Background and activities
Heidi Gilstad is Associate Professor at the Centre for Academic and Professional Communication (SEKOM), at the Department of Language and Literature, NTNU.
She was previously employed as adviser (2012-2014), project manager, postdoc (2014-2016) and researcher (2016-2018) at the Health Informatics Research Group (Norwegian Center for Electronic Patient Records, NSEP) at the Department of Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine, NTNU.
She earned her phd in Applied Linguistics (Health Communication) from the Department of Language and Communication Studies at NTNU in 2012 with the thesis: Obstetric ultrasound expertise as manifest in encounters between midwives and pregnant women. A case study from KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
She has previously worked at the National Center for Fetal Medicine, St.Olavs Hospital in Trondheim, the Department of Language and Communication Studies at the Faculty of Humanities, NTNU, and at the IT-company Mind Norway AS (now Ergo Group) as well as the Publishing House Gyldendal in Oslo.
Her main research interests are: health communication involving medical technologies, ethics-in-interaction, professional expertise and knowledge development, discourses concerning women's and children's health, multicultural communication, global health promotion and qualitative methodologies.
Project manager for the following projects:
Smart digital helsekommunikasjon (2017-2020)
Helsekommunikasjon i en digital hverdag (2014-2018)
Smart visuell helsekommunikasjon og digitale pasienthistorier
Heidi is a member of the following research communities:
eHealth Literacy Network
European Workshop on Practical Aspects of Health Informatics, PAHI 2017
In media (in Norwegian):
Den akademiske komedie Universitetsavisa
En folke-e-helse for framtida blog.medisin.ntnu.no
Helsekommunikasjon i en teknologisk hverdag blog.medisin.ntnu.no
Norge mangler e-helsekartlegging, Dagens medisin
Litteraturhus i Trondheim. Adresseavisen
Gravide kan ta egne valg! Dagbladet
Med uleselig hilsen fra NTNU. Universitetsavisa. Reportasje fra Institutt for anvendt språkvitenskap med E. Andenæs, N. Eik-Nes, G. Thomassen og H. Gilstad.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Monitoring and Benchmarking eHealth in the Nordic Countries. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. vol. 247.
- (2017) Breast Cancer Patients’ Experiences with Information and Communication in Cancer Disease Trajectories. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 2001.
- (2017) Online patient information about breast cancer - A discourse analysis. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 2001.
- (2017) eHealth Literacy Research – Quo vadis?. Informatics for Health and Social Care.
- (2017) Citizens' Access to Their Digital Health Data in Eleven Countries – A Comparative Study. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. vol. 228.
- (2016) Online Information about Cancer Patient Pathways in Norway. eTELEMED ... the ... International Conference on eHealth, Telemedicine, and Social Medicine.
- (2016) Comparability, Availability and Use of Medication eHealth Services in the Nordic Countries. International Journal On Advances in Life Sciences. vol. 8 (1-2).
- (2016) Usability evaluation of clinical guidelines on the web using eye-tracker. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. vol. 228.
- (2016) Collecting evidence about ehealth implementation in the Nordic Countries. Linköping Electronic Conference Proceedings.
- (2015) Monitoring the amount of practical use of ehealth on national level by use of log data: Lessons learned. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. vol. 218.
- (2014) Toward a comprehensive model of eHealth literacy. CEUR Workshop Proceedings.
- (2014) Multinational surveys for monitoring eHealth policy implementations –usefulness and pitfalls. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. vol. 205.
- (2013) Health Communication Expertise in Encounters Involving Medical Technologies. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 984 (7).
- (2013) Nordic eHealth Indicators: Organisation of Research, First Results and Plan for the Future. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. vol. 192.
- (2007) Jeff Bezemer, Sjaak Kroon, Lutine de Wal Pastoor, Else Ryen, and Astri Heen Wold. Language Teaching and Learning in a Multicultural Context. Case Studies from Primary Education in the Netherlands and Norway. Language Problems and Language Planning. vol. 31 (2).
- (2016) Ode til bypark. Adressa, Trondheim. 2016.
Part of book/report
- (2017) Trust and Provenance in Communication to E-Health Consumers. Digitization of Healthcare- New Challenges and Opportunities.
- (2014) Nurse midwives’ communicative expertise in obstetric ultrasound encounters. The Routledge Handbook of Language and Health Communication.
- (2017) Nordic eHealth benchmarking. From piloting towards established practice. 2017. TemaNord (1000).
- (2016) Proceedings of the 3rd European Workshop on Practical Aspects of Health Informatics (PAHI 2015). 2016. CEUR Workshop Proceedings (1).