Donald M. Evans
Background and activities
I am currently working with Prof. Dennis Meier to understand and control emergent functionality, particularly at 2D interfaces such as domain walls. My main research interest focuses on the non-linear effects associated with ferroic systems and how the competition between different order parameters is manifested: for instance, the magnetoelectric coupling in multiferroics[2 - 4], and ferroelastic-superconductivity [5, 6]. While I am interested in all aspects of this interaction, I am particularly motivated to understand this competition at naturally occurring 2D interfaces - like twin walls and ferroic domain walls - where the required differences in crystal structure produce properties that are distinct from the bulk matrix in which they sit .
Postdoc: with Prof Michael Carpenter, Department of Earth Science, University of Cambridge. Measuring elastic and anelastic to investigate the role of elastic strain and microstructure dynamics in controlling the structural evolution, as a function of temperature and magnetic field. We investigated skyrmion system Cu2OSeO3 , double perovskite solar cells  , and high temperature superconductors [5, 6].
PhD: with Prof Marty Gregg and Dr Alina Schilling, Physics department, Queen’s University Belfast. Piezoforce microscopy (PFM) and focused ion beam (FIB) lead investigation of the first single phase multiferroic material with room temperature magnetoelectric coupling [2, 10]. With a focus on the nature of the magnetoelectric coupling [3, 4, 11].
Masters Project: with Prof. J. F. Scott, Physics department, University of Cambridge. Looking for quantum criticality in tris-sarcosine calcium chloride and it’s brominated isomorphs .
Full list of publications can be found on my google scholar page:
 T. S. Holstad, D. M. Evans, et al., “Electronic bulk and domain wall properties in B-site doped hexagonal ErMnO3”. Phys. Rev. B 97, 085143 (2018)
 D. M. Evans, et al., “Magnetic switching of ferroelectric domains at room temperature in multiferroic PZTFT”. Nat. comms. 1534 (2013)
 D. M. Evans, et al., “The Nature of Magnetoelectric Coupling in Pb(Zr,Ti)O3–Pb(Fe,Ta)O3”. Adv. Mater. 27, 6068–6073 (2015)
 US patent, Micro and nanoscale magnetoelectric multiferroic lead iron tantalate-lead zirconate titanate. US 9299485 B1
 D. M. Evans, et al., “Strain relaxation behaviour of vortices in a multiferroic superconductor”. J. Phys. Cond. Matt., in print
 M. Carpenter, D. M. Evans, et al., “Ferroelasticity, anelasticity and magnetoelastic relaxation in Co-doped iron pnictide: Ba(Fe0.957Co0.043)2As2”. J. Phys. Cond. Matt., in print
 D. M. Evans, et al., “Defect dynamics and strain coupling to magnetization in the cubic helimagnet Cu2OSeO3”, Phys. Rev. B 95, 094426 (2017)
 F. Wei, DME, et al., “Synthesis and Properties of a Lead-Free Hybrid Double Perovskite: (CH3NH3)2AgBiBr6”. Chem. Mater., 29 (3), (2017)
 F. Wei, DME, et al., “The synthesis, structure and electronic properties of a lead-free hybrid inorganic–organic double perovskite (MA)2KBiCl6 (MA = methylammonium)”. Mater. Horiz., 3, 328-332 (2016)
 J. Schiemer, DME et al., “Studies of the Room‐Temperature Multiferroic Pb (Fe0. 5Ta0. 5)0.4 (Zr0. 53Ti0. 47)0.6O3: Resonant Ultrasound Spectroscopy, Dielectric, and Magnetic Phenomena”. Adv. Funct. Mater. 24, 2993–3002 (2014)
 D. M. Evans, et al., “Switching ferroelectric domain configurations using both electric and magnetic fields in Pb (Zr, Ti) O3–Pb (Fe, Ta)O3 single-crystal lamellae”. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 372: 20120450 (2014)
 S. P. P. Jones, D. M. Evans, et al., “Phase diagram and phase transitions in ferroelectric tris-sarcosine calcium chloride and its brominated isomorphs”. Phys. Rev. B 83, 094102 (2011)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Ferroelasticity, anelasticity and magnetoelastic relaxation in Co-doped iron pnictide: Ba(Fe0.957Co0.043)2As2. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter. vol. 31.
- (2019) Strain relaxation behaviour of vortices in a multiferroic superconductor. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter. vol. 31.
- (2019) FIB lift-out of conducting ferroelectric domain walls in hexagonal manganites. Applied Physics Letters. vol. 115 (12).
- (2019) Biocompatibility of (Ba,Ca)(Zr,Ti)O3 piezoelectric ceramics for bone replacement materials. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B - Applied biomaterials.
- (2018) Electronic bulk and domain wall properties in B-site doped hexagonal ErMnO3. Physical review B (PRB). vol. 97 (8).
- (2017) Nonequilibrium ferroelectric-ferroelastic 10 nm nanodomains: Wrinkles, period-doubling, and power-law relaxation. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter. vol. 29 (30).
- (2013) Magnetic switching of ferroelectric domains at room temperature in multiferroic PZTFT. Nature Communications.