Geir Egil Dahle Øien
Background and activities
Geir Egil Dahle Øien is project manager for NTNU's central education development project "Technology studies of the future" in the period 1 August 2019 - 31 December 2021.
Øien became a professor at the Department of Electronics and Telecommunications in May 2001 and belong to the Signal Processing Research Group. He was head of the Department of Telecommunications in the period 2002-2004. He was Dean of the Faculty of Information Technology, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering between 1 August 2009 and 31 July 2019.
Geir Egil Dahle Øien (born 1965) has an MSc (sivilingeniør) degree from the Department of Telecommunications at NTH (1989) and a PhD from the same department (1993).
He is author/co-author of around 150 publications in international journals and conference proceedings with referee. He has managed and participated in several large research projects funded by the Research Council of Norway and the EU Commission. He has supervised more than 20 PhD candidates and has been an opponent at a long list of disputations, in Norway and abroad.
- Information theory
- Communication theory
- Wireless communications
- Signal processing
Committees and board positions (selected)
- Board Member, Adolf Øiens Fond, Stiftelsen for næringsutvikling 2020 - 2025
- Chairman, Portfolio board for enabling technologies, Norwegian Research Council 2019 - 2023
- Member, Board of Directors, CESAER 2014 - 2016
- Member and leader, various expert committees in NOKUT, Danmarks Akkrediteringsinstitution, and Universitetskanslerämbetet
- Chairman of the National Faculty Meeting for Natural Sciences 2015 - 2017
- Member, Scientific Council, EURECOM 2009 - 2019
- Former member of The Publication Committee of The Norwegian Association of Higher Education Institutions
For more information, see CV to the left under contact information.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Channel prediction for adaptive coded modulation in Rayleigh fading. European Signal Processing Conference. vol. 2015-March:7071885.
- (2014) Heterogeneous next-generation wireless network interference model-and its applications. Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies. vol. 25 (5).
- (2013) On Hybrid Cooperation in Underlay Cognitive Radio Networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 12 (9).
- (2012) Optimizing the performance of non-fading and fading networks using CSMA with joint transmitter and receiver sensing. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. vol. 2012 (271).
- (2012) On Hybrid Cooperation in Underlay Cognitive Radio Networks. Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers. Conference Record.
- (2012) A Relative Rate Utility based Distributed Power Allocation Algorithm for Cognitive Radio Networks. IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications workshops.
- (2012) Joint Power and Bandwidth Allocation for Discrete-Rate Multi-User Link Adaptation with Imperfect Channel State Information. IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications workshops.
- (2012) Maximizing the throughput guarantees in wireless networks under imperfect channel knowledge. IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference : Proceedings.
- (2012) Increasing sum-rate in large-scale cognitive radio networks by centralized power and spectrum allocation. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. vol. 2012 (362).
- (2011) Improving the Performance of Wireless Ad Hoc Networks Through MAC Layer Design. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 10 (1).
- (2011) Opportunistic scheduling policies for improved throughput guarantees in wireless networks. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking.
- (2010) Optimal tradeoff between transmission rate and packet duration in wireless ad hoc networks. IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference : Proceedings.
- (2010) On the usage of antennas in MIMO and MISO interference channels. Proceedings of IEEE International Workshop on Signal Processing Advances for Wireless Communications.
- (2010) Analytical Assessment of the Effect of Backoffs and Retransmissions on the Performance of ALOHA and CSMA in MANETs. IEEE International Conference on Communications.
- (2010) Energy-Efficient Route Optimization for Adaptive MPSK-Based Wireless Sensor Networks. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking.
- (2009) On Spherical vs. Plane Wave Modeling of Line-of-Sight MIMO Channels. IEEE Transactions on Communications. vol. 57 (3).
- (2009) Maximizing the Average Spectral Efficiency of Dual-Branch MIMO Systems With Discrete-Rate Adaptation. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. vol. 58 (2).
- (2009) Impact of fading on the performance of ALOHA and CSMA. Proceedings of IEEE International Workshop on Signal Processing Advances for Wireless Communications.
- (2009) Distributed Power Allocation for Interfering Wireless Links Based on Channel Information Partitioning. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 8 (6).
- (2009) On the Minimization of Communication Energy Consumption of Correlated Sensor Nodes. Wireless personal communications. vol. 50 (1).