Background and activities
Elisabetta Tedeschi (1980) is a Professor at the Department of Electric Power Engineering. She belongs to the Power Electronic Systems and Components (PESC) Group.
She is a member of the "Outstanding Academic Fellows Programme" of NTNU
She has a PhD in Industrial Engineering from the University of Padova, Italy, and a 5 year “Laurea” degree (M.Sc. equivalent - with honors) from the same university.
Main fields of research:
Offshore energy systems. Design and control of energy conversion systems for marine energy applications, including:
- Control and stability issues arising in offshore HVAC and HVDC (including multi-terminal configurations) transmission systems.
- Analysis of the power quality issues arising from the grid connection of multi-MW marine energy farms and compliance with local grid codes.
- Development of control strategies to maximize the energy extraction in the single wave energy converter (WEC) with a reduced rating of the Power Take-Off.
- Design and control of power electronics conversion systems for multi-MW wind turbines.
- Evaluation of energy storage needs in offshore energy farms and trade-off analysis of the rating/performance.
Distributed compensation and cooperative control in non-sinusoidal electric networks and micro-grids Optimized management of distributed compensation systems controlled in a cooperative way for application in distorted electric networks (e.g. offshore wind farms) and operation of micro-grid with significant renewable energy shares. In particular:
- Analysis and characterization of electric networks working under non sinusoidal conditions, due to the high penetration of power electronics converters.
- Development of optimized control techniques for reactive, harmonic and unbalance compensation in distributed applications.
- Study of renewable energies and storage integration into micro-grids.
- May 2014- present: Professor, Department of Electric Power Engineering, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (Trondheim, Norway)
- May 2013 – April 2014: Research Scientist (80% position), SINTEF Energy (Trondheim, Norway
- January 2013 – May 2014: Adjunct Associate Professor (20% position), Department of Electric Power Engineering, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (Trondheim, Norway)
- 2011-2013: Experienced Researcher, Tecnalia Research & Innovation (Derio, Spain)
- 2009-2010: Abel grant under the NILS mobility Project for 6 months research at the University of The Basque Country, (Bilbao, Spain)
- 2009-2011: Postdoctoral research associate, Department of Electric Power Engineering (NTNU) (Trondheim, Norway)
Specialization course: ELK-23 “Power Electronics in Future Power Systems” – Fall semester (2014 - present)
PhD Course: ET8304 “Power Theories and Compensation with Power Electronics” – Spring semester (2016 - present)
International guest lecturer within the PhD/MSc course: "Distributed generation and compensation in low-voltage microgrids" offered at the Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brasil. Lecture on "The Instantaneous Power Theory" (2019).
International guest lecturer within the "Master in Offshore Renewable Energy" offered at the University of the Basque Country, Bilbao, Spain. Module on "The role of power electronics in modern power systems" (2018).
International guest lecturer within the PhD/MSc course: "Modern electric power circuit analysis" offered at the Universidade Estadual Paulista, Sao paulo, Brasil. Lecture on "The Conservative Power Theory: origin and evolution" (2018).
MSc. Course: TET4850 “Experts in teamwork: The energy challenge for a sustainable future” – Spring semester (2015, 2016)
Principal scientific responsibilities and referee activities
- Ongoing supervision of 5 PhD fellows and 2 Post-Doctoral Fellows.
- National coordinator and member of the Joint Programme Board of the Joint International Master in Renewable Energy in the Marine Environment (Erasmus+).
- Topic Chair for the topic: “Other topics in control, modeling and optimization of power converters” of the IEEE ECCE 2019
- Member of the Steering Committee of the 5th IEEE Southern Power Electronics Conference, IEEE SPEC/COBEP 2019
- Member of the Programme Committee of the IEEE Workshop on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics, IEEE COMPEL 2018
- Program Chair of the IEEE Workshop on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics, IEEE COMPEL 2016
- Member of the Program Committee of the IEEE EVER-Monaco Conferences since 2012.
- Member of the Technical Programme Committee of the IEEE Smart 2015 Conference
- Topic Chair for the topic: “Stability and power quality” of the IEEE ECCE 2013.
- Scientific evaluator for Innovation Canada.
- Scientific evaluator for the Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and research.
- Scientific evaluator for the Chilean Research Council.
- Scientific evaluator for the Croatian Science Foundation.
- Reviewer of book proposals for Cambridge University Press, Institution of Engineering & Technology (IET), Elsevier, John Wiley & Sons.
- Reviewer for the IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, IEEE Transactions of Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, the IET Renewable Power Generation, the MDPI Energies journal, the AIP Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (COMPEL), and several international conferences.
Participation/leadership of (selected) research projects and experience in international scientific collaboration
- 2019-22 Vista "EGO-OFF-STORE" project (Project manager), NTNU, Norway
- 2018-21 NFR "HES-OFF" project (Work-package leader), NTNU, Norway
- 2018-20 EU-H2020 "IMAGINE" project (NTNU Project manager/Work-package leader), NTNU, Norway
- 2017-20 NFR "NB_POCCREI" project (Project manager), NTNU, Norway
- 2016-19 NFR “IDeCON” project (Project manager), NTNU, Norway
- 2016-19 EU-Era-Net/NFR “CloudGrid” project (NTNU Project manager/Work-package leader), NTNU, Norway
- 2015-16 “Sustainable Energy Solutions for Powering Offshore Oil and Gas Installations”- Research contract with Statoil A.S., (NTNU Project manager), NTNU, Norway
- 2014-15: EEA-"Offshore 4.5 MW Wind modules" Research contract with Ingeteam S.A., (NTNU Project manager), NTNU, Norway
- 2013-14: EU-FP7 Marinet (SINTEF Project Leader), SINTEF, Norway
- 2013-14: EU-FP7 MARINA Platform (Researcher), NTNU, Norway
- 2013-14: KPN ProOfGrids, (Researcher), SINTEF, Norway;
- 2011-12: EU-FP7 Sea2grid (Principal Investigator), Tecnalia, Spain
- 2010-11: EEA - Grid connection of Wave Energy Converters, with specific focus on Wave Energy Farms (Principal Investigator), NTNU, Spain
International Academy Membership
- Senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (+IEEE PELS, IES, PES and WIE)
- Member of the Ocean Energy Europe
- Member of the Italian Register of Engineers since 2005
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Sizing of Hybrid Energy Storage Systems for Inertial and Primary Frequency Control. Frontiers in Energy Research. vol. 9 (649200).
- (2021) Resistive Shaping of Interconnected Low-Voltage Microgrids Operating Under Distorted Voltages. IEEE transactions on industrial electronics (1982. Print).
- (2021) Optimal Linear Controller for Minimizing DC Voltage Oscillations in MMC-Based Offshore Multiterminal HVDC Grids. IEEE Access. vol. 9.
- (2021) Distributed Control Strategy for Low-Voltage Three-Phase Four-Wire Microgrids: Consensus Power-Based Control. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid.
- (2021) On Adaptive Moving Average Algorithms for the Application of the Conservative Power Theory in Systems with Variable Frequency. Energies. vol. 14 (4).
- (2021) Understanding the Effects of Exponentially Decaying DC Currents on the Dual dq Control of Power Converters in Systems with High X/R. Compatibility in power electronics.
- (2021) Passive model predictive control on a two-body self-referenced point absorber wave energy converter. Energies.
- (2021) Active Power Filter Pre-Selection Tool to Enhance the Power Quality in Oil and Gas Platforms. Energies.
- (2020) Sufficient Conditions for Robust Frequency Stability of AC Power Systems. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems.
- (2020) Three-Dimensional Representation of Electrical Circuit Quantities. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems.
- (2020) Distributed Selective Harmonic Mitigation and Decoupled Unbalance Compensation by Coordinated Inverters in Three-Phase Four-Wire Low-Voltage Networks. Electric power systems research. vol. 186.
- (2020) Control Optimization of the Offshore HVDC Grid based on Modular Multilevel Converter for Improving DC Voltage Stability. The Renewable Energies and Power Quality Journal (RE&PQJ). vol. 18.
- (2020) Comparative Evaluation of AC and DC Power Distribution Systems for Underwater Vehicles Based on Multiobjective Optimization Techniques. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery.
- (2020) Innovative Hybrid Energy System for stable Power and Heat Supply in offshore oil & gas Installation (HES-OFF): System Design and Grid Stability. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 48.
- (2020) Optimal Design of a Hybrid Energy System for the Supply of Clean and Stable Energy to Offshore Installations. Frontiers in Energy Research. vol. 8.
- (2020) A small-signal multi-frequency model for a grid-connected inverter with a more accurate PWM gain. CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems (JPES). vol. 6 (2).
- (2020) Improving electric power generation of a standalone wave energy converter via optimal electric load control. Energy. vol. 211.
- (2019) Compenscão distribuída de harmônicos em microrredes monofãsicas de baixa Tensâo. The XXII Brazilian Conference on Automation.
- (2019) Smart Load Management with Energy Storage for Power Quality Enhancement in Wind-Powered Oil and Gas Applications. Energies. vol. 12 (15).
- (2019) PI Passivity-Based Control and Performance Analysis of MMC Multiterminal HVDC Systems. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. vol. 7 (4).