Background and activities
My research comrpises both experimental phonetics and speech technology. I work in both basic and applied research.
In recent years, I have been the project leader of a cross-disciplinary project on computer-assisted pronunciation training: the Computer-Assisted Listening and Speaking Tutor. The platform is multilingual, and offers exercises for English as well as several Norwegian dialects (because Norwegian does not have an accepted pronunciation standard); in the Horizon2020 EU-project easyRights we are developing a new version of the platform which also offers pronunciation training in several languages spoken in southern European countries which receive many migrants: Spanish and Greek, and soon Italian.
CALST tailors the exercise selection to the user's native language using L1-L2map, which contains over 500 languages (with Ukrainian as the most recent addition).
The platform is also used to collect user data which can be utilized for phonetic-linguistic analysis, and we hope that this can contribute to the development of new knowledge about foreign language acquisition.
In another applied research project we are developing a digital version of a speech therapy test which evaluates children's language development (speech sounds, cf. Norwegian phoneme test). The digital version of the test is implemented in such a way that new material can be added, so that it can relatively easily be adapted to other languages.
You can find more information, also about previous research topics, on my personal homepage.
Links: MY HOMEPAGE
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Category Similarity in Multilingual Pronunciation Training. Interspeech (USB).
- (2017) Local and Global Cues in the Prosodic Realization of Broad and Narrow Focus in Bulgarian. Phonetica: International Journal of Phonetic Science. vol. 73 (3-4).
- (2015) Consonant clusters in online L2 teaching: a multilingual approach. The Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching (PSLLT) Proceedings. vol. 6.
- (2013) The Bulgarian Stressed and Unstressed Vowel System. A Corpus Study. Interspeech (USB).
- (2012) How linguistic and probabilistic properties of a word affect the realization of its final /t/: Studies at the phonemic and sub-phonemic level. Journal of Phonetics. vol. 40 (4).
- (2011) Contrastive analysis through L1-L2map. TMH-QPSR. vol. 51.
- (2010) Predicting human perception and ASR classification of word-final [t] by its acoustic sub-segmental properties. Interspeech.
- (2009) Do Rhythm Measures Reflect Perceived Rhythm?. Phonetica: International Journal of Phonetic Science. vol. 66 (1-2).
- (2009) Word-final [t]-deletion: An analysis on the segmental and sub-segmental level. Interspeech.
- (2007) Global features for rapid identity verification with dynamic biometric data. Interspeech.
- (2006) Perceived speech rate: the effects of articulation rate and speaking style in spontaneous speech. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. vol. 119 (1).
- (2017) Nordic Prosody. Proceedings of the XIIth Conference, Trondheim 2016. Peter Lang Publishing Group. 2017. ISBN 978-3-631-72352-4.
Part of book/report
- (2017) Preface. Nordic Prosody. Proceedings of the XIIth Conference, Trondheim 2016..
- (2015) Selective teaching of L2 pronunciation. Critical CALL. Proceedings of the 2015 EUROCALL Conference, Padova, Italy..
- (2015) A systematic approach to the pronunciation training of phonotactics. Proceedings of the 18th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences.
- (2015) L1-L2map: una base de datos fónica para la enseñanza de la pronunciación de segundas lenguas. Perspectivas actuales en el análisis fónico del habla. Tradición y avances en la fonética experimental.
- (2014) A cross-language corpus for studying the phonetics and phonology of prominence. Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC'14).
- (2014) Local and global acoustic correlates of information structure in Bulgarian. Speech Prosody 7.
- (2013) Eyebrow movements in prosody. Nordic Prosody. Proceedings of the XIth Conference, Tartu 2012.
- (2013) Prosodic Effects of Implicit Causality in German and Norwegian?. Nordic Prosody. Proceedings of the XIth Conference, Tartu 2012.