Background and activities
Aurora Hoel (aka Aud Sissel Hoel) is Professor of Media Studies and Visual Culture at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). She received her PhD from the Faculty of Humanities at NTNU in 2005 for her dissertation on the formative powers of pictures.
Her research interests revolve around science images and technologies of vision, and branch out to topics such as photography, scientific instruments, symbolic mediation, visual thinking, medical imaging, and visualization.
In 2015-2017 she was a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellow at the Humboldt University of Berlin, undertaking a project called Styles of Objectivity: Agency, Alignment and Automation in Image-Guided Surgery (IMAGUS).
Previously she was the PI of the interdisciplinary research project Picturing the Brain: Perspectives on Neuroimaging (2010-2014), funded by the Research Council of Norway. Some years ago Hoel conducted a project on photography used for identification and control, resulting in an exhibition and an authored book/catalogue.
An overarching aim that cuts across Hoel’s various projects is to develop what she has coined as a “differential” approach to images and mediating apparatuses more generally. Hoel has published several articles and chapters in books. She has co-edited two books on Ernst Cassirer’s philosophy of technology, Ernst Cassirer on Form and Technology (Palgrave Macmillan, 2012) and Form og teknikk (Cappelen, 2006). More recently, she has co-edited a special issue of Interdisciplinary Science Reviews focusing on computational picturing. She is also co-editor of Visualization in the Age of Computerization (Routledge, 2014).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Operational analysis: A method for observing and analyzing digital media operations. New Media & Society.
- (2021) Image Agents. The Nordic Journal of Aesthetics. vol. 30 (61-62).
- (2021) Styles of Objectivity in Scientific Instrumentation. Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Technology.
- (2020) Digitale handlingsmønstre i kunst- og museumssektoren - om forbrukere, museumsledere og kunstnere. DnD-rapport nr. 5. 2020.
- (2020) Bilde. Medieæstetik - en introduktion.
- (2020) Det ondes emblem: Terroristens ansikt gjennom fem digresjoner. Bearbeidelser. 22. juli i ord og bilder.
- (2020) Erasing the Face of the Terrorist. Shaping Responses to Violence in the Aftermath of Terrorist Attacks . Bildung NTNU og Centre Universitaire de Norvège à Paris; Paris. 2020-01-30 - 2020-01-31.
- (2020) Human/Nonhuman Images. Aesthetic Seminar . School of Communication and Culture, Aarhus University; Aarhus. 2020-10-29.
- (2020) Images and/as Machines: Adaptive Mediators Beyond the Human/Machine Binary. Images Beyond Control . Academy of Performing Arts in Prague (FAMU); Prague (online). 2020-11-06.
- (2020) Images as Active Powers for Reality: A Simondonian Approach to Medical Imaging. Dynamis of the Image: Moving Images in a Global World.
- (2019) New Approaches to Understanding the Complicity of Media in Globalized Terrorism. STR 2019: The data revolution in terrorism research: implications for theory and practice, 13th Annual Conference for Society for Terrorism Research . C-Rex, senter for ekstremismeforskning, Universitetet i Oslo; Oslo. 2019-06-20 - 2019-06-21.
- (2019) On the Matter of Participation. Examining a Nexus of Agency, Affordance, Atmosphere and Affect in Onsite and Online Art Museum Environments. 2019. ISBN 978-82-326-4256-4. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2019/330).
- (2018) Metastability. Posthuman Glossary.
- (2018) Operative Images: Inroads to a New Paradigm of Media Theory. Image – Action – Space: Situating the Screen in Visual Practice.
- (2018) Technicity. Posthuman Glossary.
- (2017) Bodies and Technologies as Measures of Being. Invited lecture followed by master class . School of Communication and Culture, Aarhus University; Aarhus. 2017-09-07.
- (2017) Diagrammatic Reasoning in Image-Guided Neurosurgery. The New Observatory . FACT; Liverpool. 2017-09-23.
- (2017) Diagrammatic Reasoning in Image-Guided Neurosurgery (keynote lecture). Visual Reasoning - Visual Arguments . Alfred Krupp Wissenschaftskolleg; Greifswald. 2017-06-01 - 2017-06-03.
- (2017) Media Shift in Surgery. ImagINe Surgery . Charité University Hospital; Berlin. 2017-04-28 - 2017-04-29.
- (2017) Styles of Seeing and Knowing in the Neurosciences (afterword). Interpreting the Brain in Society: Cultural Reflections on Neuroscientific Practices.
- (2017) Merleau-Ponty and the Measuring Body. Theory, Culture and Society. Explorations in Critical Social Science. vol. 35 (1).
- (2016) Measuring the Heavens: Charles S. Peirce and Astronomical Photography. History of Photography. vol. 40 (1).
- (2016) Neurochirurgische Bildoperationen. Image Guidance: Bedingungen bildgeführter Operation.
- (2016) Styles of Objectivity in Image-Guided Neurosurgery. Theorizing Technological Mediations . Theorizing Technological Mediation, Peter-Paul Verbeek; Enschede. 2016-11-16.
- (2016) Styles of Objectivity in Image-Guided Neurosurgery. Seminar, The Cultural Studies Group of Neuriscience . The Cultural Studies Group of Neuroscience, Lund University; Lund. 2016-11-21.
- (2016) Theorizing and analyzing surgical screen operations: The case of preoperative nTMS. Screen Operations: Conditions of Screen-based Interaction . Humboldt Univ., Image knowledge Gestaltung Lab; Berlin. 2016-06-14.
- (2016) Apparatuses: Reality in Art and Technology. New Materialism Training School Research Genealogy and Material Practices . TATE London and COST IS1307 New Materialism; London. 2016-05-28.
- (2016) Differential Interventions: Images as Operative Tools. Photomediations: A Reader.
- (2016) A-me and BrainCloud: Art-Science Interrogations of Localization in Neuroscience. Leonardo: Journal of the International Society for the Arts, Sciences and Technology. vol. 51 (2).
- (2015) Media as Differential Apapratuses. UCSD Science Studies Colloquium Series, Science Studies Program . Science Studies Program, University of California, San Diego; San Diego. 2015-04-20.
- (2015) Navigating the Brain. Imaging and Interaction in Medical Practice: An Interdisciplinary Workshop on Image-Guided Clinical Settings . Image, Knowledge, Gestaltung, Humboldt University; Berlin. 2015-02-27 - 2018-02-28.
- (2015) Operative Images. Extensions of Many: Seminar on Media Aesthetics . Dusan Barok, Bergen senter for elektronisk kunst; Bergen. 2015-03-04.
- (2015) Surgical Image Operations. Medical Humanities and Technology Workshop . Tema Technology and Social Change, Linköping University; Linköping. 2015-12-07 - 2015-12-08.
- (2015) Thinking Technology with Merleau-Ponty. Postphenomenological Investigations: Essays on Human-Technology Relations.
- (2014) Introduction. Visualization in the Age of Computerization.
- (2014) Visualization in the Age of Computerization. Routledge. 2014. ISBN 978-0-415-81445-4.
- (2014) Images and Measurements across Arts and Sciences. Cassirer Studies. vol. V-VI.
- (2014) Operative Images. Imaging Images Media Model Diagram, part of the Images?Precisely! event series . Mark D. Linder, Syracuse University, USA; London. 2014-02-12.
- (2014) Perspectives on Neuroimaging. Higher seminar, Department of Thematic Studies - Technology and Social Change, Linköping University . Linköping University; Linköping. 2014-05-21.
- (2014) Photography as Measurement Technology. The 2014 Charles S. Peirce International Centennial Congress . The Charles S. Peirce Society & The Charles S. Peirce Founda; Lowell, Massachusetts. 2014-07-16 - 2014-07-19.
- (2014) Rethinking Objectivity by Addressing the Inner Connections between Imaging and Measuring. Form, Concept, and Symbol in the Sciences: The Contribution of Ernst Cassirer to a General Philosophy of Science . Humanomics Research Centre, Københavns universitet; København. 2014-08-28.
- (2014) The Image at the Limits of Phenomenology. What Images Do . The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts; København. 2014-03-19 - 2014-03-21.
- (2014) Visualization in Arts and Sciences: Images as Differential Apparatuses. Dynamis of the Image: An Archaeology of Potentialities (II) . Led by Chiara Cappelletto and Emmanuel Alloa; Basel. 2014-12-04 - 2014-12-06.
- (2014) Brains, Windows and Coordinate Systems. Visualization in the Age of Computerization.
- (2014) Toward a New Ontology of Scientific Vision. Representation in Scientific Practice Revisited.
- (2014) Operating Fields: Medical Imaging Across Art and Science. Art exhibition with Christina Lammer (AT), Andrew Carnie (UK) and Jordi Puig (ES/NO) [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] . NTNU and Babel Visningsrom for kunst; Trondheim. 2014-08-29 - 2014-09-07.
- (2014) Det anatomiske teater 2014. Seminar i samarbeid med Cinemateket i Trondheim og Kosmorama filmfestival [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] . NTNU, Cinemateket i Trondheim og Kosmorama filmfestival; Trondheim. 2014-05-02.