Bernt Johan Leira
Background and activities
· Environmental load modeling
· Structural response analysis
· Stochastic dynamics, control algorithms and structural reliability analysis
· Risk assessment of structural systems
· Design and analysis of ships and offshore structures for Arctic conditions
· Floating production systems and subsea technology
· Marine renewable energy
· Fish farms and aquaculture structures
· Design and analysis of marine bridges (e.g. floating bridges and submerged tunnels)
- TMR4505 - Marine Structures, Specialization Course
- TMR4235 - Stochastic Theory of Sealoads
- TMR4500 - Marine Structures, Specialization Project
- TMR4170 - Marine Structures
- TMR5950 - Wind Turbine Energy - Offshore Engineering, Master Thesis
- IFEL8000 - Introduction to Research Methodology, Theory of Science and Ethics
- TMR4590 - Wind Turbine Energy - Offshore Engineering, Specialization Project
- MR8502 - Structural Reliability
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Static and Cyclic Behavior of Welded DH36 Steel and Its Application at Low Temperatures. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 144 (1).
- (2021) Statistics of thickness and strength of first-year ice along the Northern Sea Route. Journal of Marine Science and Technology. vol. 26.
- (2021) Effect of wave inhomogeneity on fatigue damage of mooring lines of a side-anchored floating bridge. Ocean Engineering. vol. 219.
- (2021) Effect of modelling inhomogeneous wave conditions on structural responses of a very long floating bridge. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. vol. 9.
- (2021) Assessment of methods for short-term analysis of riser collision probability. Ocean Engineering. vol. 238.
- (2021) From Teaching as Transmission to Constructive Alignment: A Case Study of Learning Design. Nordic Journal of STEM Education. vol. 4 (2).
- (2021) Vessel hydrodynamic model tuning by Discrete Bayesian updating using simulated onboard sensor data. Ocean Engineering. vol. 220.
- (2021) Validation of vessel seakeeping model tuning algorithm based on measurements at model scale. Marine Structures. vol. 80.
- (2021) Onboard tuning of vessel seakeeping model parameters and sea state characteristics. Marine Structures. vol. 78.
- (2021) Adaptive identification of lowpass filter cutoff frequency for online vessel model tuning. Ocean Engineering. vol. 236.
- (2021) Tuning of vessel parameters including sea state dependent roll damping. Ocean Engineering. vol. 233.
- (2021) A benchmarking exercise for environmental contours. Ocean Engineering. vol. 236.
- (2021) Effect of environmental modelling and inspection strategy on the optimal design of floating wind turbines. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 214.
- (2021) Prediction of deepwater riser VIV with an improved time domain model including non-linear structural behavior. Ocean Engineering. vol. 236.
- (2021) Simulating High-Mode Vortex-Induced Vibration of a Riser in Linearly Sheared Current Using an Empirical Time-Domain Model. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 143 (4).
- (2021) On characteristics of ice ridges and icebergs for design of ship hulls in polar regions based on environmental design contours. Applied Sciences. vol. 11 (12).
- (2021) System Uncertainty Effects on the Wave Frequency Response of Floating Vessels Based on Polynomial Chaos Expansion. International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering (OMAE) [proceedings].
- (2021) Fatigue Assessment of Mooring Chain Considering the Effects Of Mean Load and Corrosion. International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering (OMAE) [proceedings].
- (2021) Short-term extreme mooring loads prediction and fatigue damage evaluation for station-keeping trials in ice. Ocean Engineering. vol. 242.
- (2021) Mechanical analysis of drilling riser based on pipe-in-pipe model. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 116.