Background and activities
Fields of interest:
- Extractive metallurgy of silicon, ferroalloys, iron and steel,...
- Purification of silicon for solar applications; vacuum refining, slag refining, gas refining, etc.
- Production of alumina
- Thermodynamics and phase relations in metallurgical systems
- Kinetics of metallurgical reactions (reduction, oxidation, gasification, evaporation, ...)
- Natural gass use in metal production
- Carbon materials and their properties for metallurgical processes
- Transport phenomena in metallurgy (heat transfer and mass transfer)
- Metallurgical lab; metallurgical furnaces, experimental design, and materials characterization
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Selective Vacuum Evaporation by the Control of the Chemistry of Gas Phase in Vacuum Refining of Si. Langmuir.
- (2021) High temperature interaction between Si–B alloys and Si3N4. Ceramics International. vol. 47 (10).
- (2021) The Utilization of Bauxite Residue with a Calcite-Rich Bauxite Ore in the Pedersen Process for Iron and Alumina Extraction. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B. vol. 52 (3).
- (2021) Phase Transitions and Microstructural Changes During Oxidation and Reduction of a Weathered Ilmenite Concentrate. Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration (MME).
- (2021) Effects of La2O3 Addition into CaO-SiO2 Slag: Structural Evolution and Impurity Separation from Si-Sn Alloy. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B.
- (2021) P removal from Si by Si-Ca-Al alloying-leaching refining: Effect of Al and the CaAl2Si2 phase. Separation and Purification Technology. vol. 271.
- (2020) Leaching kinetics and mechanism of slag produced from smelting-reduction of bauxite for alumina recovery. Hydrometallurgy. vol. 195 (105388).
- (2020) Synthesis and Characterization of 12CaO·7Al2O3 Slags: The Effects of Impurities and Atmospheres on the Phase Relations. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B. vol. 51.
- (2020) Characterization and calcination behavior of a low-grade manganese ore. Materials Today Communications. vol. 25.
- (2020) Vacuum refining of silicon at ultra-high tempratures. Vacuum. vol. 184.
- (2020) Modeling Viscosity of High Titania Slag. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B. vol. 52B.
- (2020) On the Direct Reduction Phenomena of Bauxite Ore Using H2 Gas in a Fixed Bed Reactor. Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy. vol. 6 (2).
- (2020) Phosphorus separation from metallurgical-grade silicon by magnesium alloying and acid leaching. Separation and Purification Technology. vol. 240.
- (2020) New Insights into Silicon Purification by Alloying-Leaching Refining: A Comparative Study of Mg-Si, Ca-Si, and Ca-Mg-Si Systems. ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering. vol. 8 (42).
- (2020) Impurity removal from Si by Si-Ca-Mg ternary alloying-leaching system. Materials & design. vol. 198.
- (2019) The leachability of a ternary CaO-Al2O3-SiO2 slag produced from smelting-reduction of low-grade bauxite for alumina recovery. Hydrometallurgy. vol. 191.
- (2019) Leaching characteristics and mechanism of the synthetic calcium-aluminate slags for alumina recovery. Hydrometallurgy. vol. 185.
- (2019) Kinetics and Mechanism of Low-Grade Manganese Ore Reduction by Natural Gas. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B. vol. 50 (4).
- (2019) Gaseous reduction of manganese ores: A review and theoretical insight. Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Review. vol. 41 (3).
- (2019) Mechanisms of graphite crucible degradation in contact with Si–Al melts at high temperatures and vacuum conditions. Vacuum. vol. 171.