Background and activities
Head of the research group “Women’s health and PCOS” at the Institute for Laboratory Medicine, Children’s and Women’s health, and at the Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynecology, St. Olav`s Hospital Trondheim, Norway
Principal investigator of the «Metformin treatment of pregnant PCOS women and prevention of preterm birth» (The PregMet2) study, a Nordic RCT, funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
Principal investigator of the “Intrauterine metformin exposure and long-term health of the children” (The PedMet1 study) a multicenter RCT, funded by the Norwegian Research Council, Novo Nordisk and The Joint Research Council at St.Olavs Hospital and The Faculty of Medicine, NTNU.
Principal investigator of the “Intrauterine metformin exposure and cognitive development in children born to PCOS mothers and control mothers” (The CogMet study) funded by Novo Nordisk and The Joint Research Council at St.Olavs Hospital and The Faculty of Medicine, NTNU.
We investigate polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) in both pregnant and non-pregnant women. Main focus is randomized clinical trials where the effect of metformin is explored. We follow up women before, during and after pregnancy and their children with somatic and cognitive examinations. Our aim is to survey long-term health of mothers with PCOS and their children. We explore possible consequences of PCOS and possible effects of metformin on hemodynamics, pharmacokinetics, weight development, body composition, hormones, metabolism and lung function.
Other area of interests is breastfeeding related to maternal and offspring long-term health, patient claims in gynecology, labour induction, breech deliveries and hyperemesis in pregnancy.
We have ongoing co-operation with the Dept. of Pediatrics, Dept. of Clinical Pharmacology, Inst. for Cancer Research and Molecular Biology; research group for “Inflammation and genetics in pregnancy” and research group «Excercise, cariometabolic health and reproduction».
We also have ongoing clinical and epidemiological studies and co-operation with established research groups in Bergen (Norway), Sweden, Finland, USA, Canada, and Australia where we explore different aspects of PCOS, obesity and breastfeeding.
Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Institute of LBK/The Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian university of Science and Technology
Consultant at Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynecology, St. Olav\s Hospital, Trondheim, Norway.
1986 MD at the University of Linköping, Sweden
1995 Specialist in gynecologi and obstetrics,
2005 PhD thesis
2014 Professor at Institute for LBK, DMF, NTNU
Diabetes in pregnancy, obesity and life style in pregnancy, ante-natal and post-natal care in general practice.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) High-intensity interval training in polycystic ovary syndrome: a two-centre, three-armed randomized controlled trial. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.
- (2021) Metformin serum concentrations during pregnancy and postpartum - a clinical study in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome. Basic & Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology.
- (2021) No impact of gestational diabetes mellitus on pregnancy complications in women with PCOS, regardless of GDM criteria used. PLOS ONE.
- (2021) Maternal PCOS status and metformin in pregnancy: Steroid hormones in 5–10 years old children from the PregMet randomized controlled study. PLOS ONE. vol. 16 (9).
- (2021) Systemic immunological perturbations and placental pathology in preeclampsia. Placenta. vol. 112.
- (2021) Longitudinal serum cytokine profiles in gestational hypertension and preeclampsia. Pregnancy Hypertension. vol. 25.
- (2021) Markante immunologiske forandringer i ulike stadier av svangerskapet. Gynekologen.
- (2021) Cytokine Patterns in Maternal Serum From First Trimester to Term and Beyond. Frontiers in Immunology. vol. 12.
- (2021) Higher blood pressure in normal weight women with pcos compared to controls. Endocrine Connections. vol. 10 (2).
- (2021) Gestational weight gain, appetite regulating hormones, and metformin treatment in polycystic ovary syndrome: a longitudinal, placebo-controlled study. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
- (2021) Ureteric injuries during hysterectomy—A Norwegian retrospective study of occurrence and claims for compensation over an 11-year period. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica.
- (2021) Metformin mobiliserer immunforsvaret og gir færre infeksjoner hos gravide kvinner med polycystisk ovariesyndrom. Gynekologen. vol. 3.
- (2021) Metformin changes serum cytokines in pregnant women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Pregnancy Hypertension. vol. 25.
- (2021) Changes in serum cytokines throughout pregnancy in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (JCEM). vol. 107.
- (2021) Immunologiske forandringer under svangerskapet hos kvinner med polycystisk ovariesyndrom. Gynekologen. vol. 3.
- (2021) Polycystic ovary syndrome and extremely preterm birth: A nationwide register-based study. PLOS ONE. vol. 16 (2).
- (2020) Sustained Maternal Hyperandrogenism During PCOS Pregnancy Reduced by Metformin in Non-obese Women Carrying a Male Fetus. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (JCEM).
- (2020) Proactive versus standard support of labour in nulliparous women; study protocol for a randomized, controlled trial. Trials.
- (2020) Cognitive function in metformin exposed children, born to mothers with PCOS – follow-up of an RCT. BMC Pediatrics. vol. 20 (60).
- (2020) Improving reproductive function in women with polycystic ovary syndrome with high-intensity interval training (IMPROV-IT): study protocol for a two-centre, three-armed randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open. vol. 10:e0344733 (2).