Background and activities
Bjørn Holmedal is a professor in physical metallurgy at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, since 2009.
Bjørn Holmedal (born 1968) has an MSc in Mechanical Engineering from NTH (1992) and a PhD in Mathematics from the University of Oslo (1998). He has industrial experience as a researcher in Raufoss Technology (1997-2000), starting as a postdoc at NTNU in 2000.
Publication statistics at Google schoolar page
- Metal continuum plasticity theory and modelling
- Metal crystal plasticity theory and modelling (including texture)
- Thermomechanical processing of alloys
- Strengthening and work hardening mechanisms in alloys
- dislocation theory and modelling
Teaching (some variations, these are my regular ones)
- FRIPRO-METPLAST: (The next generation metal continuum plasticity theory) Project leader. PhD main supervisor for Hassan Moradi Asadkhandi. Research Scientist Tomas Manik is employed by this project. A postdoc will be hired in 2022,
- SFI-Manufacturing: PhD main supervisor for Håkon Linga, 3D-printing.
- SFI-CASA: was PhD co-supervisor for Jianbin Xu, dynamic strain aging, PLC effect
- PhD main supervisor for (NTNU internal): Sohail Shah Atom Probe Tomography. clustering and nucleii in age hardened aluminium alloys
- Member of the council for the masters programmes MTMT og MSMT.
- Member of the board: Norsk Metallurgisk Samfunn, avdeling Trøndelag.
- Member of the International Advisory Board for Lightform prosjektet (Univ. Manchester, Emperial College, Cambridge Univ.)
- Member of "Norges Tekniske Vitenskapsakademi (NTVA)"
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Towards high-throughput microstructure simulation in compositionally complex alloys via machine learning. Calphad. vol. 72:102231.
- (2021) Deformation Texture Evolution in Flat Profile AlMgSi Extrusions: Experiments, FEM, and Crystal Plasticity Modeling. Frontiers in Materials. vol. 8.
- (2021) Linking mechanical properties to precipitate microstructure in three Al-Mg-Si(-Cu) alloys. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 807.
- (2021) Experimental Characterization and Modelling of the PLC Effect in an AlMg-Alloy. Materials Science Forum. vol. 1016.
- (2020) Detailed investigation of the shearing mechanism of β" precipitates in Al-Mg-Si alloys. MATEC Web of Conferences. vol. 326.
- (2020) Regularized Yield Surfaces for Crystal Plasticity of Metals. Crystals. vol. 10 (1076).
- (2020) Spin and vorticity with vanishing rigid-body rotation during shear in continuum mechanics. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids. vol. 137.
- (2019) Relationship between Al-Ni intermetallic Phases and Bond Strength in Roll Bonded Steel-Aluminum Composites with Nickel Interlayers. Metals. vol. 9 (8).
- (2019) Nano-scale characterisation of sheared β” precipitates in a deformed Al-Mg-Si alloy. Scientific Reports. vol. 9.
- (2019) Bauschinger effect modelled by yield surface distortions. International journal of plasticity. vol. 123.
- (2019) The effect of elastic strain and small plastic deformation on tensile strength of a lean Al-Mg-Si alloy. Metals. vol. 9 (12).
- (2019) Experimental characterization and modeling of aluminum alloy AA3103 for complex single and double strain-path changes. International journal of plasticity. vol. 112.
- (2019) Assessment of advanced Taylor models, the Taylor factor and yield-surface exponent for FCC metals. International journal of plasticity. vol. 114.
- (2018) Influence of thermomechanical processing sequence on properties of AA6082-IF steel cold roll bonded composite sheet. Procedia Manufacturing. vol. 15.
- (2018) Influence of Stacking Sequence and Intermediate Layer Thickness in AA6082-IF Steel Tri-Layered Cold Roll Bonded Composite Sheets. Key Engineering Materials. vol. 767 KEM.
- (2018) Modelling and experimental validation of microstructure evolution during the cooling stage of homogenization heat treatment of Al-Mg-Si alloys. Materialia. vol. 4.
- (2018) Precipitation and strengthening modeling for disk-shaped particles in aluminum alloys: Size distribution considered. Materialia. vol. 4.
- (2018) A combined isotropic, kinematic and distortional hardening model for aluminum and steels under complex strain-path changes. International journal of plasticity. vol. 101.
- (2018) Through thickness variations of deformation texture in round profile extrusions of 6063-type aluminium alloy: Experiments, FEM and crystal plasticity modelling. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 722.