject to regular light/dark cycles: Gene regulation of carbon storage and utilization. Chauton M, Brembu T, Winge P, Vadstein O, Bones AM, 2013. Plant Physiol. 161: 1034-1048
Transcriptome responses to combinations of stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Rasmussen S, Barah P, Suarez-Rodriguez MC, Bressendorff S, Friis P, Costantino P, Bones AM, Nielsen BH, Mundy J, 2013. Plant Physiol. 161(4): 1783-1794
Mechanisms of phosphorus acquisition and lipid class remodeling under P limitation in an marine algae. Mühlroth A, Winge P, Aimen Juliet, Marechal E, Hohmann Mariott, M, Vadstein O, Bones AM, 2017. Plant Physiol 175:1543-1559
The chloroplast ALB3b insertase is required for assembly of the peripheral light-harvesting antenna in diatoms. Nymark M, Volpe C, Hafskjold M, Kirst H, Vadstein O, Bones AM, Melis A, Winge P, 2019. Plant Physiol 181(3): 1257-1276
PAMP-induce secreted peptide 3 (PIP3) is a negative regulator of innate immunity in Arabidopsis thaliana. Najafi J, Winge P, Vie AK, Viste R, Sommisch I, Brembu T, Brembu, Bones AM, 2020. JXB 71: 850-864
Comparative transcriptomics reveals domestication-associated features of Atlantic salmon lipid metabolism. Jin Y, Olsen RE, Harvey TN, Østensen MA, Li K, Santi N, Vadstein O, Vik JO, Sandve SR, Bones AM, Olsen Y, 2020. Molecular Ecology 29(10):1860-72 doi: 10.1111/mec.15446
The Seminavis robusta genome provides insights into the evolutionary adaptations of benthic diatoms. Osuna-Cruz CM, Bilcke G, Vancaester E, Decker SD, Bones AM, Winge P, Poulsen N, ..Vandepoele K, 2020. Nature Communications 11 (3320)
Phytoalexins in defense against pathogens. Ahuja I, Kissen R, Bones AM, 2012. Trends in Plant Science 17: 73-90 doi: 10.1016/j.tplants.2011.11.002
- BI2014 - Molecular Biology
- BI3013 - Experimental Cell and Molecular Biology
- BI8091 - Advanced Biology
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Infection, genetic variation analysis and biology study of biocontrol agent Isturgia disputaria (Guenees) on Acia nilotica in Pakistan. Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences. vol. 31 (6).
- (2021) The imaging of guard cells of thioglucosidase (tgg) mutants of Arabidopsis further links plant chemical defence systems with physical defence barriers. Cells. vol. 10 (2).
- (2021) Principles and Methods of Counteracting Harmful Salmon–Arthropod Interactions in Salmon Farming: Addressing Possibilities, Limitations, and Future Options. Frontiers in Marine Science.
- (2021) Functional studies of CpSRP54 in diatoms show that the mechanism of thylakoid protein insertion differs from that in plants and green algae. The Plant Journal. vol. 106 (1).
- (2021) Chemopreventive Effects of Dietary Isothiocyanates in Animal Models of Gastric Cancer and Synergistic Anticancer Effects With Cisplatin in Human Gastric Cancer Cells. Frontiers in Pharmacology. vol. 12.
- (2021) The essentials of marine biotechnology. Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 8.
- (2021) Simultaneous knockout of multiple LHCF genes using single sgRNAs and engineering of a high-fidelity Cas9 for precise genome editing in marine algae. Plant Biotechnology Journal. vol. 19.
- (2020) Sub-lethal Dose Reponses of Native Polyhydroviruses and Spinosad for Economical and Sustainable Management of Spodoptera litura in Pakistan. Pakistan journal of zoology. vol. 52 (3).
- (2020) Light regulation of LHCX genes in the benthic diatom Seminavis robusta. Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 7.
- (2020) Phenylalanine Hydroxylase RNAi Knockdown Negatively Affects Larval Development, Molting and Swimming Performance of Salmon Lice. Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 7 (608463).
- (2020) Differential Effects of Dietary Supplementation of Krill Meal, Soybean Meal, Butyrate, and Bactocell® on the Gene Expression of Atlantic Salmon Head Kidney. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. vol. 21 (3).
- (2020) Comparative transcriptomics reveals domestication‐associated features of Atlantic salmon lipid metabolism. Molecular Ecology. vol. 29 (10).
- (2020) Assessment of oxidative stress response genes in Avicennia marina exposed to oil contamination – Polyphenol oxidase (PPOA) as a biomarker. Biotechnology Reports. vol. 28.
- (2020) Assessment of oxidative stress response genes in Avicennia marina exposed to oil contamination - Polyphenol oxidase (PPOA) as biomarker. Biotechnology Reports. vol. 28.
- (2020) Functional studies of CpSRP54 in diatoms show that the mechanism of thylakoid protein insertion differ from that in plants and green algae. The Plant Journal. vol. 106 (1).
- (2020) The Seminavis robusta genome provides insights into the evolutionary adaptations of benthic diatoms. Nature Communications. vol. 11 (1).
- (2020) A New Network for the Advancement of Marine Biotechnology in Europe and Beyond. Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 7 (278).
- (2020) The Role of a Glucosinolate-Derived Nitrile in Plant Immune Responses. Frontiers in Plant Science. vol. 11.
- (2019) The bHLH-PAS protein RITMO1 regulates diel biological rhytms in the marine diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 116 (26).
- (2019) CRISPR/Cas9-mediated editing of Δ5 and Δ6 desaturases impairs Δ8-desaturation and docosahexaenoic acid synthesis in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Scientific Reports. vol. 9.