Background and activities
BA, Foreign Affairs, University of Virginia 1978; MA, Government, Georgetown University 1980; MA (1981), PhD (1990) International Studies, Graduate School of International Studies (now the Josef Korbel School of International Studies), University of Denver.
Areas of research: comparative politics, civil society, fisheries management, religion, revolution and collective action and international politics.
Publications in European Journal of International Relations, Marine Policy, Journal of Environment and Development, Internasjonal politikk, and others. Co-editor of book Fundamentalism and the Modern World (2 volumes) (with Mårtensson, Ringrose & Dyrendal) and Raudåte -- redning eller ruin? (with Tretvik, Tiller & Otterstad).
Project leader for NFR project No. 216607 CINTERA (A Cross-disciplinary Integrated Eco-Systemic Eurtophication Research and Management Approach) and NFR Project No. 216604 JANUS (Modeling an Interdisciplinary Early Warning System for Future Fisheries Scenarios: A socio-bio-economic value chain).
Participant in EU project MYFISH. Member of “Dialogues on Aquaculture” (an NTNU Research Group), NTNU’s Marine Strategic Area, the NTNU-SINTEF Gemini Center for Sustainable Fisheries and the International Council for Exploration of the Seas’ Working Group for Marine Systems (WGMARS).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Social-Cultural Ecosystem Services of Sea Trout Recreational Fishing in Norway. Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 6 (178).
- (2018) Rethinking the Oceans and their Management. Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences. vol. 8 (2).
- (2017) Bridging the gap between fisheries science and society: Exploring fisheries science as a social activity. ICES Journal of Marine Science. vol. 74 (2).
- (2017) Value and growth - rethinking basic concepts in Lockean liberalism. Etikk i praksis. vol. 11 (1).
- (2016) Adventures in Cross-disciplinary Studies: Grand Strategy and Fisheries Management. Marine Policy. vol. 63.
- (2016) Coming soon to a fjord near you: future jellyfish scenarios in a changing climate. Coastal Management. vol. 45 (1).
- (2016) Stakeholder Perceptions of Links between Environmental Changes to their Socio-Ecological System and their Adaptive Capacity in the Region of Troms, Norway. Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 3.
- (2015) Interdisciplinarity as an Emergent Property: The Research Project “CINTERA” and the Study of Marine Eutrophication. Sustainability. vol. 7 (7).
- (2015) Stakeholder perceptions of the impacts from salmon aquaculture in the Chilean Patagonia. Ocean and Coastal Management. vol. 118.
- (2014) Looking for Sustainable solutions in salmon aquaculture. Etikk i praksis. vol. 8 (1).
- (2012) Whale watching, the Buenos Aires Group and the politics of the International Whaling Commission. Marine Policy. vol. 36 (2).
- (2012) Norwegian aquaculture expansion and Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM): Simmering conflicts and competing claims. Marine Policy. vol. 36 (5).
- (2009) Norway, the United States, and Commercial Whaling. The Journal of environment & development. vol. 18 (1).
- (2008) Arrested Development: The Fight to End Commercial Whaling as a Case of Failed Norm Change. European Journal of International Relations. vol. 14 (2).
- (2008) Protestantismens arv og liberalismens politikk: et blikk på USAs religiøse liv. Internasjonal Politikk. vol. 66 (2-3).
- (2006) Harry Potter and International Relations. Norsk Statsvitenskapelig Tidsskrift.
- (2005) An Essential Revision. Norsk Statsvitenskapelig Tidsskrift. vol. 21 (4).
- (2004) Den moralske renhet og dens fiender. Internasjonal Politikk. vol. 62 (3).
- (2002) "Are Japanese Attitudes Towards Whaling America-Bashing? A Response to Tanno and Hamazaki",. Asian Affairs: An American Review. vol. 29 (3).
- (1997) Northern waters : management issues and practice : ESSFiN workshop report. FINESSE : fisheries newsletter for social sciences in Europe.