Background and activities
I am currently a postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Computer Science of NTNU and member of the Learner-Computer Interaction (LCI) group. I hold a Ph.D. from Università della Svizzera italiana (USI) in Lugano, Switzerland since April 2018. During my Ph.D., I was a member of the FET Open RECALL EU project, in a consortium comprised of the world-leading research institutions of Lancaster University (UK), University of Stuttgart (Germany), and Essex University (UK), exploring the areas of human memory augmentation and HCI. After successfully defending my Ph.D. thesis on the "Role of Context in Human Memory Augmentation", I joined North Inc., in Kitchener, Canada as HCI Research Scientist and Project Lead in the Advanced R&D department. At North Inc., I was part of the team that designed, developed and successfully launched Focals, the first socially acceptable smart glasses that closely resemble a typical pair of glasses. My research career started in Funchal, Portugal back in March 2011, when I joined Madeira-Interactive Technologies Institute (M-ITI) and Universidade da Madeira (UMa) as a research assistant, developing tools that elicit User Experience (UX) levels for mobile applications. I am currently working in "Cognition 2.0" project, funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF), for developing and designing "neuroadaptive interfaces" that augment our perception and cognition. Ultimately, I am interested in utilizing technology for extending our capacities beyond the humanly possible.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
- (2020) Endowing Head-Mounted Displays with Physiological Sensing for Augmenting Human Learning and Cognition. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 2610.
- (2020) Assessing cognitive performance using physiological and facial features: Generalizing across contexts. PACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies.
Part of book/report
- (2020) Would you do it?: Enacting Moral Dilemmas in Virtual Reality for Understanding Ethical Decision-Making. CHI '20: Proceedings of the 2020 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- (2019) Designing for Task Resumption Support in Mobile Learning. MobileHCI '19: Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services 2019.
- (2019) Exploring EEG signals during the different phases of game-player interaction. 2019 11th International Conference on Virtual Worlds and Games for Serious Applications (VS-Games).
- (2019) EEGlass: An EEG-Eyeware Prototype for Ubiquitous Brain-Computer Interaction. UbiComp/ISWC '19 Adjunct: Adjunct Proceedings of the 2019 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Proceedings of the 2019 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers.