Jan Sandstad Næss
Background and activities
PhD candidate at the Industrial Ecology Programme. My research interests are related to the Paris agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals. I work with climate change mitagation, energy systems and land management.
- Sustainable land management.
- Advanced bioenergy systems and quantification of the global energy and climate change mitigation potential of bioenergy.
- Modelling of land-surface atmosphere interactions related to changes in land use.
My supervisor is Professor Francesco Cherubini.
- Research assistant, NTNU, 2017 - 2018.
- Dynamic building stock modelling, energy- and greenhouse gas emission analysis of building stocks. FME ZEN - The Research Centre on Zero Emission Neighbourhoods in Smart Cities.
- Circular economy. NTNU Sustainability.
- Involved in the courses TET4135 - Energy planning and TET4155 - Energy systems.
- M.Sc. Energy and environmental engineering, NTNU, 2017.
Thesis: Energy analysis of Trondheim's dwelling stock in order to identify and investigate differences between a national and local dwelling stock.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Recent global land cover dynamics and implications for soil erosion and carbon losses from deforestation. Anthropocene. vol. 34.
- (2021) Optimal combination of bioenergy and solar photovoltaic for renewable energy production on abandoned cropland. Renewable Energy. vol. 168.
- (2021) The land–energy–water nexus of global bioenergy potentials from abandoned cropland. Nature Sustainability. vol. 4.
- (2021) Large potentials for energy saving and greenhouse gas emission reductions from large-scale deployment of zero emission building technologies in a national building stock. Energy Policy. vol. 152.
- (2021) Meta-analysis of leaf area index, canopy height and root depth of three bioenergy crops and their effects on land surface modeling. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology. vol. 306.
- (2021) Overview of recent land cover changes, forest harvest areas, and soil erosion trends in Nordic countries. Geography and Sustainability. vol. 2 (3).
- (2019) Future energy pathways for a university campus considering possibilities for energy efficiency improvements. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 352 (1).
- (2019) Energianalyse for bygningsmassen i Oslo. Scenarioanalyse av energibruk og klimagassutslipp 2009–2040. 2019. ISBN 978-82-536-1619-3. ZEN Report (14).
- (2018) Neighbourhood building stock model for long-term dynamic analyses of energy demand and GHG emissions. SINTEF akademisk forlag. 2018. ISBN 978-82-536-1569-1. ZEN Report (2).