Gerrit Ralf Surup
Background and activities
Since my graduation in 2009 I am interested in the thermo-chemical conversion of organic materials, such as biomass and coal. I have worked at Air Liquide on coal gasification and received my PhD at University of Agder on the production of renewable reducing agents for ferroalloy industries.
Since September 2019 I am investigating the electrical, chemical and mechanical properties of carbon materials used in submerged arc furnaces.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Densification of Biocarbon and Its Effect on CO2 Reactivity. Processes.
- (2020) The effect of wood composition and supercritical CO2 extraction on charcoal production in ferroalloy industries. Energy. vol. 193.
- (2020) Hydrothermal carbonization of olive wastes to produce renewable, binder-free pellets for use as metallurgical reducing agents. Renewable Energy. vol. 155.
- (2020) Effect of operating conditions and feedstock composition on the properties of manganese oxide or quartz charcoal pellets for the use in ferroalloy industries. Energy. vol. 193.
- (2020) Electrical Resistivity of Carbonaceous Bed Material at High Temperature. Processes. vol. 8.
- (2020) Charcoal as an Alternative Reductant in Ferroalloy Production: A Review. Processes. vol. 8.
- (2020) Supercritical extraction and microwave activation of wood wastes for enhanced syngas production and generation of fullerene-like soot particles. Fuel processing technology. vol. 212.
- (2019) A study of densified biochar as carbon source in the silicon and ferrosilicon production. Energy. vol. 181.
- (2019) The effect of feedstock origin and temperature on the structure and reactivity of char from pyrolysis at 1300–2800 °C. Fuel. vol. 235.
- (2019) Characterization and reactivity of charcoal from high temperature pyrolysis (800–1600 °C). Fuel. vol. 235.
- (2019) Characterization of renewable reductants and charcoal-based pellets for the use in ferroalloy industries. Energy. vol. 167.
- (2019) Renewable reducing agents for the use in ferroalloy industries : Doctoral Dissertation for the Degree Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) at the Faculty of Engineering and Science, Specialisation in Renewable Energy. Universitetet i Agder. 2019. ISBN 978-82-7117-938-0. Doctoral dissertations at University of Agder (238).