Jan Sandstad Næss
Background and activities
I am a postdoctoral researcher at the Industrial Ecology Programme. My research interests are related to the Paris agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals. I work with climate change mitagation, energy systems, mobility, and land and water resource management.
My research activities include:
- Climate change mitigation and sustainable development.
- Renewable energy deployment with focus on bioenergy and solar photovoltaics.
- Land-energy-water nexus analyses.
- Zero emission neighbourhoods.
- Urban mobility.
- Land-based carbon dioxide removal (afforestation and BECCS).
- Land-surface atmosphere interactions.
I have a PhD in Industrial Ecology from NTNU on sustainable use of land and water resources for bioenergy production.
Currently, I am involved in the Zero Emission Neighbourhoods project. Activities include modelling of urban mobility and the development of mitigation strategies for the transport sector.
Næss, J. S. (2022). Advancing sustainable land and water management strategies for deployment of bioenergy production systems. Doctoral thesis at NTNU. https://hdl.handle.net/11250/2991378
Næss, J. S., Iordan, C. M., Muri, H., & Cherubini, F. (2022). Energy potentials and water requirements from perennial grasses on abandoned land in the former Soviet Union. Environmental Research Letters. https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/ac5e67
Næss, J.S., Cavalett, O. & Cherubini, F. The land–energy–water nexus of global bioenergy potentials from abandoned cropland. Nature Sustainability 4, 525–536 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-020-00680-5
Leirpoll, M. E., Næss, J. S., Cavalett, O., Dorber, M., Hu, X., & Cherubini, F. (2021). Optimal combination of bioenergy and solar photovoltaic for renewable energy production on abandoned cropland. Renewable Energy, 168, 45-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2020.11.159
Hu, X., Næss, J. S., Iordan, C. M., Huang, B., Zhao, W., & Cherubini, F. (2021). Recent global land cover dynamics and implications for soil erosion and carbon losses from deforestation. Anthropocene, 34, 100291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ancene.2021.100291
Zhou, N., Hu, X., Byskov, I., Næss, J. S., Wu, Q., Zhao, W., & Cherubini, F. (2021). Overview of recent land cover changes, forest harvest areas, and soil erosion trends in Nordic countries. Geography and Sustainability, 2(3), 163-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geosus.2021.07.001
Urrego, J. P. F., Huang, B., Næss, J. S., Hu, X., & Cherubini, F. (2021). Meta-analysis of leaf area index, canopy height and root depth of three bioenergy crops and their effects on land surface modeling. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 306, 108444. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2021.108444
Sandberg, N. H., Næss, J. S., Brattebø, H., Andresen, I., & Gustavsen, A. (2021). Large potentials for energy saving and greenhouse gas emission reductions from large-scale deployment of zero emission building technologies in a national building stock. Energy Policy, 152, 112114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2020.112114
Nord, N., Sandberg, N. H., Ngo, H., Nesgård, E., Woszczek, A., Tereshchenko, T., Næss, J. S., & Brattebø, H. (2019). Future energy pathways for a university campus considering possibilities for energy efficiency improvements. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (Vol. 352, No. 1, p. 012037). IOP Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/352/1/012037
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Energianalyse for bygningsmassen i Oslo. Scenarioanalyse av energibruk og klimagassutslipp 2009–2040. 2019. ISBN 978-82-536-1619-3. ZEN Report (14).
- (2018) Neighbourhood building stock model for long-term dynamic analyses of energy demand and GHG emissions. SINTEF akademisk forlag. 2018. ISBN 978-82-536-1569-1. ZEN Report (2).
- (2019) Land management for climate change mitigation: finding space for bioenergy plantations. 10th IALE World Congress . International Association for Landscape Ecology; Milano. 2019-07-01 - 2019-07-05.
- (2019) Scenario modelling of long-term development in energy use in building stocks. Enerconf . International Energy Research Centre (IERC); Cork. 2019-06-19 - 2019-06-19.