Daryl John Powell
Background and activities
Dr. Daryl Powell Ph.D. is an adjunct professor at the Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management at NTNU. He is also Research Manager at SINTEF Manufacturing AS. His education is in automotive engineering and lean manufacturing from the University of Wales, Swansea Metropolitan University. He has broad experience from industry, particularly from working with lean and continuous improvement at Schaeffler (UK) Ltd and Kongsberg Maritime. The research of Dr. Powell focusses on corporate lean programmes and Network Action Learning, with a particular focus on project-based production environments. He has published in journals such as Lean Management Journal, International Journal of Production Research, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, and International Journal of Lean Six Sigma.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Sketching the Landscape for Lean Digital Transformation. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 566.
- (2019) Demystifying lean leadership. International Journal of Lean Six Sigma.
- (2019) Total Quality Management and Quality Circles in the Digital Lean Manufacturing World. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 566.
- (2019) Cyber-Physical Waste Identification and Elimination Strategies in the Digital Lean Manufacturing World. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 566.
- (2018) Making it stick on borrowed time: the role of internal consultants in public sector lean transformations. The TQM Journal. vol. 30 (3).
- (2018) Kanban for Lean Production in High Mix, Low Volume Environments. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (11).
- (2018) Towards digital lean cyber-physical production systems: Industry 4.0 technologies as enablers of leaner production. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 536.
- (2018) Digital lean cyber-physical production systems: The emergence of digital lean manufacturing and the significance of digital waste. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 535.
- (2017) Lean Six Sigma and environmental sustainability: the case of a Norwegian dairy producer. International Journal of Lean Six Sigma. vol. 8 (1).
- (2016) Exploring the archetypes of engineer-to-order: an empirical analysis. International Journal of Operations & Production Management. vol. 36 (3).
- (2015) Using lean principles to drive operational improvements in intermodal container facilities: A conceptual framework. Journal of Facilities Management. vol. 13 (3).
- (2015) Towards a framework for lean operations in product-oriented Product service systems. CIRP - Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology. vol. 9.
- (2014) A framework for ICT-enabled real-time production planning and control. Advances in Manufacturing. vol. 2 (2).
- (2014) Adoption of quality management practices: An investigation of its relationship with labor productivity for labor-intensive manufacturing companies. Benchmarking : An International Journal. vol. 21 (1).
- (2014) A New Set of Principles for Pursuing the Lean Ideal in Engineer-to-order Manufacturers. Procedia CIRP. vol. 17.
- (2014) Globally Distributed Engineering Processes: Making the Distinction between Engineer-to-order and Make-to-order. Procedia CIRP. vol. 17.
- (2013) ERP systems in lean production: new insights from a review of lean and ERP literature. International Journal of Operations & Production Management. vol. 33 (11-12).
- (2013) The concurrent application of lean production and ERP: Towards an ERP-based lean implementation process. Computers in industry (Print). vol. 64 (3).
- (2013) ERP: Enterprise-wide Respect for People. Lean Management Journal. vol. 3 (7).
- (2013) Bites-sized Lean. Lean Management Journal. vol. 3 (5).