Professor. Vice Dean of researchDepartment of Mathematical Sciences Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering
Background and activities
Ingelin Steinsland (1974) is professor at the Department of Mathematical Sciences. She is a member of the the Statistics group. Professor Steinsland has a MSc in Industrial Mathematics and a PhD in Statistics from NTNU. She is the Vice Dean of research at the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering.
Aim of research: Ingelin Steinsland aims to introduce new statistical methods and knowledge to applied scientists, and develop statistical methods and knowledge based on problems from applied scientists. She has a special focus on models and methods for large datasets. Steinsland has two key applications; forecasting for physical systems, especially hydrology and quantitative genetics.
- 2017- Vice Dean of research, Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, NTNU
- 2014- Professor of Statistics, Dept. of Mathematical Sciences, NTNU
- 2008-2014 Associate Professor, Dept. of Mathematical Sciences, NTNU
- 2008- Advisor, SINTEF Energy Research (part time)
- 2006-2007: Researcher SINTEF Energy Research
- 2004-2006 Post Doctor, Dept.of Mathematical Sciences, NTNU. Project: Markov chain Monte Carlo methods in quantitative genetics
- 2003-2004 Associate Professor (temporary), Dept. of Mathematical Sciences, NTNU
- 1998-1999 Software developer in a start-up (VoxelVision AS)
- 2009-2010 Visiting scholar at Department of Statistics, Stanford University, USA
- 2009-2010 Visiting professor at SAMSI/Duke University, North Carolina, USA
- 2001-2002 Visiting post graduate at Department of Statistics, Trinity College, Ireland
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Bayesian Model Averaging for Wind Speed Ensemble Forecasts Using Wind Speed and Direction. Weather and forecasting. vol. 32 (6).
- (2016) Effects of uncertainties in hydrological modelling. A case study of a mountainous catchment in Southern Norway. Journal of Hydrology. vol. 536.
- (2016) Is my study system good enough? A case study for identifying maternal effects. Ecology and Evolution. vol. 6 (11).
- (2016) Spatial modeling with system of stochastic partial differential equations. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Computational Statistics. vol. 8 (2).
- (2015) Weather SDM: estimating snow density with high precision using snow depth and local climate. Hydrology Research. vol. 46 (4).
- (2015) Estimation of a non-stationary model for annual precipitation in southern Norway using replicates of the spatial field. Spatial Statistics. vol. 14 C.
- (2014) Probabilistic postprocessing models for flow forecasts for a system of catchments and several lead times. Water Resources Research. vol. 50 (1).
- (2014) On estimation and identifiability issues of sex-linked inheritance with a case study of pigmentation in Swiss barn owl (Tyto alba). Ecology and Evolution. vol. 4 (9).
- (2014) Quantitative genetic modeling and inference in the presence of nonignorable missing data. Evolution. vol. 68 (6).
- (2013) Animal Models and Integrated Nested Laplace Approximations. G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics. vol. 3 (8).
- (2013) Spatial models with explanatory variables in the dependence structure. Spatial Statistics. vol. 8.
- (2011) Comparing and Blending Regional Climate Model Predictions for the American Southwest. Journal of Agricultural Biological and Environmental Statistics. vol. 16 (4).
- (2010) Evaluation of statistical models for forecast errors from the HBV model. Journal of Hydrology. vol. 384 (1-2).
- (2010) Utilizing Gaussian Markov Random Field Properties of Bayesian Animal models. Biometrics. vol. 66 (3).
- (2008) Evolutionary dynamics of a sexual ornament in the house sparrow (Passer domesticus): The role of indirect selection within and between sexes. Evolution. vol. 62.
- (2007) Parallel exact sampling and evaluation of Gaussian Markov random fields. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis. vol. 51 (6).
- (2006) Indirect selection as a constraint on the evolution of sexual ornaments and other morphological traits in the House Sparrow. Journal of Ornithology = Journal fur Ornithologie. vol. 147.
- (2004) Proteolytic activity and properties of proteins in smoked salmon (Salmo salar) - effects of smoking temperature. Food Chemistry. vol. 85.
- (2004) Approximating hidden Gaussian Markov random fields. Journal of The Royal Statistical Society Series B-statistical Methodology. vol. 66 (4).