Background and activities
Ilangko Balasingham is Professor of Medical Signal Processing and Communications at the Department of Electronic Systems. He belongs to the Signal Processing Group. Balasingham has a MSc and a PhD in signal processing, both from NTNU.
- Super robust short range communications for both in-body and on-body sensors
- Body area sensor network
- Microwave short range sensing in vital signs
- Short range localization and tracking mobile sensors
- Nanoscale (molecular) communication networks
Recent Work Experience
- 2015- Section Manager of Signal Processing and Communications Research, Intervention Center, Oslo University Hospital
- 2006- Professor, Dept. of Electronics and Telecommunications, NTNU
- 2006- Head of Sensor Network Research Group/Professor, Intervention Center, Oslo University Hospital
- 2016-2017, Professor by courtesy, Frontier Institute, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Japan
- 2009, Visiting Professor, University of Maryland, College Park, USA
- 2002-2005 Senior Scientist, Intervention Center, Oslo University Hospital
Selected Research Projects and Management
- Project Manager/PI of Wireless In-Body Sensor and Actuator Networks (WINNOW), (Funded by the Research Council of Norway, IKTPluss, 01.04.2017-30.04.2022, award NOK 16 million)
- Coordinator/PI of Wireless In-Body Environment (WiBEC), (Funded by the European Commission, H2020-MARIE Skodowska-CURIE ACTIONS (MSCA-ITN-2015), 01.01.2016-31.12.2019, budget €3.957 million, http://www.wibec.eu)
- PI of Holistic Monitoring of Indoor Environment (HOME), (Funded by the Research Council of Norway, Idealabprogram, 01.06.2014 - 31.05.2017, award NOK 10 million)
- Project Manager/PI of MELODY II, (Funded by the Research Council of Norway, VERDIKT program, 01.01.2013- 31.12.2017, award NOK 14.7 million, http://www.melody-project.info)
- PI of NORBAS, (Funded by the Ministry of Foreign A_airs under the HERD/ICT for Balkan, 01.01.2012 -31.12.2015, award NOK 6.25 million)
- PI of the Adaptive Security for Smart Internet of Things in eHealth, (Funded by the Research Council of Norway,VERDIKT program, 02.01.2012-31.12.2015, award NOK 13.7 million)
- Project Manager/PI of MELODY, (Funded by the Research Council of Norway, VERDIKT program, 01.09.2008- 31.12.2012, award NOK 33 million, http://www.melody-project.info)
- Work Package Leader/PI of ULTRASPONDER, (Funded by the European Commission, 7th Framework Program,STREP, 01.09.2008 - 31.06.2012, award €4.4 million; http://www.ultrasponder.org)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Extracellular Vesicle-Mediated Communication Nanonetworks: Opportunities and Challenges. IEEE Communications Magazine. vol. 59 (5).
- (2021) Molecular Communications in Viral Infections Research: Modeling, Experimental Data, and Future Directions. IEEE Transactions on Molecular, Biological, and Multi-Scale Communications. vol. 7 (3).
- (2021) An Information Theoretical Analysis of Gap Junction Channels. IEEE Access. vol. 9.
- (2021) Engineering Photonic Transmission Inside Brain Nerve Fibers. IEEE Access. vol. 9.
- (2021) Design and simulation of terahertz perfect absorber with tunable absorption characteristic using fractal-shaped graphene layers. Photonics. vol. 8 (9).
- (2021) Galvanic Impulse Wireless Communication for Biomedical Implants. IEEE Access. vol. 9.
- (2021) Targeted drug delivery for cardiovascular disease: Modeling of modulated extracellular vesicle release rates. IEEE Transactions on Nanobioscience. vol. 20 (4).
- (2021) Visualizing Extracellular Vesicles and Their Function in 3D Tumor Microenvironment Models. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. vol. 22 (9).
- (2020) Multisite pacing and myocardial scars: a computational study. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering. vol. 23 (6).
- (2020) Optimal pacing sites in cardiac resynchronization by left ventricular activation front analysis. Computers in Biology and Medicine. vol. 128.
- (2020) On Mathematical Analysis of Active Drug Transport Coupled With Flow-Induced Diffusion in Blood Vessels. IEEE Transactions on Nanobioscience. vol. 20 (1).
- (2020) Evaluation of Secrecy Capacity for Next-Generation Leadless Cardiac Pacemakers. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering.
- (2020) A New Real Time Clinical Decision Support System Using Machine Learning for Critical Care Units. IEEE Access. vol. 8.
- (2020) Conductive Impulse for Wireless Communication in Dual-Chamber Leadless Pacemakers. IEEE transactions on microwave theory and techniques. vol. 69 (1).
- (2020) Molecular Communication Aspects of Potassium Intracellular Signaling in Cardiomyocytes. IEEE Access.
- (2020) Theoretical aspects of resting-state cardiomyocyte communication for multi-nodal nano-actuator pacemakers. Sensors. vol. 20 (10).
- (2020) Patient specific strategies to enhance leadless pacemaker lifetime in synchronized dual chamber system. IEEE Access. vol. 8.
- (2020) Toward real-time polyp detection using fully CNNs for 2D Gaussian shapes prediction. Medical Image Analysis. vol. 68.
- (2020) An Information Theory of Neuro-Transmission in Multiple-Access Synaptic Channels. IEEE Transactions on Communications. vol. 68 (2).
- (2020) Modeling of Modulated Exosome Release from Differentiated Induced Neural Stem Cells for Targeted Drug Delivery. IEEE Transactions on Nanobioscience. vol. 19 (3).