Hein Bjartmann Bjerck
Background and activities
2020 - 2022 Professor II, AHKR, University of Bergen
Selected work experience
- 01.01.1985 – 01.02.1988. Vitenskapsmuseet, Univ. of Trondheim: Scholarship. The Vega project. Mesolithic settlement patterns, research strategies and cultural heritage management (cf. Bjerck 1989, 1990).
- 25.10 – 31.01.1990. Norges allmennvitenskapelige forskningsråd: Research leader. Administration of the program «Forskning om kulturminnevern» (FOK) (Research on Cultural resource management).
- 01.02.1990 – 21.7.1996. Nordland fylkeskommune: Arkeolog/Førstekonsulent. (Cultural heritage officer. General cultural resource management in Nordland County.
- 21.7.1996 – 25.11.1999. Sysselmannen på Svalbard: Cultural heritage officer at The Governor of Svalbard.
- 14.12.1999 – today. Vitenskapsmuseet, NTNU: Associate professor. 2010. Early settlements (Stone Age), research, teaching, projects, cultural resource management, public archaeology.
- 2003–2008."NTNU Vitenskapsmuseets arkeologiske undersøkelser Ormen Lange" Project leader. Large-scale rescue excavations, at the site of the present processing plant for the Ormen Lange gas field at Aukra, Møre and Romsdal, cf. Bjerck et al. 2008.
- 1.03.2003 – 01.09.2005. Seksjon for arkeologi og kulturhistorie, Vitenskapsmuseet. Head of Department.
- 2001 – 2010. Norwegian Archaeological Review (NAR, http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/sarc20). Editor-in-Chief. NAR is an international scientific journal in archaeological theory and method. Ranked Nivå 2 journal in Norway (UHR), and ‘A' in the Archaeology Category in European Reference Index for Humanities (ERIH), European Science Foundation, 2007. Indexed and abstracted inThomson Reuters/Arts and Humanities Citation Index®.
- October 2010 – today. Vitenskapsmuseet, NTNU: Professor from 2010. Early settlements (Stone Age), research, teaching, projects, cultural resource management, public archaeology.
- 2011 – present. Project leader "Marine Ventures", Research Counsil of Norway, Project 208828.
- 2014 - present, Head of NTNU Archaeology Studies Program.
- 2016 - 2017 Research fellow, After Discourse: Things, Archaeology, and Heritage in the 21st Century, Centre for Advanced Studies (CAS), at the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, Oslo.
- 2016 - 2019, Project member, Object Matters: Archaeology and Heritage in the 21th Century.
Pleistocene/Holocene transition, Maritime adaptation and seascapes, Material culture studies, Dynamics and structural relations in cultural development of hunter-gatherer societies, Comparative studies, Archaeological theory and research history, Cultural heritage management, Public archaeology, Archaeology of the contemporary past.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) What could the ‘sea ice machine’ do to its people? On the lateglacial Doggerland, marine foraging, and the colonisation of Scandinavian seascapes. Environmental Archaeology.
- (2019) Spatial patterning and occupation dynamics during the Early Holocene in an archaeological site from the south coast of Tierra del Fuego: Binushmuka I. Estudios Atacameños. vol. 60.
- (2017) Spatial patterning and occupation dynamics during the Early Holocene in an archaeological site from the south coast of Tierra del Fuego: Binushmuka I. Estudios Atacameños.
- (2016) Lost and found twice: Discussion of an early post-glacial single-edged tanged point from Brodgar on Orkney, Scotland. Journal of Lithic Studies. vol. 3 (1).
- (2016) Brannstasjon i bakspeilet. Samtidsarkeologiske betraktninger under avviklingen av Sentrum Brannstasjon i Trondheim våren 2015. Primitive tider. vol. 18.
- (2016) Settlements and Seafaring: Reflections on the Integration of Boats and Settlements Among Marine Foragers in Early Mesolithic Norway and the Yámana of Tierra del Fuego. Journal of Island & Coastal Archaeology. vol. 12 (2).
- (2013) Looking with both eyes. Comments to Håkon Glørstad "Where are the Missing Boats? The Pioneer Settlement of Norway as Long-Term History". Norwegian Archaeological Review. vol. 46 (1).
- (2013) Marine Ventures: Comparative Perspectives on the Dynamics of Early Human Approaches to the Seascapes of Tierra del Fuego and Norway. Journal of Island & Coastal Archaeology. vol. 8 (1).
- (2010) "Brummeren fra Tuv" - tilbakeblikk på samlivet med et lydinstrument fra steinalderen. Primitive tider. vol. 12.
- (2009) Colonizing Seascapes: Comparative Perspectives on the Development of Maritime Relations in Scandinavia and Patagonia. Arctic Anthropology. vol. 46 (1-2).
- (2008) Colonizing the so-called margins. The development of marine relations and the colonization of coastal north-west Europe. The Irish Naturalist's Journal.
- (2008) Om tidsskrifter, faghistorie og passive (?) fiskeredskap. Primitive tider. vol. 2007/08.
- (2008) Surroundings, Beginnings and Formation of a Journal – a Dialogue with NAR’s Alpha Editor Bjørn Myhre. Norwegian Archaeological Review. vol. 41 (1).
- (2003) Editorial: Norwegian Archaeological Review - Past and Present. Norwegian Archaeological Review. vol. 36/1.
- (2000) Stone Age settlement on Svalbard? A re-evaluation of previous finds and results of a recent field survey. Polar Record. vol. 36(197).
- (1995) Malte menneskebilder i «Helvete». Betraktninger om en nyoppdaget hulemaling på Trenyken. Røst. Nordland. Årbok / Universitetets oldsaksamling. vol. 1993/1994.
- (1994) Nordsjøfastlandet og pionerbosetningen i Norge. Viking.
- (1990) Mesolithic site types and settlement patterns at Vega, Northern Norway. Acta Archaeologica. vol. 60-1989.
- (1989) Review of Kjel Knutsson: Patterns of tool use. Scanning electron microscopy of experimental quartz tools. Aun 10. Uppsala 1988. Kjel Knutsson: Making and using stone tools. The analysis of lithic assemblages from Middle Neolithic sites with flint in Vasterbotten, northern Sweden. Aun 11. Uppsala 1988. Norwegian Archaeological Review. vol. Vol 22/1.
- (1986) The Fosna - Nøstvet problem. A consideration of Archaeological Units and Chronozones in the south Norwegian Mesolithic Period. Norwegian Archaeological Review. vol. 19 (2).