Background and activities
Ilangko Balasingham is Professor of Medical Signal Processing and Communications at the Department of Electronic Systems. He belongs to the Signal Processing Group. Balasingham has a MSc and a PhD in signal processing, both from NTNU.
- Super robust short range communications for both in-body and on-body sensors
- Body area sensor network
- Microwave short range sensing in vital signs
- Short range localization and tracking mobile sensors
- Nanoscale (molecular) communication networks
Recent Work Experience
- 2015- Section Manager of Signal Processing and Communications Research, Intervention Center, Oslo University Hospital
- 2006- Professor, Dept. of Electronics and Telecommunications, NTNU
- 2006- Head of Sensor Network Research Group/Professor, Intervention Center, Oslo University Hospital
- 2016-2017, Professor by courtesy, Frontier Institute, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Japan
- 2009, Visiting Professor, University of Maryland, College Park, USA
- 2002-2005 Senior Scientist, Intervention Center, Oslo University Hospital
Selected Research Projects and Management
- Project Manager/PI of Wireless In-Body Sensor and Actuator Networks (WINNOW), (Funded by the Research Council of Norway, IKTPluss, 01.04.2017-30.04.2022, award NOK 16 million)
- Coordinator/PI of Wireless In-Body Environment (WiBEC), (Funded by the European Commission, H2020-MARIE Skodowska-CURIE ACTIONS (MSCA-ITN-2015), 01.01.2016-31.12.2019, budget €3.957 million, http://www.wibec.eu)
- PI of Holistic Monitoring of Indoor Environment (HOME), (Funded by the Research Council of Norway, Idealabprogram, 01.06.2014 - 31.05.2017, award NOK 10 million)
- Project Manager/PI of MELODY II, (Funded by the Research Council of Norway, VERDIKT program, 01.01.2013- 31.12.2017, award NOK 14.7 million, http://www.melody-project.info)
- PI of NORBAS, (Funded by the Ministry of Foreign A_airs under the HERD/ICT for Balkan, 01.01.2012 -31.12.2015, award NOK 6.25 million)
- PI of the Adaptive Security for Smart Internet of Things in eHealth, (Funded by the Research Council of Norway,VERDIKT program, 02.01.2012-31.12.2015, award NOK 13.7 million)
- Project Manager/PI of MELODY, (Funded by the Research Council of Norway, VERDIKT program, 01.09.2008- 31.12.2012, award NOK 33 million, http://www.melody-project.info)
- Work Package Leader/PI of ULTRASPONDER, (Funded by the European Commission, 7th Framework Program,STREP, 01.09.2008 - 31.06.2012, award €4.4 million; http://www.ultrasponder.org)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Computer-aided diagnosis system for ulcer detection in wireless capsule endoscopy images. IET Image Processing. vol. 13 (6).
- (2019) Machine Learning for Smart Building Applications: Review and Taxonomy. ACM Computing Surveys. vol. 52 (2).
- (2019) On the performance of hierarchical temporal memory predictions of medical streams in real time. International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology. vol. 2019-May:8743902.
- (2019) Communication Aspects for a Measurement Based UWB in-Body to on-Body Channel. IEEE Access. vol. 7.
- (2019) On Improving Recovery Performance in Multiple Measurement Vector Having Dependency. IEEE Access. vol. 7.
- (2019) Radio frequency backscatter communication for high data rate deep implants. IEEE transactions on microwave theory and techniques. vol. 67 (3).
- (2019) Battery-free Wireless Communication for Video Capsule Endoscopy. International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology. vol. 2019-May.
- (2019) Polyp detection and segmentation using Mask R-CNN: Does a deeper feature extractor CNN always perform better?. International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology. vol. 2019-May.
- (2019) Contactless blood perfusion assessment of the free flap in breast reconstruction surgery. International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology. vol. 2019-May:8743657.
- (2019) Neural response analysis for brain-machine interfaces. International Symposium on Medical Information and Communication Technology. vol. 2019-May:8743726.
- (2019) Synaptic Communication Engineering for Future Cognitive Brain-machine Interfaces. Proceedings of the IEEE. vol. 107 (7).
- (2018) RF Channel Modeling for Implant to Implant Communication and Implant to Sub-Cutaneous Implant Communication for Future Leadless Cardiac Pacemakers. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. vol. 65 (12).
- (2018) In-body and Off-body Channel Modeling for Future Leadless Cardiac Pacemakers based on Phantom and Animal Experiments. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters. vol. 17 (12).
- (2018) On Bit Error Probability and Power Optimization in Multihop Millimeter Wave Relay Systems. IEEE Access.
- (2018) Throughput and delay analysis of HARQ with code combining over double Rayleigh fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. vol. 67 (5).
- (2018) Blind Source Separation Using Temporal Correlation, Non-Gaussianity and Conditional Heteroscedasticity. IEEE Access. vol. 6.
- (2018) Recovery of Independent Sparse Sources From Linear Mixtures Using Sparse Bayesian Learning. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. vol. 66 (24).
- (2018) Coherent query scheme for wireless backscatter communication systems with single tag. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. vol. 2018 (184).
- (2018) High gain and wideband stacked patch antenna for S-band applications. Progress in Electromagnetics Research Letters (PIER). vol. 76.
- (2018) Automatic polyp frame screening using patch based combined feature and dictionary learning. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics. vol. 69.