Background and activities
Ilangko Balasingham is Professor of Medical Signal Processing and Communications at the Department of Electronic Systems. He belongs to the Signal Processing Group. Balasingham has a MSc and a PhD in signal processing, both from NTNU.
- Super robust short range communications for both in-body and on-body sensors
- Body area sensor network
- Microwave short range sensing in vital signs
- Short range localization and tracking mobile sensors
- Nanoscale (molecular) communication networks
Recent Work Experience
- 2015- Section Manager of Signal Processing and Communications Research, Intervention Center, Oslo University Hospital
- 2006- Professor, Dept. of Electronics and Telecommunications, NTNU
- 2006- Head of Sensor Network Research Group/Professor, Intervention Center, Oslo University Hospital
- 2016-2017, Professor by courtesy, Frontier Institute, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Japan
- 2009, Visiting Professor, University of Maryland, College Park, USA
- 2002-2005 Senior Scientist, Intervention Center, Oslo University Hospital
Selected Research Projects and Management
- Project Manager/PI of Wireless In-Body Sensor and Actuator Networks (WINNOW), (Funded by the Research Council of Norway, IKTPluss, 01.04.2017-30.04.2022, award NOK 16 million)
- Coordinator/PI of Wireless In-Body Environment (WiBEC), (Funded by the European Commission, H2020-MARIE Skodowska-CURIE ACTIONS (MSCA-ITN-2015), 01.01.2016-31.12.2019, budget €3.957 million, http://www.wibec.eu)
- PI of Holistic Monitoring of Indoor Environment (HOME), (Funded by the Research Council of Norway, Idealabprogram, 01.06.2014 - 31.05.2017, award NOK 10 million)
- Project Manager/PI of MELODY II, (Funded by the Research Council of Norway, VERDIKT program, 01.01.2013- 31.12.2017, award NOK 14.7 million, http://www.melody-project.info)
- PI of NORBAS, (Funded by the Ministry of Foreign A_airs under the HERD/ICT for Balkan, 01.01.2012 -31.12.2015, award NOK 6.25 million)
- PI of the Adaptive Security for Smart Internet of Things in eHealth, (Funded by the Research Council of Norway,VERDIKT program, 02.01.2012-31.12.2015, award NOK 13.7 million)
- Project Manager/PI of MELODY, (Funded by the Research Council of Norway, VERDIKT program, 01.09.2008- 31.12.2012, award NOK 33 million, http://www.melody-project.info)
- Work Package Leader/PI of ULTRASPONDER, (Funded by the European Commission, 7th Framework Program,STREP, 01.09.2008 - 31.06.2012, award €4.4 million; http://www.ultrasponder.org)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Throughput and delay analysis of HARQ with code combining over double Rayleigh fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. vol. 67 (5).
- (2018) Blind Source Separation Using Temporal Correlation, Non-Gaussianity and Conditional Heteroscedasticity. IEEE Access. vol. 6.
- (2018) Coherent query scheme for wireless backscatter communication systems with single tag. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. vol. 2018 (184).
- (2018) High gain and wideband stacked patch antenna for S-band applications. Progress in Electromagnetics Research Letters (PIER). vol. 76.
- (2018) Automatic polyp frame screening using patch based combined feature and dictionary learning. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics. vol. 69.
- (2018) Automatic colon polyp detection using region based deep CNN and post learning approaches. IEEE Access. vol. 6.
- (2018) Development and in vivo performance evaluation of 10-60-MHz band impulse-radio-based transceiver for deep implantation having 10 Mbps. IEEE transactions on microwave theory and techniques. vol. 66 (9).
- (2017) Optimal Placement of Relay Nodes over Limited Positions in Wireless Sensor Networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 16 (4).
- (2017) Comparative validation of polyp detection methods in video colonoscopy: Results from the MICCAI 2015 endoscopic vision challenge. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. vol. 36 (6).
- (2017) Performance Evaluation of an Ultra-Wideband Transmit Diversity in a Living Animal Experiment. IEEE transactions on microwave theory and techniques. vol. 65 (7).
- (2017) Comparison of hand-craft feature based SVM and CNN based deep learning framework for automatic polyp classification. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Conference Proceedings.
- (2016) An efficient D2D-based strategies for machine type communications in 5G mobile systems. IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference : Proceedings. vol. 2016-September.
- (2016) Propagation modeling and analysis of molecular motors in molecular communication. IEEE Transactions on Nanobioscience. vol. 15 (8).
- (2016) One-Step Approach for Two-Tiered Constrained Relay Node Placement in Wireless Sensor Networks. IEEE Wireless Communications Letters. vol. 5 (4).
- (2016) Blood pressure estimation using video plethysmography. IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging. vol. 2016-June.
- (2016) Edge density based automatic detection of inflammation in colonoscopy videos. Computers in Biology and Medicine. vol. 72.
- (2016) Fast L1-based sparse representation of EEG for motor imagery signal classification. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. Conference Proceedings. vol. 2016-October.
- (2016) Peer-to-Peer Communication in Neuronal Nano-Network. IEEE Transactions on Communications. vol. 64 (3).
- (2016) On the Upper Bound of the Information Capacity in Neuronal Synapses. IEEE Transactions on Communications. vol. 64 (12).
- (2016) Microwave reconstruction method using a circular antenna array cooperating with an internal transmitter. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering. vol. 9829.