Background and activities
Fabio Sgarbossa is Full Professor of Industrial Logistics at the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at NTNU (Norway) from October 2018. He has received his Master Degree in Management Engineering in 2005 and his PhD in Industrial Engineering in 2010, both at the University of Padova (Italy).
The main activities of his research are as follows:
- design and management of industrial logistics and production systems,
- supply chain management and logistics networks,
- technological innovation and digitalization in logistics,
- materials handling and warehousing,
- material management and inventory control,
- maintenance and reliability,
- human factors in logistics and industrial systems,
- health care logistics and humanitarian logistics.
He is working within the Production Management Group at MTP and he is now responsible of the new Lab Logistics 4.0 at NTNU. He has been and he is involved in several European and National Projects.
He is author and co-author of about 120 publications in relevant international journals and international research conferences (first was published in 2007). The scopus database (May, 2021) has him listed as follows: https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=17346547400:
- n° papers: 125
- total n° of citations: 2246
- h-index: 27.
He is currently Associate Editor of International Journal of Production Research. He has been also guest editor of several Special Issues in relevant International Journals, such as Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Computers and Industrial Engineering and Omega. He has been member of Organizing and Scientific Committees and Session Chairman of several International Conferences and Workshops (INCOM, MIM, others).
- TPK4135 - Manufacturing Logistics
- TPK4530 - Production Management, Specialization Project
- TPK4930 - Production Management, Master's Thesis
- PK6028 - Production and Supply Chain Management
- PK8001 - Models and Approaches for Logistics 4.0
- MAST2011 - Material and Production Management
- TPK4430 - Production Management and Logistics
- TPK4100 - Operations Management
- TPK4131 - Design of Industrial Logistics Systems
- TPK4165 - ERP and PLM Systems
- PK6019 - Maintenance Management
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) A novel decision support system for managing predictive maintenance strategies based on machine learning approaches. Safety Science. vol. 149.
- (2022) Increasing flexibility and productivity in Industry 4.0 production networks with autonomous mobile robots and smart intralogistics. Annals of Operations Research. vol. 308.
- (2022) Age-based preventive maintenance with multiple printing options. International Journal of Production Economics.
- (2022) Designing and developing smart production planning and control systems in the industry 4.0 era: a methodology and case study. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. vol. 33.
- (2022) A decision support system for designing win–win interventions impacting occupational safety and operational performance in ageing workforce contexts. Safety Science.
- (2021) Advances in Spare Parts Classification and Forecasting for Inventory Control: A Literature Review. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 54 (1).
- (2021) The complementary effect of lean manufacturing and digitalisation on operational performance. International Journal of Production Research. vol. 59 (7).
- (2021) A Joint Assembly Line Balancing and Feeding Problem (JALBFP) considering direct and indirect supply strategies. International Journal of Production Research.
- (2021) Design and management of assembly systems 4.0: systematic literature review and research agenda. International Journal of Production Research.
- (2021) Cost modelling of onboard cobot-supported item sorting in a picking system. International Journal of Production Research. vol. 59 (11).
- (2021) Including rest allowance in mixed-model assembly lines. International Journal of Production Research. vol. 59 (24).
- (2021) Machine learning-based predictive maintenance: A cost-oriented model for implementation. International Journal of Production Economics. vol. 236.
- (2021) Autonomous mobile robots in sterile instrument logistics: An evaluation of the material handling system for a strategic fit framework. Production planning & control (Print).
- (2021) Planning and control of autonomous mobile robots for intralogistics: Literature review and research agenda. European Journal of Operational Research. vol. 294 (2).
- (2021) On hierarchical bayesian based predictive maintenance of autonomous natural gas regulating operations. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. vol. 147.
- (2021) On risk-based maintenance: A comprehensive review of three approaches to track the impact of consequence modelling for predicting maintenance actions. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 72.
- (2021) Learning Through Action: On the Use of Logistics4.0 Lab as Learning Developer. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology.
- (2021) Impact of Failure Rate Uncertainties on the Implementation of Additive Manufacturing in Spare Parts Supply Chains. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology.
- (2021) Decision support model for implementing assistive technologies in assembly activities: a case study. International Journal of Production Research.
- (2021) Smart production planning and control: do all planning environments need to be smart?. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 54 (1).