Background and activities
Halvard Buhaug is Research Professor at the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) and Professor of Political Science at NTNU. Research interests include security implications of climate change and related processes linked to loss of food securty, economic shock, forced migration, and natural disasters. See www.hbuhaug.com for details.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) On growth projections in the shared socioeconomic pathways. Global Environmental Politics. vol. 19 (4).
- (2019) Climate as a risk factor for armed conflict. Nature. vol. 571.
- (2019) Development Aid, Drought, and Coping Capacity. Journal of Development Studies.
- (2018) Bridging Research and Policy on Climate Change and Conflict. Current Climate Change Reports. vol. 4 (4).
- (2016) Climate Change and Conflict: Taking Stock. Peace Economics, Peace Science and Public Policy. vol. 22 (4).
- (2016) Ulikhet, eksklusjon og borgerkrig. Politica - Tidsskrift for politisk videnskab. vol. 48 (1).
- (2016) Forecasting civil conflict along the shared socioeconomic pathways. Environmental Research Letters. vol. 11 (5).
- (2016) Civil conflict sensitivity to growing-season drought. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 113 (44).
- (2015) Climate-conflict research: Some reflections on the way forward. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change (WIRESs). vol. 6 (3).
- (2015) Climate variability, food production shocks, and violent conflict in Sub-Saharan Africa. Environmental Research Letters. vol. 10:125015 (12).
- (2015) Population attitudes and the spread of political violence in sub-saharan Africa. International Studies Review. vol. 17 (1).
- (2015) Insurgency and Inaccessibility. International Studies Review. vol. 17 (1).
- (2014) Demand, supply, and restraint: Determinants of domestic water conflict and cooperation. Global Environmental Change. vol. 29.
- (2014) Square Pegs in Round Holes: Inequalities, Grievances, and Civil War. International Studies Quarterly. vol. 58 (2).
- (2014) 50 years of peace research: An introduction to the Journal of Peace Research anniversary special issue. Journal of Peace Research. vol. 51 (2).
- (2014) One effect to rule them all? A comment on climate and conflict. Climatic Change. vol. 127 (3-4).
- (2014) On climate variability and civil war in Asia. Climatic Change. vol. 122 (4).
- (2014) Rice or riots: On food production and conflict severity across India. Political Geography. vol. 43.
- (2013) An urbanization bomb? Population growth and social disorder in cities. Global Environmental Change. vol. 23 (1).
- (2013) Is climate change a driver of armed conflict?. Climatic Change. vol. 117 (3).