france rose hartline
Background and activities
Project: The (Trans)Gender Equality Paradox: Assessing the Limitations of Norway’s Gender Recognition Law
france is researching the impact of the July 2016 law reform that enables individuals in Norway to change their juridical gender without medical sterilisation or state assessment. Situated in the poststructuralist framework of queer identity theory, france’s research examines how transpeople’s personal experiences and social roles are shaped by the law reform. Special focus is given to the socio-legal framework that informs cultural understandings of gender. Through interviews with trans people who have changed their legal gender since the law reform, france seeks to demonstrate how subjectivities are materialised through gendered citizenship. Ultimately, he hopes to both explore the link between legal identity and personal experiences, as well as better inform public and state discussions on what changes may be best for the Norwegian trans movement. Having begun in May 2016, he plans to complete his work by May 2019.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Assessing Norway’s Gender Recognition Act of 2016: Analysing personal experiences of legal gender change. International Journal of Gender, Sexuality and Law. vol. 1 (1).
- (2020) Exploring the (Cis)Gender Imaginary in the Nordic Region. Journal of Gender Studies. vol. 1 (23).
- (2020) Queering representation: Reflecting on reflexivity in my doctoral research. DiGeSt Journal of Diversity and Gender Studies. vol. 7 (1).
- (2019) (Trans)gender outlaws? A critical analysis of Norway's 2016 gender self-determination law. Tijdschrift voor Genderstudies. vol. 21 (4).
- (2019) Examining Trans Narratives in the Wake of Norway’s Gender Recognition Law. a/b: Auto/Biography Studies. vol. 34 (1).
Part of book/report
- (2015) [the space in between]: The Power of Contemporary Art to Reimagine Gender. Proceedings from the Summer School for Sexualities, Cultures and Politics 2014.
- (2020) The (trans)gender equality paradox Challenging Norway's 2016 law on gender recognition. 2020. ISBN 978-82-326-4440-7. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2020/44).