Background and activities
Ela Sjølie has long experience with teacher education and is now associate professor in Experts in teamwork (EiT) in the Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management (IØT). Her research interests include student learning in higher education, organisational learning and practice theory. Her current research is on interdisciplinary student teams and virtual collaboration. Experience includes research, project management, teaching in school and higher education, and software development. Ela is involved in several international projects and networks. Her international work focusses particularly on practice theory and action research.
2017-current: Associate Professor, Experts in Teamwork (EiT), IØT, NTNU
2014-2017: Associate Professor, Department of Teacher education, NTNU
2009-2014: PhD student, NTNU. "Pedagogy is just common sense: A case study of student teachers' academic learning practices".
2005-2009: University lecturer and senior consultant, Department of Teacher Education, NTNU
2004-2005: Mathematics teacher, Ringve high school Trondheim
1999-2003 Research Scientist, Sintef Unimed Trondheim. Developing new surgical tools and software for minimal invasive surgery
1997-1999: GE Vingmed Ultrasound Trondheim. Software developer for ultrasound scanners and research support for cardiologists and obstetricians
1991-1997: Dipl.ing, Elektrotechnik, Universität Karlsruhe, Tyskland
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Team-skills training and real-time facilitation as a means for developing student teachers’ learning of collaboration. Teaching and Teacher Education : An International Journal of Research and Studies. vol. 107.
- (2020) In liminality: interdisciplinary teams learning through challenges. Higher Education, Skills and Work-based Learning.
- (2020) Teachers’ conceptions and uses of student collaboration in the classroom. Educational Research.
- (2020) Den skjulte trusselen på hjemmekontoret. Gemini.
- (2020) Slik taklet studentene å gå fra fysisk til digital undervisning. www.universitetsavisa.no.
- (2020) Learning of academics in the time of the Coronavirus pandemic. Journal of Praxis in Higher Education (JPHE). vol. 2 (1).
- (2020) Student teachers’ criticism of teacher education – through the lens of practice architectures. Pedagogy, Culture & Society.
- (2018) Communicative learning spaces and learning to become a teacher. Pedagogy, Culture & Society. vol. 27 (3).
- (2017) Forskningsdeltakeres stemmer fra barnehage til lærerutdanning. Nordisk tidsskrift for utdanning og praksis. vol. 11 (2).
- (2015) When the form stands in the way of content – a study of student teachers’ reading practices. Education Inquiry. vol. 6 (4).
- (2014) The role of theory in teacher education: reconsidered from a student teacher perspective. Journal of Curriculum Studies. vol. 46 (6).
Part of book/report
- (2020) What is Educational Praxis?. Pedagogy, Education, and Praxis in Critical Times.
- (2017) Learning educational theory in teacher education. Exploring education and professional practice - Through the lens of practice architectures.
- (2016) Å lære teori; en studie av lærerstudenters læringspraksiser. Veiledningspraksiser i bevegelse. Skole, utdanning og kulturliv.
- (2014) In the Tension Between Idealism and Practicality – Student Teachers’ Meta-awareness of Learning and Teaching. Nafol Årbok 2014 NAFOL Year Book 2014 En gang lærer – alltid lærer? Once a Teacher – Always a Teacher?.
- (2008) Praksisbasert lærerutdanning - fadderordning som alternativ praksisform i femårig lærerutdanning. FoU i Praksis 2007: Rapport fra konferanse om praksisrettet FoU i lærerutdanning.
- (2007) Praksisbasert lærerutdanning - fadderordning som alternativ praksisform i femårig lærerutdanning. Gjennom ordene. Fagtekster fra et førstelektorprogram.
- (2014) Pedagogy is just common sense - a case study of student teachers' academic learning practices. 2014. ISBN 978-82-326-0372-5.
- (2018) Researching practice in higher education. AARE 2018 . University of Sydney; Sydney. 2018-12-02 - 2018-12-06.
- (2017) Researching practice in higher education. ECER 2017 . University College Copenhagen; 2017-08-22 - 2017-08-25.
- (2016) Communicative spaces and teacher learning – a discussion across national borders. AARE 2016 Conference . AARE; Melbourne. 2016-11-27 - 2016-12-01.
- (2015) Learning to be a teacher. Practice Theory Perspectives on Pedagogy and Education: Praxis, Diversity and Contestation . Griffith University; Brisbane. 2015-06-04 - 2015-06-06.
- (2012) Pre-service teachers and theory in initial teacher education: A comparison of two studies. AARE 2012 Conference . AARE; Sydney. 2012-12-02 - 2012-12-06.