Background and activities
Geir Mathisen (1956) is a Professor at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics. He is a member of the research group Industrial Computer and Instrumentation Systems. Mathisen has a MSc and a PhD both from the Dept. of Engineering Cybernetics at NTNU.
Main fields of competence
- Smart Grid
- Development methodology
- System engineering
- Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC)
- Intelligent instrumentation
- Distributed micro controller systems (specification, architecture, design, programming, communication)
Selected Research Projects
- 2012 - 2015 National coordinator/project leader, work package leade. EU project: "I3RES - ICT-based Intelligent management of Integrated RES for the smart grid optimal operation", Smart Grid project for management of renewable energy sources integrated in the distribution grid.
- 2012 - 2015 National coordinator/project leader, work package leade. ARTEMIS project: "e-GOTHAM, Sustainable-Smart Grid Open System for the Aggregated Control, Monitoring and Management of Energy", Smart Grid project for energy management in micro-grids.
- 2003 – 2004 Project leader at SINTEF. EU project: “WIRENET, power line data exchange for domestic and industrial automation based on UWB approach”.
- 2002 – 2005 National coordinator/project leader. EU project: “COVELESS, standardization of cork quality evaluation through the development of a harmless electronic device”.
- 2002 – 2004 Project leader at SINTEF. EU project: “HEARING, Development of a sound synthesis set for audiometric stations and self-diagnosis”.
- 2018 - Professor, Dept. of Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU
- 2014-2018 Adjunct Professor, Dept. of Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU
- 2002-2014 Adjunct Associate Professor, NTNU
- 1982- 2018 SINTEF Automatic Control
- 1980-1981 Norwegian Electric Power Research Institute (EFI) / Royal Norwegian Navy. Automation of engine room on board on navy ships. Avoidance of electromagnetic interference
- 1980 SINTEF Petroleum Technology Research Institute. New instrumentation for quantification of drilling mud
- Tekna – The Norwegian Society of Graduate Technical and Scientific Professionals
- NFA – Norwegian Society of Automatic Control
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) A Cyber-Physical Systems Approach for Implementing the Receding Horizon Optimal Power Flow in Smart Grids. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Computing.
- (2017) Cyber-Physical Energy Systems Approach for Engineering Power System State Estimation in Smart Grids. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing. vol. 633.
- (2016) Differential feed control applied to corner matching in automated sewing. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA).
- (2015) Model-Based Feed-Forward and Setpoint Generation in a Multi-Robot Sewing Cell. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA).
- (2015) Work flow, material handling and initial part positioning in a multi-robot sewing cell. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (19).
- (2014) Optimal Power Flow Model with Energy Storage, an Extension towards Large Integration of Renewable Energy Sources. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 19 (1).
- (2013) Ultrasound image tracking applied to increase ESWL efficiency. Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology. vol. 47.
Part of book/report
- (2020) Towards Magnetic Field Energy Harvesting near Electrified Railway Tracks. 2020 9th Mediterranean Conference on Embedded Computing (MECO).
- (2019) Online parameter identification of synchronous machines using Kalman filter and recursive least squares. Proceeding 45th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society - IECON 2019.
- (2018) Flexibility offered to the distribution grid from households with a photovoltaic panel on their roof: Results and experiences from several pilots in a Norwegian research project. 2018 IEEE International Energy Conference - ENERGYCON 2018, Limassol, Cyprus, 3-7 June, 2018.
- (2014) Velocity coordination and corner matching in a multi-robot sewing cell. IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2014 (IROS 2014), Chicago, Ill. 14-18 Sept. 2014.
- (2013) Deploying third party services at smart grids end users using broadband links. 2013 4th IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Europe (ISGT Europe, Lyngby, 6-9 Oct. 2013.
- (2013) Real-Time Analysis of a Multi-Robot Sewing Cell. Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT 2013).
- (2012) Implementation Details of External Trajectory Generation for Industrial Robots. Proceedings of IWAMA 2012 - The Second International Workshop of Advanced Manufacturing and Automation.
- (2011) Time-Analysis of a Real-Time Sensor-Servoing System using Line-of-Sight Path Tracking. 2011 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) : September 25-30, 2011.
- (2010) Real-Time Sensor Servoing using Line-of-Sight Path Generation and Tool Orientation Control. Proceedings of the 3rd CIRP Conference on Assembly Technology and Systems - Responsive, customer demand driven, adaptive assembly.
- (2006) WireNet: An Experimental System for In-House Power Line Communication. 2006 IEEE International Symposium on Power Line Communications and Its Applications.
- (2005) A Bus Protocol for Intercomponent Communication in Advanced Upper-limb Prostheses. MEC '05 - Integrating Prosthetics and Medicine.
- (2016) Fremtidens fleksible distribusjonsnett : fleksibel nettdrift, forbrukerfleksibilitet, plusskunder og forretningsmodeller. 2016. ISBN 978-82-594-3648-1. SINTEF Energi. Rapport (TR A7536).
- (2012) Instrumentering av borestang for Teeness. 2012.