Background and activities
Elisabetta Tedeschi (1980) is a Professor at the Department of Electric Power Engineering. She belongs to the Power Electronic Systems and Components (PESC) Group.
She is a member of the "Outstanding Academic Fellows Programme" of NTNU
She has a PhD in Industrial Engineering from the University of Padova, Italy, and a 5 year “Laurea” degree (M.Sc. equivalent - with honors) from the same university.
Main fields of research:
Offshore energy systems. Design and control of energy conversion systems for marine energy applications, including:
- Control and stability issues arising in offshore HVAC and HVDC (including multi-terminal configurations) transmission systems.
- Analysis of the power quality issues arising from the grid connection of multi-MW marine energy farms and compliance with local grid codes.
- Development of control strategies to maximize the energy extraction in the single wave energy converter (WEC) with a reduced rating of the Power Take-Off.
- Design and control of power electronics conversion systems for multi-MW wind turbines.
- Evaluation of energy storage needs in offshore energy farms and trade-off analysis of the rating/performance.
Distributed compensation and cooperative control in non-sinusoidal electric networks and micro-grids Optimized management of distributed compensation systems controlled in a cooperative way for application in distorted electric networks (e.g. offshore wind farms) and operation of micro-grid with significant renewable energy shares. In particular:
- Analysis and characterization of electric networks working under non sinusoidal conditions, due to the high penetration of power electronics converters.
- Development of optimized control techniques for reactive, harmonic and unbalance compensation in distributed applications.
- Study of renewable energies and storage integration into micro-grids.
- May 2014- present: Professor, Department of Electric Power Engineering, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (Trondheim, Norway)
- May 2013 – April 2014: Research Scientist (80% position), SINTEF Energy (Trondheim, Norway
- January 2013 – May 2014: Adjunct Associate Professor (20% position), Department of Electric Power Engineering, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (Trondheim, Norway)
- 2011-2013: Experienced Researcher, Tecnalia Research & Innovation (Derio, Spain)
- 2009-2010: Abel grant under the NILS mobility Project for 6 months research at the University of The Basque Country, (Bilbao, Spain)
- 2009-2011: Postdoctoral research associate, Department of Electric Power Engineering (NTNU) (Trondheim, Norway)
Specialization course: ELK-23 “Power Electronics in Future Power Systems” – Fall semester (2014 - present)
PhD Course: ET8304 “Power Theories and Compensation with Power Electronics” – Spring semester (2016 - present)
International guest lecturer within the PhD/MSc course: "Distributed generation and compensation in low-voltage microgrids" offered at the Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brasil. Lecture on "The Instantaneous Power Theory" (2019).
International guest lecturer within the "Master in Offshore Renewable Energy" offered at the University of the Basque Country, Bilbao, Spain. Module on "The role of power electronics in modern power systems" (2018).
International guest lecturer within the PhD/MSc course: "Modern electric power circuit analysis" offered at the Universidade Estadual Paulista, Sao paulo, Brasil. Lecture on "The Conservative Power Theory: origin and evolution" (2018).
MSc. Course: TET4850 “Experts in teamwork: The energy challenge for a sustainable future” – Spring semester (2015, 2016)
Principal scientific responsibilities and referee activities
- Ongoing supervision of 5 PhD fellows and 2 Post-Doctoral Fellows.
- National coordinator and member of the Joint Programme Board of the Joint International Master in Renewable Energy in the Marine Environment (Erasmus+).
- Topic Chair for the topic: “Other topics in control, modeling and optimization of power converters” of the IEEE ECCE 2019
- Member of the Steering Committee of the 5th IEEE Southern Power Electronics Conference, IEEE SPEC/COBEP 2019
- Member of the Programme Committee of the IEEE Workshop on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics, IEEE COMPEL 2018
- Program Chair of the IEEE Workshop on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics, IEEE COMPEL 2016
- Member of the Program Committee of the IEEE EVER-Monaco Conferences since 2012.
- Member of the Technical Programme Committee of the IEEE Smart 2015 Conference
- Topic Chair for the topic: “Stability and power quality” of the IEEE ECCE 2013.
- Scientific evaluator for Innovation Canada.
- Scientific evaluator for the Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and research.
- Scientific evaluator for the Chilean Research Council.
- Scientific evaluator for the Croatian Science Foundation.
- Reviewer of book proposals for Cambridge University Press, Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET), Elsevier, John Wiley & Sons.
- Reviewer for the IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, IEEE Transactions of Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, the IET Renewable Power Generation, the MDPI Energies journal, the AIP Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (COMPEL), and several international conferences.
Participation/leadership of (selected) research projects and experience in international scientific collaboration
- 2019-22 Vista "EGO-OFF-STORE" project (Project manager), NTNU, Norway
- 2018-21 NFR "HES-OFF" project (Work-package leader), NTNU, Norway
- 2018-20 EU-H2020 "IMAGINE" project (NTNU Project manager/Work-package leader), NTNU, Norway
- 2017-20 NFR "NB_POCCREI" project (Project manager), NTNU, Norway
- 2016-19 NFR “IDeCON” project (Project manager), NTNU, Norway
- 2016-19 EU-Era-Net/NFR “CloudGrid” project (NTNU Project manager/Work-package leader), NTNU, Norway
- 2015-16 “Sustainable Energy Solutions for Powering Offshore Oil and Gas Installations”- Research contract with Statoil A.S., (NTNU Project manager), NTNU, Norway
- 2014-15: EEA-"Offshore 4.5 MW Wind modules" Research contract with Ingeteam S.A., (NTNU Project manager), NTNU, Norway
- 2013-14: EU-FP7 Marinet (SINTEF Project Leader), SINTEF, Norway
- 2013-14: EU-FP7 MARINA Platform (Researcher), NTNU, Norway
- 2013-14: KPN ProOfGrids, (Researcher), SINTEF, Norway;
- 2011-12: EU-FP7 Sea2grid (Principal Investigator), Tecnalia, Spain
- 2010-11: EEA - Grid connection of Wave Energy Converters, with specific focus on Wave Energy Farms (Principal Investigator), NTNU, Spain
International Academy Membership
- Senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (+IEEE PELS, IES, PES and WIE)
- Member of the Ocean Energy Europe
- Member of the Italian Register of Engineers since 2005
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Smart Load Management with Energy Storage for Power Quality Enhancement in Wind-Powered Oil and Gas Applications. Energies. vol. 12 (15).
- (2019) PI Passivity-Based Control and Performance Analysis of MMC Multiterminal HVDC Systems. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics.
- (2019) Optimal Multiobjective Control of Low-Voltage AC Microgrids: Power Flow Regulation and Compensation of Reactive Power and Unbalance. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid.
- (2019) Comparative analysis of European grid codes relevant to offshore renewable energy installations. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. vol. 102.
- (2019) Dynamics and Stability of Meshed Multiterminal HVDC Networks. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. vol. 34 (3).
- (2019) Online Parameter Adjustment Method for Arm Voltage Estimation of the Modular Multilevel Converter. IEEE transactions on power electronics. vol. 34 (12).
- (2018) Integration of Distributed Energy Resources into Offshore and Subsea Grids. CPSS transactions on power electronics and applications (TPEA). vol. 3 (1).
- (2018) Review of control strategies for wave energy conversion systems and their validation: the wave-to-wire approach. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. vol. 81.
- (2017) Control of HVDC systems based on diode rectifier for offshore wind farm applications. Energy Procedia. vol. 137.
- (2017) Modeling of MMC for fast and accurate simulation of electromagnetic transients: A review. Energies. vol. 10:1161 (8).
- (2017) Smart load management of water injection systems in offshore oil and gas platforms integrating wind power. IET Renewable Power Generation. vol. 11 (9).
- (2017) Harmonic Resonance Mode Analysis in dq Domain. The Renewable Energies and Power Quality Journal (RE&PQJ). vol. 1 (15).
- (2016) Evaluation of the Fluid Model Approach for the Sizing of Energy Storage in Wave-Wind Energy Systems. Energies. vol. 9 (3).
- (2015) Impact of technical power take-off constraints on the power extraction of unidirectional and bidirectional point absorbers. Compel. vol. 34 (6).
- (2015) Passive filter design and offshore wind turbine modelling for system level harmonic studies. Energy Procedia. vol. 80.
- (2014) The challenges of offshore grids. Pan European Networks: Science and Techology Magazine.
- (2014) Modeling and Control of a Wave Energy Farm Including Energy Storage for Power Quality Enhancement: the Bimep Case Study. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. vol. 29 (3).
- (2013) Effect of the generator sizing on a wave energy converter considering different control strategies. Compel. vol. 32 (1).
- (2013) Exploring the Potential for Increased Production from the Wave Energy Converter Lifesaver by Reactive Control. Energies. vol. 6 (8).
- (2013) Stochastic Rating of Storage Systems in Isolated Networks withIncreasing Wave Energy Penetration. Energies. vol. 6 (5).