Background and activities
Frode Rønning is appointed as professor at Department of Mathematical Sciences since 2013. He is leader of the research group for didactics of mathematics. He holds the degrees of cand.scient. and dr.scient. from NTNU in complex analysis. His research areas are language and concept development in matematics, and developement of basic mathematics education for engineers.
Research and development projects
- MARTA - Matematikk som redskap for tanken (2021-2023)
- ACT! ACTive learning in core courses in mathematics and statistics for engineering education (2018-2020)
- Language Use and Development in the Mathematics Classroom (2015-2018)
- Kvalitet, tilgjengelighet og differensiering i grunnutdanningen i matematikk (2014-2017)
National and international service
- Vice president of European Society for Research in Mathematics Education (ERME)
- Member of Wissenschaftlicher Beirat for Kompetenzzentrum Hochschuldidaktik Mathematik
- Member of management board for MatRIC - Centre of Excellence in Education at University of Agder
- Expert evaluator for the Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet)
- Expert evaluator for Dansk PhD-råd
- Member of International Programme Committee for ICME14
- Member of International Organising Committee for CMFT21
- Member of Editorial Board for Mathematical Thinking and Learning
- Member of Editorial Board for Nordic Studies in Mathematics Education (NOMAD)
- Member of Editorial Board for Stockholm University Press
- Topic Editor for Mathematics
- MA2010 - Teacher Education Project in Mathematics
- MA6004 - Algebra, Functions and Modelling
- MA6060 - An Introduction to Theories of Knowledge and Learning of Mathematics
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Mathematics in a Programme for Electronic Systems Design and Innovation. The proceeding of 20th SEFI Special Interest Group in Mathematics - SIG in Mathematics conference.
- (2021) The Role of Fourier Series in Mathematics and in Signal Theory (https://rdcu.be/cmkBH). International Journal of Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education. vol. 7.
- (2021) Education and professional development of university mathematics teachers. Research and Development in University Mathematics Education. Overview Produced by the International Network for Research on Didactics of University Mathematics.
- (2020) Proceedings of the Seventh ERME Topic Conference on Language in the Mathematics Classroom. European Society for Research in Mathematics Education. 2020. ISBN 9788271512002.
- (2020) Language in the Mathematics Classroom: An introduction to the papers and presentations within ETC 7. Proceedings of the Seventh ERME Topic Conference on Language in the Mathematics Classroom.
- (2020) Language elements helping to see enlargement as a multiplicative situation. Proceedings of the Seventh ERME Topic Conference on Language in the Mathematics Classroom.
- (2020) Opportunities for language enhancement in a learning environment designed on the basis of the theory of didactical situations. ZDM: Mathematics Education.
- (2020) Seeing enlargement as a multiplicative situation. Proceedings of the Seventh ERME Topic Conference on Language in the Mathematics Classroom.
- (2020) Betydningen av en faglig og fagdidaktisk føranalyse i utviklingen av et undervisningsforløp. Samtaleorientert matematikk: Et samspill mellom didaktiske og adidaktiske situasjoner.
- (2019) Faglighed i gymnasiet. Matematik. Delrapport 2. 2019.
- (2019) Didactics of Mathematics as a Research Field in Scandinavia. European Traditions in Didactics of Mathematics.
- (2019) Interaktion, Aktivität und Sprachförderung beim Lernen von Hochschulmathematik - Beispiele aus einem Norwegischen Entwicklungsprojekt. Hanse-Kolloquium zur Hochschuldidaktik der Mathematik 2018.
- (2019) Sense and reference of signifiers for elements of polygons. Proceedings of the Eleventh Congress of the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education.
- (2018) Methoden zur Studentenaktivierung in der Ingenieursausbildung. Beiträge zum Mathematikunterricht 2018.
- (2017) Fra å kjenne igjen til å beskrive egenskaper - Om kanter og hjørner. Bedre Skole.
- (2017) Influence of computer-aided assessment on ways of working with mathematics. Teaching Mathematics and its Applications. vol. 36 (2).
- (2017) Innovative education in mathematics for engineers. Some ideas, possibilities and challenges. Didactics of Mathematics in Higher Education as a Scientific Discipline. Conference Proceedings.
- (2017) Bruk av digitale øvinger i grunnutdanningen i matematikk. Læring om læring. vol. 1.
- (2017) Entering the mathematical register through evolution of the material milieu for classification of polygons. Proceedings of the Tenth Congress of the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education (CERME 10).