Background and activities
I am Associate Professor in Applied Linguistics at NTNU. My research interests are primarily within language acquisition and language use from a usage-based / cognitive linguistic perspective. I am interested in communicative challenges in different social and institutional contexts. Currently I am focusing on science communication from a cognitive linguistic perspective, in collaboration with the Red Hen Lab™. I received my PhD in Applied Linguistics from the University of Groningen under the supervision of Prof. Kees de Bot and Prof. Marjolin Verspoor. Before joining NTNU in 2017 I was a Postdoctoral Researcher at MultiLing, a multidisciplinary research Centre of Excellence at the University of Oslo.
I currently teach scientific communication at PhD level (HFEL8000 Communicating Science, Workspace for Publishing and Outreach, Erasmus+ Training the mindSET) and at Master level (SPRÅK3501 Scientific communication for engineers, MSKIP). I supervise PhD and Master projects within Applied Linguistics.
Academic interests: language acquisition, Cognitive Linguistics, usage-based linguistics, science communication, academic writing, English as a Medium of Instruction (EMI), TESOL/TEFL
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Personal cognitive narratives in novice scientific writing: an observational study (accepted). ICMC2020 International Conference on Multimodal Communication: Developing New Theories and Methods . Osnabrück University,; Osnabrück, Germany. 2020-05-08 - 2020-05-10.
- (2019) Emergent patterns in cross-sectional L2 data: a complexity theory perspective. 7th SALC conference . The Scandinavian Association for Language and Cognition; Aarhus. 2019-05-22 - 2019-05-24.
- (2019) Making do: constructing phraseological chunks as complex form-meaning mappings. Review of Cognitive Linguistics. vol. 17 (2).
- (2018) Capturing EMI teachers’ linguistic needs: a usage-based perspective. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. vol. 23 (9).
- (2018) Communicating Science in Journals and to the General Public.
- (2018) SPRÅK3501 has started - with Big Bang Theory.
- (2018) Bruksbaserte tilnærminger til andrespråkslæring. Norsk som andrespråk - perspektiver på læring og utvikling.
- (2017) The Development of Chunks in Dutch L2 Learners of English. Usage-based Approaches to Language Acquisition and Language Teaching.
- (2016) Bilingual Learning and Teaching. Bilingualism Seminar . Associazione Giovane Italia (AGI); Oslo. 2016-04-16 - 2016-04-16.
- (2016) Capturing interactional competence for lecturers in English-medium Higher Education. NorDisCo: 4th Nordic Interdisciplinary Conference on Discourse and Interaction . ILN/UiO, MultiLing/UiO, HiOA; HiOA, Oslo. 2016-11-23 - 2016-11-25.
- (2016) Creativity in course design: Enhancing learning at post-graduate level. 10th Conference of the Norwegian Forum for English for Academic Purposes (NFEAP) . Norwegian Forum for English for Academic Purposes (NFEAP); HiOA, Oslo. 2016-06-09 - 2016-06-10.
- (2016) Instructional Practices and Teacher Development in English-Medium Instruction Higher Education: A Usage-based Perspective. Språkvitenskapelig instituttseminar . ILN, UiO; Oslo. 2016-02-19 - 2016-02-19.
- (2016) "På fredag jeg reiser bort": helping foreigners learn Norwegian grammar. Faglig-Pedagogisk Dag, University of Oslo . University of Oslo; Oslo. 2016-11-03 - 2016-11-05.
- (2015) Capturing EMI skills: A challenge for the teacher trainer. 8th NFEAP Conference . Norwegian Association for English for Academic Purposes; Oslo. 2015-06-11 - 2015-06-12.
- (2015) Making do: Constructing complex form-meaning mappings in L2. Open guest lecture . Universitetet i Bergen, LLE; Bergen. 2015-09-30 - 2015-09-30.
- (2015) Policy design for EMI skills: Navigating the Bermuda Triangle with usage-based linguistics. Bridging Language Acquisition and Language Policy Symposium . Centre for Languages and Literature, Lund University; Lund. 2015-06-17 - 2015-06-18.
- (2015) Teaching in English with Linguistically and Culturally Diverse Students. Invited workshop as part of NTNU's Diversity Project . NTNU, Department of Biology; Trondheim. 2015-02-12 - 2015-02-12.
- (2014) Linguistic Competence for English-Medium Instruction: A Usage-based Perspective (accepted as a conference paper). GURT: Usage-based Approaches to Language, Language Learning, and Multilingualism . Georgetown University; Washington, DC. 2014-03-14 - 2014-03-16.
- (2013) Chunks in L2 Development: A usage-based perspective. 2013. ISBN 978-90367-6302-8.
- (2013) Construction filling in L2: Interactions of L2 Frequency and Entrenched L1 Constructions. Thinking, doing, learning: Usage-based perspectives on second language learning . SELC, University of Southern Denmark; Odense. 2013-04-24 - 2013-04-26.
- (2013) IntlUni: The Challenges of the Multilingual and Multicultural Learning Space in the International University. 7th Seminar of the Norwegian Association for English for Academic Purposes ; 2013-06-06 - 2013-06-07.
- (2013) Making do: Form-meaning mappings in L2 production. 12th International Cognitive Linguistics Conference (ICLC) ; Edmonton. 2013-06-23 - 2013-06-28.
- (2012) Capturing Conventionalized Ways of Saying Things (CWOSTs) in L2 Learner Language. 5th FLaRN Conference . Formulaic Language Research Network (FLaRN); Tilburg. 2012-03-28 - 2012-03-30.
- (2012) Capturing Conventionalized Ways of Saying Things (CWOSTs) in L2 Learner Language. Norwegian Academy of Sciences: NORKOG Cognitive Summer Seminar ; Norwegian Academy of Sciences, Oslo. 2012-06-10 - 2012-06-11.
- (2012) Conventionalized Ways of Saying Things (CWOSTs) in L2 Development. American Association for Applied Linguistics: 2012 AAAL Conference ; Boston. 2012-03-24 - 2012-03-27.
- (2012) Conventionalized ways of saying things (CWOSTs) and L2 Development. Dutch Journal of Applied Linguistics. vol. 1 (1).
- (2012) Foreign Language Development from a DST Perspective. L2 Writing Development: Multiple Perspectives.
- (2011) Conventionalized Ways of Saying Things (CWOSTs) in L2 Development. EUROSLA 21st Annual Conference . European Second Language Association (EUROSLA); Stockholm. 2011-09-08 - 2011-09-10.
- (2011) Development of Formulaic Sequences in Dutch L2 Learners of English. Toegepaste taalwetenschap in artikelen. vol. 84.
- (2011) But how do we support the teachers? Key considerations for the quality of Language provision for academic staff in the English-medium programmes (EMI) at a Dutch university. Fremdsprachen und Hochschule.
- (2010) Chunks as a facilitator in L2 development. BeNeCla CogLing Days 4 . Belgium Netherlands Cognitive Linguistics Association; Antwerp. 2010-12-17 - 2010-12-18.
- (2010) Chunks in L2 Development: A Usage-based Perspective. 4th FLaRN Conference . Formulaic Language Research Network (FLaRN); Paderborn. 2010-03-20 - 2010-03-26.
- (2010) Chunks in L2 Development: A Usage-based Perspective. AAAL 2010 Annual Conference . American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL); Atlanta, GA. 2010-03-06 - 2010-03-09.
- (2005) Masaryk University Internationalization Project: Learner Beliefs and Expectations. Theory and Practice in English Studies, Volume 4: Proceedings from The Eighth Conference of English, American and Canadian Studies.