Background and activities
Bjørn Holmedal is a professor in physical metallurgy at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, since 2009.
Bjørn Holmedal (born 1968) has an MSc in Mechanical Engineering from NTH (1992) and a PhD in Mathematics from the University of Oslo (1998). He has industrial experience as a researcher in Raufoss Technology (1997-2000), starting as a postdoc at NTNU in 2000.
Publication statistics at Google schoolar page
- Metal continuum plasticity theory and modelling
- Metal crystal plasticity theory and modelling (including texture)
- Thermomechanical processing of alloys
- Strengthening and work hardening mechanisms in alloys
- dislocation theory and modelling
Teaching (some variations, these are my regular ones)
- FRIPRO-METPLAST: (The next generation metal continuum plasticity theory) Project leader. PhD main supervisor for Hassan Moradi Asadkhandi. Research Scientist Tomas Manik is employed by this project. Postdoc Baptiste Reyne
- SFI-Manufacturing: PhD main supervisor for Håkon Linga, 3D-printing.
- SFI-CASA: was PhD co-supervisor for Jianbin Xu, dynamic strain aging, PLC effect
- PhD main supervisor for (NTNU internal): Sohail Shah Atom Probe Tomography. clustering and nucleii in age hardened aluminium alloys
- Exchange PhD from Chongqing University:
- Member of the council for the masters programmes MTMT og MSMT.
- Member of the board: Norsk Metallurgisk Samfunn, avdeling Trøndelag.
- Member of the International Advisory Board for Lightform prosjektet (Univ. Manchester, Emperial College, Cambridge Univ.)
- Member of "Norges Tekniske Vitenskapsakademi (NTVA)"
- TMT4222 - Mechanical Properties of Metals
- MT3901 - Special Syllabus for Master's Degree
- MT8216 - Microstructure and Properties During Thermomechanical Processing - Phenomena and theoretical models
- TMT4266 - Metal Fabrication and Forming - Microstructure and Crystal Plasticity
- MT8218 - Advanced Materials Science
- TMT4500 - Materials Technology, Specialization Project
- TMT4240 - Microstructure and Properties of Metals
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Dynamic strain ageing in an AlMg alloy at different strain rates and temperatures: Experiments and constitutive modelling. International journal of plasticity. vol. 151.
- (2021) A Robust Image Processing Algorithm for Optical-Based Stress–Strain Curve Corrections after Necking. Journal of materials engineering and performance (Print). vol. 30 (6).
- (2021) Stress corrections after necking using a two-parameter equation for the radius of curvature. Journal of applied mechanics. vol. 88 (6).
- (2021) An improved modelling framework for strength and work hardening of precipitate strengthened Al–Mg–Si alloys. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 832.
- (2021) Linking mechanical properties to precipitate microstructure in three Al-Mg-Si(-Cu) alloys. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 807.
- (2020) Regularized Yield Surfaces for Crystal Plasticity of Metals. Crystals. vol. 10 (1076).
- (2020) Spin and vorticity with vanishing rigid-body rotation during shear in continuum mechanics. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids. vol. 137.
- (2019) Nano-scale characterisation of sheared β” precipitates in a deformed Al-Mg-Si alloy. Scientific Reports. vol. 9.
- (2019) Bauschinger effect modelled by yield surface distortions. International journal of plasticity. vol. 123.
- (2019) Experimental characterization and modeling of aluminum alloy AA3103 for complex single and double strain-path changes. International journal of plasticity. vol. 112.
- (2019) Assessment of advanced Taylor models, the Taylor factor and yield-surface exponent for FCC metals. International journal of plasticity. vol. 114.
- (2018) A combined isotropic, kinematic and distortional hardening model for aluminum and steels under complex strain-path changes. International journal of plasticity. vol. 101.
- (2018) Through thickness variations of deformation texture in round profile extrusions of 6063-type aluminium alloy: Experiments, FEM and crystal plasticity modelling. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 722.
- (2017) Modeling over-ageing in Al-Mg-Si alloys by a multi-phase CALPHAD-coupled Kampmann-Wagner Numerical model. Acta Materialia. vol. 122.
- (2017) Modeling strain-path changes in aluminum and steel. International Journal of Solids and Structures. vol. 117.
- (2016) On the relation between mean free slip length and work hardening of metals. keynote at Plasticity 2016 ; Hawaii. 2016-01-03 - 2016-01-09.
- (2016) A physically-based constitutive model applied to AA6082 aluminium alloy at large strains, high strain rates and elevated temperatures. Materials & design. vol. 103.
- (2015) Precipitation of Non-spherical Particles in Aluminum Alloys Part II: Numerical Simulation and Experimental Characterization During Aging Treatment of an Al-Mg-Si Alloy. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A.
- (2015) On the basic relation between mean free slip length and work hardening of metals. Philosophical Magazine. vol. 95 (25).
- (2015) Strength contributions from precipitates. Philosophical Magazine Letters. vol. 95 (12).
- (2015) Precipitation of Non-Spherical Particles in Aluminum Alloys Part I: Generalization of the Kampmann–Wagner Numerical Model. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A.
- (2015) Strain-path change induced transients in flow stress, work hardening and r-values in aluminum. International journal of plasticity. vol. 69.
- (2015) Multi-level modelling of mechanical anisotropy of commercial pure aluminium plate: Crystal plasticity models, advanced yield functions and parameter identification. International journal of plasticity. vol. 66.
- (2015) Multi-component solid solution and cluster hardening of Al-Mn-Si alloys. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 625 (Febr).
- (2014) Characterizing hardening on annealing of cold-rolled aluminum AA3103 strips. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A. vol. 45 (3).
- (2014) Review of the Taylor ambiguity and the relationship between rate-independent and rate-dependent full-constraints Taylor models. International journal of plasticity. vol. 55.
- (2014) Modelling the plastic anisotropy of aluminium alloy 3103 sheets by polycrystal plasticity models. Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering. vol. 22 (7).
- (2014) A robust and efficient substepping scheme for the explicit numerical integration of a rate-dependent crystal plasticity model. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering. vol. 99 (4).
- (2013) Layer continuity in accumulative roll bonding of dissimilar material combinations. Materials & design. vol. 52.
- (2013) Tensile bond strength of cold roll bonded aluminium sheets. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. vol. 213 (6).
- (2013) Additional relaxations in the Alamel texture model. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 580.
- (2013) On the criterion for compensation to avoid elastic-plastic transients during strain rate change tests. Acta Materialia. vol. 61 (2).
- (2013) Modelling work hardening of aluminium alloys containing dispersoids. Philosophical Magazine. vol. 93 (23).
- (2013) The effect of silicon on the strengthening and work hardening of aluminum at room temperature. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 563.
- (2013) Influence of dispersoids on microstructure evolution and work hardening of aluminium alloys during tension and cold rolling. Philosophical Magazine. vol. 93 (22).
- (2012) Stability of rolls in finite-amplitude Rayleigh-Benard convection in a high-Prandtl-number fluid between a perfectly conducting boundary and a slab of finite thickness and finite conductivity. European journal of mechanics. B, Fluids. vol. 34.
- (2012) Effect of alloying elements on stage-III work-hardening behaviour of Al-Zn-Mg(-Cu) alloys. International Journal of Materials Research - Zeitschrift für Metallkunde. vol. 103 (5).
- (2012) Comparison of the influence of Si and Fe in 99.999% purity aluminum and in commercial-purity aluminum. Scripta Materialia. vol. 67 (2).
- (2011) Three-Point Bending of Heat-Treatable Aluminum Alloys: Influence of Microstructure and Texture on Bendability and Fracture Behavior. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A. vol. 42A (11).
- (2010) Work-hardening behaviour of a heat-treatable AA7108 aluminium alloy deformed to intermediate strains by compression. Journal of Materials Science. vol. 45 (19).
- (2009) Warm forming simulation of Al-Mg sheet. Journal of Materials Processing Technology. vol. 209 (15-16).
- (2009) Ageing and work-hardening behaviour of a commercial AA7108 aluminium alloy. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 524 (1-2).
- (2008) Evaluation of identification methods for YLD2004-18p. International journal of plasticity. vol. 24 (12).
- (2008) A crystal plasticity model for strain-path changes in metals. International journal of plasticity. vol. 24.
- (2008) Sub-structure strengthening and work hardening of an ultra-fine grained aluminium-magnesium alloy. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 483-484.
- (2007) On the formulation of the mechanical threshold stress model. Acta Materialia. vol. 55 (8).
- (2006) Through Process Modeling of Extrusion: Evolution in Microstructure and Mechanical Properties through the whole Process Chain from As Cast and Homogenized Condition to Forming of Profiles. Virtual Fabrication of Aluminium Products.
- (2006) Work Hardening of Aluminium Alloys - A Review of Selected Work Hardening Models. Virtual Fabrication of Aluminium Products.
- (2006) Through Process Simulation of EN AW-3103 Sheet Production Modelling the Evolution of Microstructure, Texture, Microchemistry and Mechanical Properties. Virtual Fabrication of Aluminium Products.
- (2006) Large strain work hardening of aluminum alloys and the effect of Mg in solid solution. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A. vol. 37A.
- (2006) Strengthening mechanisms in solid solution aluminum alloys. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A. vol. 37A.
- (2005) "FEM and a microstructure based work hardening model used to calculate forming limit curves". International Journal of Forming Processes. vol. 8/SI.
- (2005) Stability of squares and rolls in Rayleigh-Benard convection in an infinite-Prandtl-number fluid between slabs. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 537.
- (2005) A unified microstructural metal plasticity model applied for testing, processing and forming of aluminium alloys. Zeitschrift für Metallkunde. vol. 96 (6).
- (2005) Planform selection in Rayleigh-Benard convection between finite slabs. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 537 (537).
- (2005) Planform selection in Rayleigh-Bénard convection between finite slabs. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 537.
- (2005) Modelling grain boundary strengthening in ultra-fine grained aluminum alloys. Materials Science & Engineering: A. vol. 410.
- (2004) The effect of boundary spacing on substructure strengthening. Materials Science and Technology. vol. 20.
- (2004) Microstructure development during hot deformation of aluminum to large strains. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A. vol. 34A.
- (1993) Computation of the inlet wall jet in a rectangular enclosure. Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics. vol. 1.
- (1993) Magnetohydrodynamic melting flow from a horizontal rotating disk. Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences. vol. 3 (3).