Background and activities
I am a postdoctoral researcher studying environmental impacts embedded in international trade flows.
My current area of specialization is the design and use of high-resolution global economic-biophysical MRIO tables that track thousands of goods and commodities flowing through billions of trade and transformation steps to reach end users. These resource accounts are used to calculate accurate carbon, water, land, material, and biodiversity footprints, and to quantify how a remote ecological shock may propagate through supply chains to affect a particular country or sector. Assembling these global resource accounts is data and calculation intensive so much of my work involves programming for cluster and supercomputer systems.
Results from my research have appeared in Nature, Nature Climate Change and PNAS and have been used in projects for McKinsey, Deloitte, the European Commission, OECD, UN, IMF, and World Bank.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Mapping the Carbon Footprint of Nations. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 50 (19).
- (2016) Tracing global supply chains to air pollution hotspots. Environmental Research Letters. vol. 11 (9).
- (2016) On the suitability of input–output analysis for calculating product-specific biodiversity footprints. Ecological Indicators. vol. 60.
- (2016) Identifying critical supply chain paths and key sectors for mitigating primary carbonaceous PM2.5 mortality in Asia. Economic Systems Research.
- (2015) National greenhouse-gas accounting for effective climate policy on international trade. Nature Climate Change. vol. 5.
- (2015) Global Supply Chains of Coltan: A Hybrid Life Cycle Assessment Study Using a Social Indicator. Journal of Industrial Ecology. vol. 19 (3).
- (2015) The material footprint of nations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.
- (2014) Convergence between the Eora, WIOD, EXIOBASE, and OpenEU’s consumption-based carbon accounts. Economic Systems Research. vol. 26 (3).
- (2014) The inequality footprints of nations: A novel approach to quantitative accounting of income inequality. PLoS ONE. vol. 9 (10).
- (2014) INVESTIGATING ALTERNATIVE APPROACHES TO HARMONISE MULTI-REGIONAL INPUT-OUTPUT DATA. Economic Systems Research. vol. 26 (3).
- (2014) International Trade Undermines National Emissions Reductions Targets: New evidence from air pollution. Global Environmental Change. vol. 24.
- (2014) Compiling and using input-output frameworks through collaborative virtual laboratories. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 485-486 (1).
- (2014) A Non-Sign Preserving RAS Variant. Economic Systems Research. vol. 26 (2).
- (2014) How severe space weather can disrupt global supply chains. Natural hazards and earth system sciences. vol. 14 (10).
- (2014) The footprint of using metals: new metrics of consumption and productivity. Environmental Economics and Policy Studies. vol. 17 (3).
Part of book/report
- (2015) The Environmental Footprints Explorer - a database for global sustainable accounting. EnviroInfo & ICT4S, Adjunct Proceedings (Part 2).