Hans M. Nordahl
Background and activities
Dr. Nordahl is professor, Ph.D in behavioural medicine at Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)
I am employed at the Department of Mental Health, unit for Adult Psychiatry and Substance Abuse and is also researcher the Regional research and treatment unit for trauma and PTSD at St. Olav hospital, Trondheim.
My office is located at campus Øya, MTFS room 4423 at Dpartment of Mental Health.
Fields of speciality
- Mental health
- Clinical trials and treatment research
- Mental health and communication
- Trauma and post traumatic stress disorders (PTSD)
- Personality, personality traites, personality disorders
- Anxiety disorders
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Lifestyle predictors of successful aging: A 20-year prospective HUNT study. PLOS ONE. vol. 14 (7).
- (2019) A Randomized Controlled Trial of Metacognitive Therapy for Depression: Analysis of 1-Year Follow-Up. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 10.
- (2019) Metacognitive therapy of early traumatized patients with borderline personality disorder: A phase-II baseline-controlled trial. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 10.
- (2019) What lies beneath trait-anxiety? Testing the Self-Regulatory Executive Function Model of vulnerability. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 10:122.
- (2019) Metacognitive therapy for depression: A 3-year follow-up study assessing recovery, relapse, work force participation, and quality of life. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 10.
- (2019) Physical exercise augmented cognitive behaviour therapy for older adults with generalised anxiety disorder (PEXACOG): Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. vol. 20 : 174 (1).
- (2018) Mechanisms of change in metacognitive and cognitive behavioral therapy for treatment-resistant anxiety: The role of metacognitive beliefs and coping strategies. Journal of Experimental Psychopathology. vol. 9 (3).
- (2018) Adolescent personality traits, low self-esteem and self-harm hospitalisation: a 15-year follow-up of the Norwegian Young-HUNT1 cohort. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
- (2018) Metacognitive therapy versus cognitive–behavioural therapy in adults with generalised anxiety disorder. BJPsych Open. vol. 4 (5).
- (2018) Metacognitive therapy vs. eye movement desensitization and reprocessing for posttraumatic stress disorder: Study protocol for a randomized superiority trial. Trials. vol. 19 (16).
- (2018) Explaining depression symptoms in patients with social anxiety disorder: Do maladaptive metacognitive beliefs play a role?. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy. vol. 25 (3).
- (2017) Prevalence and correlates of successful aging in a population-based sample of older adults: The HUNT study. International Psychogeriatrics. vol. 29 (3).
- (2017) Metacognitive therapy for depression in adults: A waiting list randomized controlled trial with six months follow-up. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 8.
- (2017) Metacognitive Therapy in Major Depression: An Open Trial of Comorbid Cases. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice. vol. 24 (3).
- (2017) Metacognition and cognition in inpatient mct and cbt for comorbid anxiety disorders: A study of within-person effects. Journal of Counseling Psychology. vol. 65 (1).
- (2017) Metacognitive therapy versus disorder-Specific CBT for comorbid anxiety disorders: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Anxiety Disorders. vol. 50.
- (2017) Cognitive and metacognitive predictors of symptom improvement following treatment for social anxiety disorder: A secondary analysis from a randomized controlled trial. Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy. vol. 24 (6).
- (2017) Rational emotive behaviour therapy in high schools to educate in mental health and empower youth health. A randomized controlled study of a brief intervention. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. vol. 46 (3).
- (2016) Metacognitions in obsessive-compulsive disorder: A psychometric study of the Metacognitions Questionnaire-30. Journal of Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders. vol. 11.
- (2016) Personality traits, gender differences and symptoms of anhedonia: What does the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS) measure in nonclinical settings?. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. vol. 57 (2).
- (2016) Metacognition and Perspective Taking Predict Negative Self-Evaluation of Social Performance in Patients with SAD. Journal of Experimental Psychopathology. vol. 7 (4).
- (2016) Paroxetine, cognitive therapy or their combination in the treatment of social anxiety disorder with and without avoidant personality disorder: A randomized clinical trial. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics. vol. 85 (6).
- (2016) Physical activity in adolescents who later developed schizophrenia: A prospective case-control study from the Young-HUNT. Nordic Journal of Psychiatry. vol. 70 (2).
- (2016) Metacognitive Therapy applications in Social Anxiety Disorder: An exploratory study of the individual and combined effects of the Attention Training Technique and Situational Attentional Refocusing. Journal of Experimental Psychopathology. vol. 7 (4).
- (2015) Somatisk helse hos pasienter ved en ruspoliklinikk. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening. vol. 135 (2).
- (2015) Hva bestemmer utfall av behandling for pasienter med emosjonelt ustabil personlighetsforstyrrelse? En oversikt over kjønnsspesifikke prognostiske faktorer. Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening. vol. 52 (7).
- (2015) Matching patients with substance use disorder to optimal level of care with the ASAM Criteria software. Journal of Substance Use. vol. 20 (6).
- (2014) The predictive validity of the URICA in a sample of patients in substance use treatment. Addictive Disorders & Their Treatment. vol. 13 (4).
- (2014) ADHD Symptoms Are Differentially Related to Specific Aspects of Quality of Life. Journal of Attention Disorders. vol. 18 (7).
- (2014) Does dissociation moderate treatment outcomes of narrative exposure therapy for PTSD? A secondary analysis from a randomized controlled clinical trial. Behaviour Research and Therapy. vol. 57 (1).
- (2014) Personality Inventory for Children: A measure of biopsychosocial status in children and adolescents. European Journal of Psychiatry. vol. 28 (1).
- (2014) Anhedonic depression, history of depression, and anxiety as genderspecific risk factors of myocardial infarction in healthy men and women: The HUNT study. Health Psychology Open.
- (2014) Convergent Validity of the ASAM Criteria in Co-Occurring Disorders. Journal of dual diagnosis. vol. 10 (2).
- (2013) Functional Impairment Mediates the Relationship Between Adult ADHD Inattentiveness and Occupational Outcome. Journal of Attention Disorders.
- (2013) Metacognitive Therapy for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Nature, Evidence and an Individual Case Illustration. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice. vol. 20 (3).
- (2013) A Randomized Controlled Trial of Individual Cognitive Therapy, Group Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Attentional Placebo for Adolescent Social Phobia. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics. vol. 83 (1).
- (2013) Anxiety as a risk factor for school absenteeism: what differentiates anxious school attenders from non-attenders?. Annals of General Psychiatry. vol. 12 (25).
- (2012) Functional impairment and occupational outcome in adults with severe ADHD. Journal of Attention Disorders. vol. 16 (7).
- (2012) Adolescent school absenteeism: modelling social and individual risk factors. Child and Adolescent Mental Health. vol. 17 (2).
- (2012) The Development of New Diagnoses of Personality Disorders for DSM-V. ESSPD NEWSLETTER. vol. 1 (2).
- (2012) Psykologiske behandlingsformer for depresjon med vekt på individualiserte tilnærminger. Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening. vol. 49 (1).
- (2012) Comorbidity of borderline personality disorder with other personality disorders in psychiatric outpatients: How does it look at 2-year follow-up?. Nordic Journal of Psychiatry. vol. 66 (3).
- (2012) Predictive Factors for More Than 3 Years' Duration of Central Stimulant Treatment in Adult Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder A Retrospective, Naturalistic Study. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology. vol. 32 (5).
- (2012) Prevalence of Comorbid Substance Use Disorder During Long-term Central Stimulant Treatment in Adult ADHD. ADHD Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorders.
- (2011) Psychological factors and weight problems in adolescents. The role of eating problems, emotional problems, and personality traits: the Young-HUNT study. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. vol. 46 (5).
- (2010) A preliminary study of the naturalistic course of non-manualized psychotherapy for outpatients with borderline personality disorder: Patient characteristics, attrition and outcome. Nordic Journal of Psychiatry. vol. 64 (2).
- (2010) The Adult ADHD Quality of Life Questionnaire (AAQoL) A new disease specific measure for assessment of ADHD. Nordic Psychology. vol. 62 (1).
- (2010) Association between abnormal psychosocial situations in childhood, generalized anxiety disorder and oppositional defiant disorder. Australian and New Zealand journal of psychiatry (Print). vol. 44 (9).
- (2009) Effectiveness of Brief Metacognitive Therapy versus Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy in a General Outpatient Setting. International Journal of Cognitive Therapy. vol. 2 (2).
- (2009) Children in remission from acute lymphoblastic leukaemia: mental health, psychosocial adjustment and parental functioning. European Journal of Cancer Care. vol. 18 (4).
- (2009) Perceived group climate as a predictor of long-term outcome in a randomized controlled trial of cognitive-behavioural group therapy for patients with comorbid psychiatric disorders. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy. vol. 37 (5).
- (2008) Principles and clinical application of schema therapy for patients with borderline personality disorder. Nordic Psychology. vol. 60 (3).
- (2008) A 4-year follow-up study of syndromal and sub-syndromal anxiety and depression symptoms in the general population. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. vol. 43.
- (2012) Når plager blir sykdom. Kognitiv behandling ved sammensatte lidelser. Cappelen Damm Høyskoleforlaget. 2012. ISBN 9788276349597.
Part of book/report
- (2015) Personlighetsforstyrrelser. Håndbok i kognitiv terapi 2. utgave.
- (2013) Working with goals in therapy. New Developments in Goal Setting and Task Performance.
- (2012) Metacognitive processes in change and therapy. Encyclopedia of the Sciences of Learning.
- (2012) Maladaptive Schemas in patients with or without personality disorders. Encyclopedia of the Sciences of Learning.