Hans Peter Arp
Background and activities
My research interests intersect fundamental and applied aspects related to pollutants in the environment. On the fundamental level, I am interested into how different types of pollutants, such as microplastics, PFAS, PAHs, metals, behave in the environment and how they could pose a risk to man and the environment. On the applied level, I am interested in how to use this fundamental knowledge to design solutions within the context of emergning technologies and policy mechanisms, such as REACH and the circular economy, to create a pollution free society.
I am affiliated both the NTNU and the Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) The presence, emission and partitioning behavior of polychlorinated biphenyls in waste, leachate and aerosols from Norwegian waste-handling facilities. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 715.
- (2020) Persistent, mobile and toxic (PMT) and very persistent and very mobile (vPvM) substances pose an equivalent level of concern to persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic (PBT) and very persistent and very bioaccumulative (vPvB) substances under REACH. Environmental Sciences Europe. vol. 32:155.
- (2020) Microplastic accumulation by tube-dwelling, suspension feeding polychaetes from the sediment surface: A case study from the Norwegian Continental Shelf. Marine Environmental Research. vol. 161.
- (2020) Paper product production identified as the main source of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in a Norwegian lake: Source and historic emission tracking. Environmental Pollution (1987). vol. 273.
- (2020) Facilitating microplastic quantification through the introduction of a cellulose dissolution step prior to oxidation: Proof-of-concept and demonstration using diverse samples from the Inner Oslofjord, Norway. Marine Environmental Research. vol. 161:105080.
- (2020) Combining In Silico Tools with Multicriteria Analysis for Alternatives Assessment of Hazardous Chemicals: Accounting for the Transformation Products of decaBDE and Its Alternatives. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 55 (2).
- (2019) Leachate emissions of short- and long-chain perand polyfluoralkyl substances (PFASs) from various Norwegian landfills. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts. vol. 21 (11).
- (2019) Effects of Leachates from UV-Weathered Microplastic in Cell-Based Bioassays. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 53 (15).
- (2019) Combining in silico tools with multicriteria analysis for alternatives assessment of hazardous chemicals – a case study of decabromodiphenyl ether alternatives. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 53.
- (2018) Limited mobility of dioxins near San Jacinto super fund site (waste pit) in the Houston Ship Channel, Texas due to strong sediment sorption. Environmental Pollution (1987). vol. 238.
- (2018) Kinetic accumulation processes and models for 43 micropollutants in “pharmaceutical” POCIS. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 615.
- (2018) Using REACH registration data to rank the environmental emission potential of persistent and mobile organic chemicals. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 625.
- (2018) Advances in research on the use of biochar in soil for remediation: a review. Journal of Soils and Sediments. vol. 18 (7).
- (2017) Ranking REACH registered neutral, ionizable and ionic organic chemicals based on their aquatic persistency and mobility. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts. vol. 19 (7).
- (2017) The mass flow and proposed management of bisphenol A in selected Norwegian waste streams. Waste Management. vol. 60.
- (2017) The distribution dynamics and desorption behaviour of mobile pharmaceuticals and caffeine to combined sewer sediments. Water Research. vol. 108.
- (2017) Sorbent amendment as a remediation strategy to reduce PFAS mobility and leaching in a contaminated sandy soil from a Norwegian firefighting training facility. Chemosphere. vol. 171.
- (2017) Reducing Uncertainty and Confronting Ignorance about the Possible Impacts of Weathering Plastic in the Marine Environment. Environmental Science and Technology Letters (ES&T Letters). vol. 4 (3).
- (2017) Research on the relationship between urban form and urban smog in China. Environment and Planning, B: Planning and Design. vol. 44 (2).
- (2017) The presence and partitioning behavior of flame retardants in waste, leachate, and air particles from Norwegian waste-handling facilities. Journal of Environmental Sciences(China). vol. 62.