Hans Peter Arp
Background and activities
My research interests intersect fundamental and applied aspects related to pollutants in the environment. On the fundamental level, I am interested into how different types of pollutants, such as microplastics, PFAS, PAHs, metals, behave in the environment and how they could pose a risk to man and the environment. On the applied level, I am interested in how to use this fundamental knowledge to design solutions within the context of emergning technologies and policy mechanisms, such as REACH and the circular economy, to create a pollution free society.
I am affiliated both the NTNU and the Norwegian Geotechnical Institute (NGI)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Leachate emissions of short- and long-chain perand polyfluoralkyl substances (PFASs) from various Norwegian landfills. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts.
- (2019) Effects of Leachates from UV-Weathered Microplastic in Cell-Based Bioassays. Environmental Science and Technology.
- (2019) Combining in silico tools with multicriteria analysis for alternatives assessment of hazardous chemicals – a case study of decabromodiphenyl ether alternatives. Environmental Science and Technology.
- (2018) Limited mobility of dioxins near San Jacinto super fund site (waste pit) in the Houston Ship Channel, Texas due to strong sediment sorption. Environmental Pollution (1987). vol. 238.
- (2018) Kinetic accumulation processes and models for 43 micropollutants in “pharmaceutical” POCIS. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 615.
- (2018) Using REACH registration data to rank the environmental emission potential of persistent and mobile organic chemicals. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 625.
- (2018) Advances in research on the use of biochar in soil for remediation: a review. Journal of Soils and Sediments. vol. 18 (7).
- (2017) Ranking REACH registered neutral, ionizable and ionic organic chemicals based on their aquatic persistency and mobility. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts. vol. 19 (7).
- (2017) The mass flow and proposed management of bisphenol A in selected Norwegian waste streams. Waste Management. vol. 60.
- (2017) The distribution dynamics and desorption behaviour of mobile pharmaceuticals and caffeine to combined sewer sediments. Water Research. vol. 108.
- (2017) Sorbent amendment as a remediation strategy to reduce PFAS mobility and leaching in a contaminated sandy soil from a Norwegian firefighting training facility. Chemosphere. vol. 171.
- (2017) Reducing Uncertainty and Confronting Ignorance about the Possible Impacts of Weathering Plastic in the Marine Environment. Environmental Science and Technology Letters. vol. 4 (3).
- (2017) Research on the relationship between urban form and urban smog in China. Environment and Planning, B: Planning and Design. vol. 44 (2).
- (2017) The presence and partitioning behavior of flame retardants in waste, leachate, and air particles from Norwegian waste-handling facilities. Journal of Environmental Sciences(China). vol. 62.
- (2017) Enhanced biodegradation of PAHs in historically contaminated soil by M. gilvum inoculated biochar. Chemosphere. vol. 182.
- (2016) Combining Leaching and Passive Sampling to Measure the Mobility and Distribution between Porewater, DOC and Colloids of Native Oxy-PAHs, N-PACs and PAHs in Historically Contaminated Soil. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 50 (21).
- (2016) A synthesis of parameters related to the binding of neutral organic compounds to charcoal. Chemosphere. vol. 144.
- (2016) Mind the Gap: Persistent and Mobile Organic Compounds - Water Contaminants That Slip Through. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 50 (19).
- (2015) Review of polyoxymethylene passive sampling methods for quantifying freely dissolved porewater concentrations of hydrophobic organic contaminants. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. vol. 34 (4).
- (2015) The degradation behaviour of nine diverse contaminants in urban surface water and wastewater prior to water treatment. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts. vol. 17 (12).