Background and activities
Leader, Integrative Neuroscience Group, Department of Neuromedicine and Movement Science, NTNU; Steering committee member, NTNU Biotechnology, Tissue Engineering R&D Stream; Secretary General and elected board member Norwegian Neuroscience Society (NNS); Member Federation of European Neuroscience Societies (FENS); Member scientific management team Translational Neuroscience Clinical-Academic Research Group
Sandvig group - Integrative Neuroscience https://www.ntnu.no/inb/sandvig#/view/about
Translational Neuroscience Clinical-Academic Research group https://www.ntnu.no/inb/tng#/view/about
The main research interest of our group is the study and elucidation of neuroplasticity mechanisms in the context of central nervous system (CNS) damage and repair. Specifically, we model and investigate dynamic structure-function relationships in neuronal assemblies in healthy and perturbed conditions with the goal of identifying and engaging key aspects of complex neural network behaviour that determine adaptive or maladaptive neuroplasticity in the lesioned CNS, including injury and neurodegenerative disease.
Ongoing research activities thus focus on CNS lesion modelling through the application of advanced interdisciplinary methods and theoretical principles. Apart from in vivo models, we work with in vitro and computational models that recapitulate andexploit two fundamental attributes of biological neural networks; (i) self-organisation over time into assemblies of increasing complexity, and (ii) self-organised criticality, i.e. a state in which the network demonstrates optimal computational capacity.
Such models are based on the integration of morphogenetic neuroengineering, with electrophysiology, opto-and chemogenetic tools and, deep learning principles for inference of neural network topology and functional dynamics in healthy and perturbed conditions. Specifically, by applying graph theory and deep learning principles, we seek to identify and extract temporospatial patterns of dynamic network activity influencing critical vulnerability states in engineered neural networks, including disease-and patient-specific neural networks with inherent or induced perturbations. Our working hypotheses are based on the relevance of specific identifiable network topologies for the functional capacity of a network in terms of plasticity, learning, and adaptability and, by the same token, for the initiation and spread of lesion-related pathologies.
Selected publications 2018-date
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Connectomics of morphogenetically engineered neurons as a predictor of functional integration in the ischemic brain. Frontiers in Neurology. vol. 10:630.
- (2019) Formation of neural networks with structural and functional features consistent with small-world network topology on surface-grafted polymer particles. Royal Society Open Science. vol. 6 (10).
- (2019) A novel lab-on-chip platform enabling axotomy and neuromodulation in a multi-nodal network. Biosensors & bioelectronics. vol. 140:111329.
- (2018) Neuroplasticity in stroke recovery. The role of microglia in engaging and modifying synapses and networks. European Journal of Neuroscience. vol. 47 (12).
- (2018) Structuring a multi-nodal neural network in vitro within a novel design microfluidic chip. Biomedical microdevices. vol. 20:9.
- (2019) Developing an engineered neural network model to use in the study of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. 3rd Nordic Neuroscience Meeting ; Helsinki. 2019-06-12 - 2019-06-14.
- (2019) Linking molecular biomarkers and behaviour in animal models and humans with Alzheimer´s disease. 3rd Nordic Neuroscience Meeting ; Helsinki. 2019-06-12 - 2019-06-14.
- (2019) Using computer models to infer disease pathology in in vitro models of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. 3rd Nordic Neuroscience Meeting ; Helsinki. 2019-06-12 - 2019-06-14.
- (2019) Establishing lateral entorhinal cortex layer-II neuron cultures as a tool for the investigation of early Alzheimer´s disease related changes. 3rd Nordic Neuroscience Meeting . University of Helsinki; Helsinki. 2019-06-12 - 2019-06-14.
- (2019) Establishing entorhinal cortex layer II neuron cultures as a tool for the investigation of early Alzheimer's disease related changes. 3rd Nordic Neuroscience Meeting 2019 . Nordic Neuroscience; Helsinki. 2019-06-12 - 2019-06-14.
- (2019) Assessment and manipulation of the computational capacity of in vitro neuronal networks through criticality in neuronal avalanches. IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence: Symposium on Artificial Life ; Xiamen. 2019-12-06 - 2019-12-09.
- (2019) Assessment and manipulation of the computational capacity of in vitro neuronal networks through criticality in neuronal avalanches. 7th NRSN PhD Conference . NRSN; Bekkjarvik. 2019-09-25 - 2019-09-27.
- (2019) Evaluation of the criticality of in vitro neuronal networks: Toward an assessment of computational capacity. IEEE ICDL-EpiRob 2019 - Workshop on Novel Substrates and Models for the Emergence of Developmental, Learning and Cognitive Capabilities . Stefano Nichele & Jianhua Zhang; Oslo. 2019-08-19 - 2019-08-19.
- (2019) Evaluating the criticality of neuronal networks toward the identification of pathological conditions. 3rd Nordic Neuroscience Meeting ; Helsinki. 2019-06-12 - 2019-06-14.
- (2019) Mapping functional response to axotomy in a reductionist corticospinal network. 3rd Nordic neuroscience Meeting ; Helsinki. 2019-06-12 - 2019-06-14.
- (2019) Mapping functional response to axotomy in a reductionist corticospinal circuit. NRSN PhD conference . NRSN; Bekkjarvik. 2019-09-25 - 2019-09-27.
- (2019) Method to obtain neuromorphic reservoir networks from images of in vitro cortical networks. 2019 IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence: IEEE Symposium on Neuromorphic Cognitive Computing (IEEE SNCC) ; 2019-12-06 - 2019-12-09.
- (2019) Alterations in functional spinal cord circuitry in response to injury. 3rd Nordic Neuroscience Meeting ; Helsinki. 2019-06-12 - 2019-06-14.
- (2019) Micro- and mesoscale dynamics of engineered neural networks in response to Parkinson´s related pathology. 55th Contact Meeting of the Norwegian Biochemical Society . Norwegian Biochemical Society; Røros. 2019-01-24 - 2019-01-27.
- (2019) Structural and functional dynamics of healthy and perturbed neural networks in vitro. 3rd Nordic neuroscience Meeting . University of Helsinki; 2019-06-12 - 2019-06-14.
- (2018) Studying Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis on Functional Neuromuscular Units Containing Subcomponents in Distinct Microenvironments. 11th FENS Forum of Neuroscience ; 2018-07-07 - 2018-07-11.
- (2018) Investigating the effect of axotomy on motoneuron network dynamics. FENS 2018 ; Berlin. 2018-07-07 - 2018-07-11.
- (2018) Deciphering the neural network response to Parkinson's disease associated proteinopathy. FENS Forum . Federation of european neuroscience societies; Berlin, City Cube. 2018-07-07 - 2018-07-11.
- (2018) An open microfluidic chip for the application of structuring 2D and 3D neural networks. FENS Forum ; Berlin. 2018-07-07 - 2018-07-11.