Background and activities
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2022) A U-Turn for Mercury Concentrations over 20 Years: How Do Environmental Conditions Affect Exposure in Arctic Seabirds?. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 56 (4).
- (2021) Incubation temperature and physiological aging in the zebra finch. PLOS ONE. vol. 16 (11).
- (2021) Quantitative mismatch between empirical temperature-size rule slopes and predictions based on oxygen limitation. Scientific Reports. vol. 11 (1).
- (2021) Energetics of whiskered bats in comparison to other bats of the family Vespertilionidae. Biology Open. vol. 10 (8).
- (2020) The standard metabolic rate of a land snail (Cepaea hortensis) is a repeatable trait and influences winter survival. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A. vol. 249.
- (2019) How to quantify thermal acclimation capacity?. Global Change Biology.
- (2019) Warm and out of breath: thermal phenotypic plasticity in oxygen supply. Functional Ecology. vol. 33 (11).
- (2018) Global phenological insensitivity to shifting ocean temperatures among seabirds. Nature Climate Change. vol. 8 (4).
- (2018) Black-legged kittiwakes as messengers of Atlantification in the Arctic. Scientific Reports. vol. 8.
- (2018) Persistent organic pollutants and organophosphate esters in feathers and blood plasma of adult kittiwakes (Rissa tridactyla) from Svalbard – associations with body condition and thyroid hormones. Environmental Research. vol. 164.
- (2017) Perfluorinated substances and telomeres in an Arctic seabird: Cross-sectional and longitudinal approaches. Environmental Pollution (1987). vol. 230.
- (2017) Temporal variation in circulating concentrations of organochlorine pollutants in a pelagic seabird breeding in the high arctic. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. vol. 36 (2).
- (2017) Is there plasticity in developmental instability? The effect of daily thermal fluctuations in an ectotherm. Ecology and Evolution. vol. 7 (24).
- (2017) No evidence for thermal transgenerational plasticity in metabolism when minimizing the potential for confounding effects. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. vol. 284 (1846).
- (2016) Later at higher latitudes: Large-scale variability in seabird breeding timing and synchronicity. Ecosphere. vol. 7 (5).
- (2016) A 'slow pace of life' in Australian old-endemic passerine birds is not accompanied by low basal metabolic rates. Journal of Comparative Physiology. B, Biochemical, Systemic, and Environmental Physiology. vol. 186 (4).
- (2016) Incubation temperature influences survival in a small passerine bird. Journal of Avian Biology. vol. 47 (2).
- (2016) Exposure to oxychlordane is associated with shorter telomeres in arctic breeding kittiwakes. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 563-564.
- (2016) Assessing the effect of roads on impala (Aepyceros melampus) stress levels using faecal glucocorticoid metabolites. African Journal of Ecology. vol. 54 (4).
- (2016) Is basal metabolic rate associated with recruit production and survival in free-living house sparrows?. Functional Ecology. vol. 30 (7).
- (2016) Mercury exposure, stress and prolactin secretion in an Arctic seabird: an experimental study. Functional Ecology. vol. 30 (4).
- (2015) Climate change and the increasing impact of polar bears on bird populations. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution. vol. 3 (33).
- (2015) Survival rate and breeding outputs in a high Arctic seabird exposed to legacy persistent organic pollutants and mercury. Environmental Pollution (1987). vol. 200.
- (2015) GPS-loggers influence behaviour and physiology in the black-legged kittiwake Rissa tridactyla. Marine Ecology Progress Series. vol. 521.
- (2014) Annual variation in the timing of breeding, pre-breeding foraging areas and corticosterone levels in an Arctic population of black-legged kittiwakes. Marine Ecology Progress Series. vol. 496.
- (2014) Is the rate of metabolic ageing and survival determined by basal metabolic rate in the zebra finch?. PLOS ONE. vol. 9 (9).
- (2014) Migration and stress during reproduction govern telomere dynamics in a seabird. Biology Letters. vol. 10 (1).
- (2014) Corticosterone mediates carry-over effects between breeding and migration in the kittiwake Rissa tridactyla. Marine Ecology Progress Series. vol. 496.
- (2014) The stress of being contaminated? Adrenocortical function and reproduction in relation to persistent organic pollutants in female black legged kittiwakes. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 476-477.
- (2013) Differential reproductive responses to stress reveal the role of life-history strategies within a species. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. vol. 280 (1771: 20132090).
- (2013) To breed or not to breed: endocrine response to mercury contamination by an Arctic seabird. Biology Letters. vol. 9 (4).
- (2013) Determining adrenocortical activity as a measure of stress in African elephants (Loxodonta africana) in relation to human activities in Serengeti ecosystem. African Journal of Ecology. vol. 51 (4).
- (2013) Thyroid hormones correlate with basal metabolic rate but not field metabolic rate in a wild bird species. PLOS ONE. vol. 8 (2).
- (2012) Relationships between POPs and baseline corticosterone levels in black-legged kittiwakes (Rissa tridactyla) across their breeding cycle. Environmental Pollution (1987). vol. 164.
- (2011) Experimentally reduced corticosterone release promotes early breeding in black-legged kittiwakes. Journal of Experimental Biology. vol. 214 (12).
- (2011) Growing old with the immune system : a study of immunosenescence in the zebra finch (Taeniopygia guttata). Journal of Comparative Physiology. B, Biochemical, Systemic, and Environmental Physiology. vol. 181 (5).
- (2010) On estimating basal metabolic rate from body mass: A potential pitfall in predicting post operative survival. American Journal of Hematology. vol. 85 (10).
- (2010) Parent Kittiwakes experience a decrease in cell-mediated immunity as they breed. Journal of Ornithology = Journal fur Ornithologie. vol. 151 (3).
- (2010) Citrate synthase activity does not account for age-related differences in maximum aerobic performance in House Sparrows (Passer domesticus). Australian Zoologist. vol. 35 (2).
- (2010) Stress and the timing of breeding: Glucocorticoid-luteinizing hormones relationships in an arctic seabird. General and Comparative Endocrinology. vol. 169 (1).
- (2010) Long-term survival effect of corticosterone manipulation in Black-legged kittiwakes. General and Comparative Endocrinology. vol. 167 (2).
- (2010) Evidence for an intrinsic energetic ceiling in free-ranging kittiwakes Rissa tridactyla. Journal of Animal Ecology. vol. 79 (1).
- (2010) Ecological and Environmental Physiology of Birds. Oxford University Press. 2010. ISBN 978-0-19-922844-7.