Background and activities
2014 – now: Microscopy core manager Cellular & Molecular Imaging Core facility (CMIC)
2009 – 2015: Ph.D. in Molecular Imaging (NTNU). "Quantitative confocal laser scanning microscopy: optimization for in vivo and in vitro analysis of intracellular transport".
2006 – 2009: Master in Cell- and Molecular Biology (NTNU). "Establishing of selective photobleaching as a method to study intracellular transport in Arabidopsis thaliana".
2001 – 2005: Bachelor in Natural Sciences (NTNU). Study program: Biology; main profile: Cell- and Molecular Biology.
Bjørnar Sporsheim has worked on several interdisciplinary projects ranging from plant science to molecular medicine and confocal laser scanning microscopy (CLSM) quality assurance. His research interests include live cell imaging, intracellular transport and image processing and analysis. He has more than 10 years experience in advanced microscopy and image processing, and specializes in quantitative fluorescence microscopy. Among his other professional interests are scientific visualization and university teaching; combining his passion for microscopy, computer graphics and communication.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) The imaging of guard cells of thioglucosidase (tgg) mutants of Arabidopsis further links plant chemical defence systems with physical defence barriers. Cells. vol. 10 (2).
- (2021) Patient derived colonoids as drug testing platforms-Critical importance of oxygen concentration. Frontiers in Pharmacology. vol. 12:679741.
- (2020) Phenylalanine Hydroxylase RNAi Knockdown Negatively Affects Larval Development, Molting and Swimming Performance of Salmon Lice. Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 7 (608463).
- (2020) Cholesterol crystals use complement to increase NLRP3 signaling pathways in coronary and carotid atherosclerosis. EBioMedicine. vol. 60:102985.
- (2020) Highly variable effect of sonication to dislodge biofilm-embedded Staphylococcus epidermidis directly quantified by epifluorescence microscopy: an in vitro model study. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research. vol. 15:522.
- (2020) Cholesterol crystals and NLRP3 mediated inflammation in the uterine wall decidua in normal and preeclamptic pregnancies. Frontiers in Immunology. vol. 11:564712.
- (2020) Antibiotic treatment routes Mycobacterium avium to phagolysosomes without triggering proinflammatory cytokine production in human Mϕs. Journal of Leukocyte Biology.
- (2019) The NLRP3 inflammasome expression by maternal and fetal cells in the uterine wall and association with preeclampsia development. Placenta. vol. 83.
- (2019) Legumain is upregulated in acute cardiovascular events and associated with improved outcome – potentially related to anti-inflammatory effects on macrophages. Atherosclerosis.
- (2019) The TLR4 adaptor TRAM controls the phagocytosis of Gram-negative bacteria by interacting with the Rab11-family interacting protein 2. PLoS Pathogens. vol. 15:e1007684 (3).
- (2017) Increased levels of legumain in plasma and plaques from patients with carotid atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. vol. 257.
- (2017) Complement activation by cholesterol crystals triggers a subsequent cytokine response. Molecular Immunology. vol. 84.
- (2017) Increased expression of TFPI in human carotid stenosis. Thrombosis Research. vol. 155.
- (2016) Cholesterol crystals activate the lectin complement pathway via ficolin-2 and mannose-binding lectin: Implications for the progression of atherosclerosis. Journal of Immunology. vol. 196 (12).
- (2015) CD14, TLR4 and TRAM Show Different Trafficking Dynamics During LPS Stimulation. Traffic : the International Journal of Intracellular Transport. vol. 16 (7).
- (2015) Allyl isothiocyanate inhibits actin-dependent intracellular transport in arabidopsis thaliana. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. vol. 16 (12).
- (2015) Allyl isothiocyanate depletes glutathione and upregulates expression of glutathione S-transferases in Arabidopsis thaliana. Frontiers in Plant Science. vol. 6.
- (2012) Quantitative 3-D colocalization analysis as a tool to study the intracellular trafficking and dissociation of pDNA-chitosan polyplexes. Journal of Biomedical Optics. vol. 17 (2).
- (2013) Arabidopsis thaliana, July month in Leica 2014 Calendar. Leica Microsystems, Leica Microsystems international Calendar 2014. 2013.
- (2015) Quantitative confocal laser scanning microscopy: optimization for in vivo and in vitro analysis of intracellular transport. 2015. ISBN 978-82-326-1162-1.