Bernt Johan Leira
Background and activities
· Environmental load modeling
· Structural response analysis
· Stochastic dynamics, control algorithms and structural reliability analysis
· Risk assessment of structural systems
· Design and analysis of ships and offshore structures for Arctic conditions
· Floating production systems and subsea technology
· Marine renewable energy
· Fish farms and aquaculture structures
· Design and analysis of marine bridges (e.g. floating bridges and submerged tunnels)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Static and Cyclic Behavior of Welded DH36 Steel and Its Application at Low Temperatures. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 144 (1).
- (2021) Statistics of thickness and strength of first-year ice along the Northern Sea Route. Journal of Marine Science and Technology. vol. 26.
- (2021) Effect of wave inhomogeneity on fatigue damage of mooring lines of a side-anchored floating bridge. Ocean Engineering. vol. 219.
- (2021) Effect of modelling inhomogeneous wave conditions on structural responses of a very long floating bridge. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. vol. 9.
- (2021) Assessment of methods for short-term analysis of riser collision probability. Ocean Engineering. vol. 238.
- (2021) From Teaching as Transmission to Constructive Alignment: A Case Study of Learning Design. Nordic Journal of STEM Education. vol. 4 (2).
- (2021) Vessel hydrodynamic model tuning by Discrete Bayesian updating using simulated onboard sensor data. Ocean Engineering. vol. 220.
- (2021) Onboard tuning of vessel seakeeping model parameters and sea state characteristics. Marine Structures. vol. 78.
- (2021) Adaptive identification of lowpass filter cutoff frequency for online vessel model tuning. Ocean Engineering. vol. 236.
- (2021) Tuning of vessel parameters including sea state dependent roll damping. Ocean Engineering. vol. 233.
- (2021) Effect of environmental modelling and inspection strategy on the optimal design of floating wind turbines. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 214.
- (2021) Prediction of deepwater riser VIV with an improved time domain model including non-linear structural behavior. Ocean Engineering. vol. 236.
- (2021) Simulating High-Mode Vortex-Induced Vibration of a Riser in Linearly Sheared Current Using an Empirical Time-Domain Model. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 143 (4).
- (2021) System Uncertainty Effects on the Wave Frequency Response of Floating Vessels Based on Polynomial Chaos Expansion. International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering (OMAE) [proceedings].
- (2021) A reliability approach to fatigue crack propagation analysis of ship structures in polar regions. Marine Structures. vol. 80.
- (2021) A Probabilistic Framework for the Fatigue Damage Assessment of Ships Navigating through Level Ice Fields. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 111.
- (2020) Development of environmental contours for first-year ice ridge statistics. Structural Safety. vol. 87.
- (2020) Inhomogeneous wave load effects on a long, straight and side-anchored floating pontoon bridge. Marine Structures. vol. 72.
- (2020) Application of a sea surface roughness formula using joint statistics of significant wave height and spectral wave steepness. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Marine Energy. vol. 6 (1).
- (2020) Uncertainty assessments of structural loading due to frst year ice based on the ISO standard by using Monte-Carlo simulation. Ocean Engineering. vol. 198.