Background and activities
Fabio Sgarbossa is Full Professor of Industrial Logistics at the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at NTNU (Norway) from October 2018. He has received his Master Degree in Management Engineering in 2005 and his PhD in Industrial Engineering in 2010, both at the University of Padova (Italy).
The main activities of his research are as follows:
- design and management of industrial logistics and production systems,
- supply chain management and logistics networks,
- technological innovation and digitalization in logistics,
- materials handling and warehousing,
- material management and inventory control,
- maintenance and reliability,
- human factors in logistics and industrial systems,
- health care logistics and humanitarian logistics.
He is working within the Production Management Group at MTP and he is now responsible of the new Lab Logistics 4.0 at NTNU. He has been and he is involved in several European and National Projects.
He is author and co-author of about 120 publications in relevant international journals and international research conferences (first was published in 2007). The scopus database (May, 2021) has him listed as follows: https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=17346547400:
- n° papers: 125
- total n° of citations: 2246
- h-index: 27.
He is currently Associate Editor of International Journal of Production Research. He has been also guest editor of several Special Issues in relevant International Journals, such as Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Computers and Industrial Engineering and Omega. He has been member of Organizing and Scientific Committees and Session Chairman of several International Conferences and Workshops (INCOM, MIM, others).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Advances in Spare Parts Classification and Forecasting for Inventory Control: A Literature Review. IFAC-PapersOnLine.
- (2021) The complementary effect of lean manufacturing and digitalisation on operational performance. International Journal of Production Research. vol. 59 (7).
- (2021) Cost modelling of onboard cobot-supported item sorting in a picking system. International Journal of Production Research. vol. 59 (11).
- (2021) Including rest allowance in mixed-model assembly lines. International Journal of Production Research.
- (2021) Autonomous mobile robots in sterile instrument logistics: An evaluation of the material handling system for a strategic fit framework. Production planning & control (Print).
- (2021) Increasing flexibility and productivity in Industry 4.0 production networks with autonomous mobile robots and smart intralogistics. Annals of Operations Research.
- (2021) Planning and control of autonomous mobile robots for intralogistics: Literature review and research agenda. European Journal of Operational Research. vol. 294 (2).
- (2021) On hierarchical bayesian based predictive maintenance of autonomous natural gas regulating operations. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. vol. 147.
- (2021) Designing and developing smart production planning and control systems in the industry 4.0 era: a methodology and case study. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing.
- (2021) Decision support model for implementing assistive technologies in assembly activities: a case study. International Journal of Production Research.
- (2021) Conventional or additive manufacturing for spare parts management: An extensive comparison for Poisson demand. International Journal of Production Economics. vol. 233.
- (2020) Centralised healthcare supply networks for efficient and sustainable drug management: An Italian case study. International Journal of Integrated Supply Management. vol. 13 (4).
- (2020) Door-to-door waste collection: Analysis and recommendations for improving ergonomics in an Italian case study. Waste Management. vol. 109.
- (2020) Ageing workforce management in manufacturing systems: state of the art and future research agenda. International Journal of Production Research. vol. 58 (3).
- (2020) Modelling time efficiency of cobot-supported kit preparation. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. vol. 106 (5-6).
- (2020) Workers’ rest allowance and smoothing of the workload in assembly lines. International Journal of Production Research. vol. 58 (4).
- (2020) Comparison of risk-based maintenance approaches applied to a natural gas regulating and metering station. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 82.
- (2020) Smart Production Planning and Control: Concept, Use-Cases and Sustainability Implications. Sustainability. vol. 12 (9).
- (2020) Digital Facility Layout Planning. Sustainability. vol. 12 (8).
- (2020) Human factors in production and logistics systems of the future. Annual Reviews in Control. vol. 49.