Background and activities
Francesco Goia is Associate Professor in Building Physics and Material Science at the Faculty of Architecture and Fine Arts, Norwegian University of Science and Technology. He holds a Ph.D. in Energetics from the Polytechnic University of Turin and a co-jont Ph.D. in Architecture from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
Francesco was educated in the field of architecture and architectural engineering at the Polytechnic University of Turin and Polytechnic University of Milan (joint M.Sc.), Italy. He also obtained the Diploma from the High Polytechnic School (Alta Scuola Politecnica). Further specialization includes a master in Materials for Energy and Environment.
His main research activity concerns the ideation and assessment of strategies, technologies and systems for energy efficient buildings, with a focus on the dynamic behaviour and operation of building envelope components and integration of technologies and systems for renewable energy source harvesting. He is and has been involved in several experimental, laboratory and numerical/modelling activities aimed at assessing new technologies for responsive building envelope components, for solar energy and daylighting exploitation and for energy management in buildings.
The list of his technical and scientific expertise includes: thermal and energy analysis of buildings, energy management techniques and energy rating; environmental monitoring, thermal comfort and indoor air quality, systems and equipment for HVAC, lighting and solar energy exploitation; artificial light and daylight calculation and design; design of experiments and data analysis techniques, optical and thermo-physical properties characterization; mathematical modelling of physical and building physics phenomena; numerical simulations.
He is co-author of more than 40 publications, including research articles published in international, peer-reviewed journals; he has been and is an active member of different IEA Annex/Task groups and COST actions. He is a review for relevant peer-review scientific journals in the field of energy, environment and construction.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Phase Change Materials in Transparent Building Envelopes: A Strengths, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats (SWOT) Analysis. Energies. vol. 11 (1).
- (2017) Responsive glazing systems: Characterisation methods and winter performance. Solar Energy. vol. 155.
- (2017) Responsive glazing systems: Characterisation methods, summer performance and implications on thermal comfort. Solar Energy. vol. 158.
- (2017) Balancing competing parameters in search of optimal configurations for a fix louvre blade system with integrated PV. Energy Procedia. vol. 122.
- (2017) Empirical validation and local sensitivity analysis of a lumped-parameter thermal model of an outdoor test cell. Building and Environment. vol. 130.
- (2017) Phase Change Materials in Glazing: Implications on Light Distribution and Visual Comfort. Preliminary Results. Energy Procedia. vol. 111.
- (2017) Energy performance assessment of a semi-integrated PV system in a zero emission building through periodic linear regression method. Energy Procedia. vol. 132.
- (2017) Simplified metrics for advanced window systems. Effects on the estimation of energy use for space heating and cooling. Energy Procedia. vol. 122.
- (2017) The ZEB Test Cell Laboratory. A facility for characterization of building envelope systems under real outdoor conditions. Energy Procedia. vol. 132.
- (2017) Daylighting availability in a living laboratory single family house and implication on electric lighting energy demand. Energy Procedia. vol. 122.
- (2017) Advanced transparent facades: Market available products and associated challenges in building performance simulation. Energy Procedia. vol. 132.
- (2016) Thermal and electrical performance of an integrated PV-PCM system in double skin façades: A numerical study. Solar Energy. vol. 136.
- (2016) Experimental analysis of the energy performance of an ACTive, RESponsive and Solar (ACTRESS) façade module. Solar Energy. vol. 133 (8).
- (2016) Search for the optimal window-to-wall ratio in office buildings in different European climates and the implications on total energy saving potential. Solar Energy. vol. 132.
- (2016) Physical-chemical properties evolution and thermal properties reliability of a paraffin wax under solar radiation exposure in a real-scale PCM window system. Energy and Buildings. vol. 119.
- (2016) Numerical model and simulation of a solar thermal collector with slurry Phase Change Material (PCM) as the heat transfer fluid. Solar Energy. vol. 134.
- (2015) Thermal and optical properties of a thermotropic glass pane: Laboratory and in-field characterization. Energy Procedia. vol. 78.
- (2015) Impact of opaque building envelope configuration on the heating and cooling energy need of a single family house in cold climates. Energy Procedia. vol. 78.
- (2015) Spectral and angular solar properties of a PCM-filled double glazing unit. Energy and Buildings. vol. 87 (1).
- (2015) Dynamic thermal performance of a PCM window system: characterization using large scale measurements. Energy Procedia. vol. 78.