Bjørn Eske Sørensen
Background and activities
TGB4125 Mineralogy: Includes main priciples in crystal chemistry, crystallographic from both a theoretical and applied prespective. Practical skills achieved includes optical transmitted light microscopy, crystallographic plotting and mineral formula recalculation.
TGB4130 Petrology: Fundamental principles og igneous and metamorphic petrology and geochemistry.
Involved in research within petrology, structural geology, ore deposits and applied mineralogy.
Involved in the development of the SEM-lab, including our state of the art EBSD equipment. My special focus here is the improovement of indexing and phase discrimination between complicated low symmetry geological materials. We now have an impressive indexing percenttage of quartz abowe 98%. We currently ressearch on crystallographic fabric development in quartz, including the influence of twinning.
Data are collected using TSL-OIM sofware and then transferred into MTEX for more advanced analysis. We have exellent analysis facilitis and encourage scientiffic colaboration.
EBSD patterns dyed green, showing the change in pattern when crossing a Dauphiné twin boundary. Original by Bjørn Eske Sørensen (2001)
- TGB4120 - Ore-Deposit Modelling
- TGB4127 - Mineralogy, Advanced Course
- GB8106 - Genesis of Ore-Deposits
- TGB4295 - Quantitative Mineralogy
- GEOL3092 - Special Course for the Master's Thesis
- TGB4585 - Mineral Production and Resource Geology, Specialization Course
- TGB4266 - Tectonics
- TGB4126 - Mineralogy, Basic Course
- TGB4950 - Mineral Production and Resource Geology, Master's Thesis
- GEOL3093 - Special Course for the Master's Thesis
- GEOL3095 - Master's Thesis in Geology
- GB8201 - Tectonics
- GB8102 - Advanced Mineralogy and Petrology
- TGB4115 - Mineral Deposit Geology
- TGB4130 - Petrology
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Hysteresis parameters and magnetic anisotropy of silicate-hosted magnetite exsolutions. Geophysical Journal International. vol. 229 (3).
- (2022) The Palaeoproterozoic Gallujavri Ultramafic Intrusion, Karasjok Greenstone Belt; Petrogenesis of a Trans-Crustal Magma System. Journal of Petrology. vol. 63 (3).
- (2022) Evolution of the Gállojávri ultramafic intrusion from U-Pb zircon ages and Rb-Sr, Sm-Nd and Lu-Hf isotope systematics. Precambrian Research. vol. 379.
- (2021) Multi-isotope tracing of the 1.3–0.9 Ga evolution of Fennoscandia; crustal growth during the Sveconorwegian orogeny. Gondwana Research. vol. 91.
- (2021) Syn-Orogenic Exhumation of High-P Units by Upward Extrusion in an Accretionary Wedge: Insights From the Eastern Elba Nappe Stack (Northern Apennines, Italy). Tectonics. vol. 40 (5).
- (2021) Compositional Features and Swelling Potential of Two Weak Rock Types Affecting Their Slake Durability. Geotechnics. vol. 1 (9).
- (2020) Tectonomagmatic evolution of the Sveconorwegian orogen recorded in the chemical and isotopic compositions of 1070?920?Ma granitoids. Precambrian Research.
- (2020) A neural network approach for spatial variation assessment – A nepheline syenite case study. Minerals Engineering. vol. 149.
- (2020) The Sveconorwegian orogeny – reamalgamation of the fragmented southwestern margin of Fennoscandia. Precambrian Research. vol. 350.
- (2020) Recent features in EBSD, including new trapezoidal correction for multi-mapping. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. vol. 891 (1).
- (2020) Processing and indexing of electron backscatter patterns using open-source software. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. vol. 891.
- (2019) in situ evidence of earthquakes near the crust mantle boundary initiated by mantle co2 fluxing and reaction-driven strain softening. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. vol. 524.
- (2018) Portrait of a giant deep-seated magmatic conduit system: The Seiland Igneous Province. Lithos. vol. 296-299.
- (2018) Geometallurgical Approach to the Element-to-Mineral Conversion for the Nabbaren Nepheline Syenite Deposit. Minerals. vol. 8 (8).
- (2018) Magma-driven, high-grade metamorphism in the Sveconorwegian Province, southwest Norway, during the terminal stages of Fennoscandian Shield evolution. Geosphere. vol. 14 (2).
- (2017) Measurement of particle size distribution and specific surface area for crushed concrete aggregate fines. Advanced Powder Technology. vol. 28 (3).
- (2016) Crystallization and uplift path of late Variscan granites evidenced by quartz chemistry and fluid inclusions: Example from the Land's End granite, SW England. Lithos. vol. 252-253.
- (2016) Orogenic degassing, scapolitization and K-metasomatism during Caledonian exhumation, Helgeland, Norway. Norsk Geologisk Tidsskrift. vol. 96 (3).
- (2015) The Late Mesoproterozoic Sirdal Magmatic Belt, SW Norway: Relationships between magmatism and metamorphism and implications for Sveconorwegian orogenesis. Precambrian Research. vol. 265.
- (2015) Late-magmatic immiscibility during batholith formation: assessment of B isotopes and trace elements in tourmaline from the Land’s End granite, SW England. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology. vol. 169 (6).