Background and activities
I am Associate Professor (førsteamanuensis) of (English) Linguistics in the Department of Language and Literature. I received my PhD in Linguistics from the University of Maryland in the United States. My advisors were Colin Phillips, Jeff Lidz, and (unofficially) Norbert Hornstein. I was a postdoctoral researcher at Haskins Laboratories in New Haven, CT, where I worked with Julie A. Van Dyke.
I started the ØyeLab at NTNU in 2016. Research in the lab uses experimental methods to understand the role of grammatical knowledge in language processing, as well as to understand grammatical variation cross-linguistically. We use a number of different methodologies including eye tracking-while-reading (hence the name of the lab).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Processing cataphors: Active antecedent search is persistent. Memory & Cognition. vol. 49.
- (2021) Learning Island-insensitivity from the input: A corpus analysis of child- and youth-directed text in Norwegian. Glossa: a journal of general linguistics. vol. 6 (1).
- (2020) Variation in adjunct islands: The case of Norwegian. Nordic Journal of Linguistics.
- (2020) L2 transfer of L1 island-insensitivity: The case of Norwegian. Second Language Research.
- (2019) Antecedent accessibility and exceptional covariation: Evidence from Norwegian Donkey Pronouns. Glossa: a journal of general linguistics. vol. 4 (1).
- (2019) On the Island Sensitivity of Topicalization in Norwegian: An Experimental Investigation. Language. vol. 95 (3).
- (2018) Individual differences in decoding skill, print exposure, and cortical structure in young adults. Language, Cognition and Neuroscience. vol. 33 (10).
- (2018) Processing of Norwegian complex verbs: Evidence for early decomposition. Memory & Cognition.
- (2018) Prominence-sensitive pronoun resolution: New evidence from the speed-accuracy tradeoff procedure. Journal of Experimental Psychology. Learning, Memory and Cognition. vol. 45 (7).
- (2017) Looking forwards and backwards: The real-time processing of Strong and Weak Crossover. Glossa: a journal of general linguistics. vol. 2 (1).
- (2017) Investigating variation in island effects: A case study of Norwegian extraction. Natural language & linguistic theory. vol. Published ahead of print.
- (2016) Notes on Gapping in Hindi-Urdu: Conjunct size and focus-parallelism. Linguistic Analysis. vol. 40.
- (2015) Reanalysis as raising to object. Syntax. vol. 18.
- (2015) Future reference and epistemic modality in Hindi. Journal of South Asian Linguistics. vol. 7.
- (2015) Identifying the role of phonology in sentence-level reading. Journal of Memory and Language. vol. 79-80.
- (2015) Relation-sensitive retrieval: Evidence from bound variable pronouns. Journal of Memory and Language. vol. 82.
- (2014) Local anaphor licensing in an SOV language: Implications for retrieval strategies. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 5.
Part of book/report
- (2013) Microvariation in Islands?. Experimental Syntax and Island Effects.
- (2011) Minimalist Construal: Two Approaches to A and B. Oxford Handbook of Linguistic Minimalism.