Ida Marie Lyså
Background and activities
Ida Marie Lyså is associate professor in interdisciplinary childhood and youth studies at the Department of Education and Lifelong Learning. She has a MA degree in social anthropology (UiB) and a PhD in interdisciplinary child research (NTNU). Idas PhD dissertation (2018) is about children’s everyday experiences with disciplinarian practices in kindergartens in Shanghai, China. Her postdoctoral project is about the experiences and aspirations of ghanaian youth about their contemporary and future lives in Accra, Ghana.
Ida teaches in several courses on BA, MA and PhD-level in interdisciplinary child research, and supervises master students in Mphil in Childhood studies.
Ida is an editor in the nordic journal BARN.
- Anthropology and child research
- Culture, cultural encounters and migration
- Disciplinarian practices and children's everyday lives
- Qualitative methods, methodology and ethics in child research
- Children and youth in Africa
Research group membership:
- BARN8200 - Methodology in Child and Childhood Research
- BARN3900 - Master Thesis
- BARN8101 - Social Studies of Children and Childhood: Research Perspectives
- PED2001 - Perspectives on Society, Education and Reproduction
- BARN3102 - Children's Rights
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Relational rights and interdependent wellbeing: Exploring the experiences of an ethnic minority girl with the Norwegian Child Welfare service. Global Studies of Childhood.
Part of book/report
- (2021) Managing Risk and Balancing Minds. Transforming the Next Generation through ‘Frustration Education’. Childhood Cultures in Transformation 30 Years of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child in Action towards Sustainability.
- (2020) Embodying discipline: Remembering bodies and cultural values in Chinese kindergartens. Exploring Materiality in Childhood — Body, Relations and Space.
- (2019) Migration and Mobility in Childhood (Norway). Bloomsbury Education and Childhood Studies..
- (2019) Agency and Rights in Childhood (Norway). Bloomsbury Education and Childhood Studies..
- (2012) Danningsbegrepet som analytisk begrep i lys av nyere barndomssosiologi. Barnehagen som danningsarena.
- (2018) Duties and Privileges: An Ethnographic Study of Discipline as Relational Practice in two Urban Chinese Kindergartens. 2018. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (152).
- (2018) Komparativ forskning på (barne)institusjoner - forskningsfokus og forsåelser av barn og barndom. 2018. Barn (2).
- (2018) Sammendrag av doktorgradsavhandlinger. Duties and Privileges: an Ethnographic study of Discipline as Relational Practice in two urban Chinese Kindergartens. 2018. Barn (2).
- (2009) The Brutal Freedom of Street Life Challenges in Assisting Street Children out of Street Life. 2009.