Background and activities
Francesco Goia is Associate Professor in Building Physics and Material Science at the Faculty of Architecture and Fine Arts, Norwegian University of Science and Technology. He holds a Ph.D. in Energetics from the Polytechnic University of Turin and a co-jont Ph.D. in Architecture from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
Francesco was educated in the field of architecture and architectural engineering at the Polytechnic University of Turin and Polytechnic University of Milan (joint M.Sc.), Italy. He also obtained the Diploma from the High Polytechnic School (Alta Scuola Politecnica). Further specialization includes a master in Materials for Energy and Environment.
His main research activity concerns the ideation and assessment of strategies, technologies and systems for energy efficient buildings, with a focus on the dynamic behaviour and operation of building envelope components and integration of technologies and systems for renewable energy source harvesting. He is and has been involved in several experimental, laboratory and numerical/modelling activities aimed at assessing new technologies for responsive building envelope components, for solar energy and daylighting exploitation and for energy management in buildings.
The list of his technical and scientific expertise includes: thermal and energy analysis of buildings, energy management techniques and energy rating; environmental monitoring, thermal comfort and indoor air quality, systems and equipment for HVAC, lighting and solar energy exploitation; artificial light and daylight calculation and design; design of experiments and data analysis techniques, optical and thermo-physical properties characterization; mathematical modelling of physical and building physics phenomena; numerical simulations.
He is co-author of more than 40 publications, including research articles published in international, peer-reviewed journals; he has been and is an active member of different IEA Annex/Task groups and COST actions. He is a review for relevant peer-review scientific journals in the field of energy, environment and construction.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Thermal and electrical performance of an integrated PV-PCM system in double skin façades: A numerical study. Solar Energy. vol. 136.
- (2016) Experimental analysis of the energy performance of an ACTive, RESponsive and Solar (ACTRESS) façade module. Solar Energy. vol. 133 (8).
- (2016) Search for the optimal window-to-wall ratio in office buildings in different European climates and the implications on total energy saving potential. Solar Energy. vol. 132.
- (2016) Physical-chemical properties evolution and thermal properties reliability of a paraffin wax under solar radiation exposure in a real-scale PCM window system. Energy and Buildings. vol. 119.
- (2016) Numerical model and simulation of a solar thermal collector with slurry Phase Change Material (PCM) as the heat transfer fluid. Solar Energy. vol. 134.
- (2015) Thermal and optical properties of a thermotropic glass pane: Laboratory and in-field characterization. Energy Procedia. vol. 78.
- (2015) Impact of opaque building envelope configuration on the heating and cooling energy need of a single family house in cold climates. Energy Procedia. vol. 78.
- (2015) Spectral and angular solar properties of a PCM-filled double glazing unit. Energy and Buildings. vol. 87 (1).
- (2015) Dynamic thermal performance of a PCM window system: characterization using large scale measurements. Energy Procedia. vol. 78.
- (2014) Experimental assessment of the energy performance of an advanced responsive multifunctional facade module. Energy and Buildings. vol. 68 (1).
- (2014) Experimental analysis of an advanced dynamic glazing prototype integrating PCM and thermotropic layers. Energy Procedia. vol. 48.
- (2014) Energy performance assessment of an advanced integrated façade through experimental data analysis. Energy Procedia. vol. 48.
- (2014) Experimental analysis of the energy performance of a full-scale PCM glazing prototype. Solar Energy. vol. 100.
- (2014) Characterization and energy performance of a slurry PCM- based solar thermal collector: A numerical analysis. Energy Procedia. vol. 48.
- (2013) Numerical Model of a Slurry PCM-Based Solar Thermal Collector. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering. vol. 263 (3).
- (2013) Energy Performance Assessment of Advanced Integrated Façades by Means of Synthetic Metrics. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering. vol. 263 (3).
- (2013) Optimizing the configuration of a façade module for office buildings by means of integrated thermal and lighting simulations in a total energy perspective. Applied Energy. vol. 108.
- (2013) Improving thermal comfort conditions by means of PCM glazing systems. Energy and Buildings. vol. 60 (5).
- (2013) Possibilities for characterization of a PCM window system using large scale measurements. International Journal of Sustainable Built Environment.
- (2012) Thermo-physical behaviour and energy performance assessment of PCM glazing system configurations: A numerical analysis. Frontiers of Architectural Research. vol. 1 (4).