Background and activities
Geir Wenberg Jacobsen (b. 1945)
Department of Public Health,
Norwegian University of Science and Technology – NTNU
Medical Candidate (MD), University of Oslo (Norway), 1971
Doctor of Public Health, Yale University (USA), 1992 Title of dissertation: A comparison between serial symphysis-fundus and ultrasound measurements to detect intrauterine growth deviations.
Epidemiology and biostatistics with focus on maternal development during pregnancy and growth and development of the child during the neonatal period and infancy, and adolescence until young adult age. The interest relates to an early randomised study of benefits and costs of ultrasound in pregnancy (published in Lancet, 1984). That led to involvement in a large Scandinavian multicenter study financed by the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) of causes and later consequences of restricted growth in fetal life. Principal investigator and Project manager of the study over the last 12-14 years and in charge of ongoing analyses of the relation between fetal life and later growth and development. A follow up of a sample of mothers and their offspring around 25 years of age are in preparation with focus on somatic and psychomotor development, behavior, cognitive functions, education, occupation and sociodemografic variables. A cooperation has been established with local (St Olavs Hospital/University Hospital in Trondheim and Sør-Trøndelag University College), national (Universities in Tromsø, University in Bergen and National Public Health Institute) international universities and research institutions (Yale University (USA). McGill University (Canada), Vrije Universiteit (The Netherlands) and the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (USA))
|2006-7||Head of Research and Development, St Olavs Hospital/Universitety Hospital in Trondheim|
|2005 >>||Medical Editor, Journal of the Norwegian Medical Association|
|1996-2000||Regional Course Coordinator, The Norwegian Medical Association|
|1995 >>||Professor, Department of Public Health, NTNU|
|1995-2000||National Editor, Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care|
|1986-95||Associate Professor, Department of Public Health, NTNU|
|1981-95||Physician-in-Charge, Bakklandet Sheltered Home, Trondheim|
|1979-86||Assistant Professor, Department of Public Health, NTNU|
|1978-87||Physician-in-Charge, Trondheim Old Age and Nursing Home, Trondheim|
|1973-81||General Practitioner, Hallset Medical Clinic, Trondheim|
|2009 >>||Head of Medical Student Research Program, Faculty of Medicine, NTNU|
|2004-5||Chairman, Department of Public Health, NTNU|
|2003-7||Chairman, Organizing Committee, AMEE 2007, Faculty of Medicine, NTNU|
|1999-2001||Vice Dean (Academics), Faculty of Medicine, NTNU|
|1997-8||Chairman, Undergraduate Research Initiative, Faculty of Medicine, NTNU|
|1995-2001||Vice & Acting Chairman, Human Investigation Committee (REK), NTNU|
|1993-4||Chairman, Department of Public Health, NTNU|
Has contributed to all pre- and postgraduate teaching programs of the Faculty of Medicine, NTNU since 1977 (General practice and community medicine, epidemiology and biostatistics). Developed the undergraduate research program in medicine. Comprehensive involvement (1975-2002) in postgraduate and continued medical education (CME) for physicians (General Practioners, GPs) in Norway (Clinical practice and research methods), responsible organiser (full or in part) for a large number of national and international courses, conferences, and congresses (General practice and Medical education). Initiatiator and co-responsible administrator of courses for medical practitioners educated outside Norway. Main- (2) and Co-Supervisor (5) of doctoral candidates (2000-9) and five undergraduate research essays in medicine. Currently, main- or co-supervisor for two phd-students, one student in the Medical Student Research Program, two undergraduate student researchers, and one GP researcher.
|2010||Yale University (USA): Sabbatical (12 months)|
|2004||University of Southern Denmark, Odense: Sabbatical (1 month)|
|2003-4||Yale University: Sabbatical (6 months)|
|2003||University of Southern Denmark, Odense: Sabbatical (2 months)|
|1988-92||Yale University: Doctor of Public Health Program (20 months)|
Nearly 100 publications in national and international peer reviewed medical journals (1984-2011).
Last five years:
- Harstad I, Jacobsen GW. Poor follow-up after screening for tuberculosis.Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2012;132:14-6. English, Norwegian
- Martinussen MP, Risnes KR, Jacobsen GW. Bracken MB. Folic acid supplementation in early pregnancy and asthma in children aged six. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Jan; 206(1):72.e1-7. Epub 2011 Jul 29
- Jacobsen GW. Kliniske registre må utnyttes bedre [Patient registers must be utilised better]. Tidsskr Nor legeforen 2011;131: 1539 (Editorial) Norwegian
- Hem E, Jacobsen GW. [Fatality, lethality, mortality]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2011;131:2374. Norwegian. No abstract
- Risnes KR, Vatten LJ, Baker JL, Jameson K, Sovio U, Kajantie E, Osler M, Morley R, Jokela M, Painter RC, Sundh V, Jacobsen GW, Eriksson JG, Sørensen TI, Bracken MB. Birthweight and mortality in adulthood: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Epidemiol. 2011 Jun; 40(3):647-61. Epub 2011 Feb 15. (Review)
- Villandré L, Hutcheon JA, Trejo, MEP, Abenhaim H, Jacobsen G, Platt RW. Modeling fetal weight for gestational age: A comparison of a flexible multi-level spline-based modell with other approaches. Int J Biostat 2011:7(1):32 (DOI: 10.2202/1556-46179.1305)
- Jacobsen GW, Hem E, Sigurdsson JA. «No doubt this childhood disease on Vestmannö can be prevented» - neonatal tetanus on the Westman Islands. Tidsskr Nor Legeforen nr. 7, 2011; 131: 701–6 Norwegian & English
- Stene LE, Dyb G, Jacobsen GW, Schei B. Psychotropic drug use among women exposed to intimate partner violence: A population-based study.Scand J Public Health. 2010 Nov; 38(5 Suppl):88-95
- Harstad I, Jacobsen GW, Heldal E, Winje BA, Vahedi S, Helvik AS, Steinshamn SL, Garåsen H. The role of entry screening in case finding of tuberculosis among asylum seekers in Norway.BMC Public Health. 2010 Nov 4; 10:670.
- Harstad I, Winje BA, Heldal E, Oftung F, Jacobsen GW. Predictive values of QuantiFERON®-TB screening for tuberculosis disease in asylum seekers Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2010; 14(9):1209-11
- Rückinger S, Beyerlein A, Jacobsen G, von Kries R, Vik T. Growth in utero and body mass index at age 5 years in children of smoking and non-smoking mothers.Early Hum Dev. 2010 Dec;86(12):773-7. Epub 2010 Sep 25.
- Hutcheon JA, Egeland GM, Morin L, Meltzer SJ, Jacobsen G, Platt RW. The predictive ability of conditional fetal growth percentiles.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2010 Mar; 24(2):131-9
- Harstad I, Heldal E, Steinshamn SL, Garåsen H, Winje BA, Jacobsen GW. Screening and treatment of latent tuberculosis in a cohort of asylum seekres in Norway. Scand J Public Health Scand J Public Health. 2009 Nov 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Carlsen SM, Jacobsen G, Vanky E.Mid-pregnancy androgen levels are negatively associated with breastfeeding.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2009 Nov 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Harstad I, Heldal E, Steinshamn SL, Garåsen H, Jacobsen GW. Tuberculosis screening and follow-up of asylum seekers in Norway. A cohort study. BMC Public Health 2009; 9: 141
- Helvik AS, Arnesen H, Wennberg S, Jacobsen G. [Use of hearing aid – coping and functional disability] Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 2008;128:2715-8. Norwegian
- Jacobsen G. [Largest within medical education] Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 2008;128:1850-1. Norwegian
- Steinsbekk A, Adams J, Sibbrit D, Jacobsen G, Johnsen R. Socio-demographic characteristics and health perceptions among male and female visitors to CAM practitioners in a total population study. Forsch Komplementmed 2008;15:146-51.
- Steinsbekk A, Adams J, Sibbritt D, Jacobsen G, Johnsen R.The profiles of adults who consult alternative health practitioners and/or general practitioners. Scand J Prim Health Care. 2007;25:86-92.
- Helvik AS, Thürmer H, Jacobsen GW, Bratt M, Hallberg LR. Psychometric evaluation of a Norwegian version of the Communication Strategies Scale of the Communication Profile for the Hearing Impaired. Disabil Rehabil. 2007;29:513-20.
- Helvik AS, Jacobsen G, Svebak S, Hallberg LR. Hearing impairment, sense of humour and communication strategies. Scand J Disabil Res 2007; 9: 1-13.
See more publications by Geir Jacobsen in Cristin
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) A systematic review of maternal smoking during pregnancy and fetal measurements with meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. vol. 12:e0170946 (2).
- (2017) Peak bone mass and bone microarchitecture in adults born with low birth weight preterm or at term: A cohort study. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. vol. 102 (7).
- (2017) Longitudinal ultrasound measures of fetal growth and offspring outcomes. Current Epidemiology Reports. vol. 4 (2).
- (2017) Maternal serum levels of perfluoroalkyl substances and organochlorines and indices of fetal growth: a Scandinavian case-cohort study. Pediatric Research. vol. 81 (1).
- (2017) Prenatal exposure to persistent organic pollutants and child overweight/obesity at 5-year follow-up: a prospective cohort study. Environmental health.
- (2017) Associations of maternal vitamin B12 concentration in pregnancy with the risks of preterm birth and low birth weight: a systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data. American Journal of Epidemiology. vol. 185 (3).
- (2016) Small Size at Birth or Abnormal Intrauterine Growth Trajectory: Which Matters More for Child Growth?. American Journal of Epidemiology. vol. 183 (12).
- (2016) The Scandinavian small-for-gestational age (SGA) pregnancy and birth cohort – A source to continual insight into fetal growth restriction and long term physical and neurodevelopmental health in mother and offspring. Norsk Epidemiologi. vol. 26 (1-2).
- (2016) Factors associated with maternal serum levels of perfluoroalkyl substances and organochlorines: A descriptive study of parous women in Norway and Sweden. PLoS ONE. vol. 11 (11).
- (2015) Folic acid supplementation in early pregnancy and the risk of preeclampsia, small for gestational age offspring and preterm delivery. European Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology. vol. 195.
- (2015) Fetal growth, cognitive function, and brain volumes in childhood and adolescence. Obstetrics and Gynecology. vol. 125 (3).
- (2014) Association between low blood glucose increase during glucose tolerance tests in pregnancy and impaired fetal growth. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica. vol. 93 (11).
- (2014) Baráttan við ginklofa í Vestmannaeyjum. Laeknabladid: The icelandic medical journal. vol. 100 (1).
- (2014) Decrease in use of manual vacuum aspiration in postabortion care in Malawi: A cross-sectional study from three public hospitals, 2008-2012. PLoS ONE. vol. 9 (6).
- (2014) Neuropsychological deficits in young adults born small-for-gestational age (SGA) at term. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society. vol. 20 (3).
- (2013) Fastlegeordningen og rusmisbrukerne. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. vol. 133 (11).
- (2013) Small for Gestational Age and Intrauterine Growth Restriction Decreases Cognitive Function in Young Adults. Journal of Pediatrics. vol. 163 (2).
- (2013) A prospective population-based cohort study of lactation and cardiovascular disease mortality: the HUNT study. BMC Public Health. vol. 13.
- (2013) Intimate partner violence and cardiovascular risk in women: a population-based cohort study. Journal of Women's Health. vol. 22 (3).
- (2012) Being born small for gestational age reduces white matter integrity in adulthood: a prospective cohort study. Pediatric Research. vol. 72 (6).