Hans Peter Arp
Background and activities
My research interests intersect fundamental and applied aspects related to pollutants in the environment. On the fundamental level, I am interested into how different types of pollutants, such as microplastics, PFAS, PAHs, metals, behave in the environment and how they could pose a risk to man and the environment. On the applied level, I am interested in how to use this fundamental knowledge to design solutions within the context of emergning technologies and policy mechanisms, such as REACH and the circular economy, to create a pollution free society.
I am affiliated both the NTNU and the Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Weathering Plastics as a Planetary Boundary Threat: Exposure, Fate, and Hazards. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 55 (11).
- (2021) Excavated vs novel in situ soil washing as a remediation strategy for sandy soils impacted with per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances from aqueous film forming foams. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 794.
- (2021) Preventing brominated flame retardants from occurring in recycled expanded polystyrene: comparing Norwegian visual sorting with advanced screening methods. Journal of Hazardous Materials Letters. vol. 283.
- (2021) Roads with underlying tar asphalt - spreading, bioavailability and toxicity of their polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Environmental Pollution (1987). vol. 289.
- (2021) Moving forward in microplastic research: A Norwegian perspective. Environment International. vol. 157.
- (2021) The global threat from plastic pollution. Science. vol. 373 (6550).
- (2021) Effects of Organic Carbon Origin on Hydrophobic Organic Contaminant Fate in the Baltic Sea. Environmental Science and Technology.
- (2021) The role of crystallinity and particle morphology on the sorption of dibutyl phthalate on polyethylene microplastics: Implications for the behavior of phthalate plastic additives. Environmental Pollution (1987). vol. 283.
- (2021) How do different nitrogen application levels and irrigation practices impact biological nitrogen fixation and its distribution in paddy system?. Plant and Soil.
- (2020) The presence, emission and partitioning behavior of polychlorinated biphenyls in waste, leachate and aerosols from Norwegian waste-handling facilities. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 715.
- (2020) Persistent, mobile and toxic (PMT) and very persistent and very mobile (vPvM) substances pose an equivalent level of concern to persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic (PBT) and very persistent and very bioaccumulative (vPvB) substances under REACH. Environmental Sciences Europe. vol. 32:155.
- (2020) Microplastic accumulation by tube-dwelling, suspension feeding polychaetes from the sediment surface: A case study from the Norwegian Continental Shelf. Marine Environmental Research. vol. 161.
- (2020) Paper product production identified as the main source of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in a Norwegian lake: Source and historic emission tracking. Environmental Pollution (1987). vol. 273.
- (2020) Facilitating microplastic quantification through the introduction of a cellulose dissolution step prior to oxidation: Proof-of-concept and demonstration using diverse samples from the Inner Oslofjord, Norway. Marine Environmental Research. vol. 161:105080.
- (2020) Combining In Silico Tools with Multicriteria Analysis for Alternatives Assessment of Hazardous Chemicals: Accounting for the Transformation Products of decaBDE and Its Alternatives. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 55 (2).
- (2019) Leachate emissions of short- and long-chain perand polyfluoralkyl substances (PFASs) from various Norwegian landfills. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts. vol. 21 (11).
- (2019) Effects of Leachates from UV-Weathered Microplastic in Cell-Based Bioassays. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 53 (15).
- (2019) Combining in silico tools with multicriteria analysis for alternatives assessment of hazardous chemicals – a case study of decabromodiphenyl ether alternatives. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 53.
- (2018) Limited mobility of dioxins near San Jacinto super fund site (waste pit) in the Houston Ship Channel, Texas due to strong sediment sorption. Environmental Pollution (1987). vol. 238.
- (2018) Kinetic accumulation processes and models for 43 micropollutants in “pharmaceutical” POCIS. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 615.