Background and activities
Yuming Jiang received his BSc degree from Peking University, MEng degree from Beijing Institute of Technology, and PhD degree from the National University of Singapore (NUS). Before his PhD study, he worked with Motorola. He was a Research Engineer at NUS, from 1999 to 2001. From 2001 to 2003, he was with the Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R), Singapore as a Member of Technical Staff and Research Scientist. In Jan 2004, he joined the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), and since Dec 2005, he has been a full Professor at NTNU. He visited Northwestern University, USA, from Aug 2009 - July 2010, and Columbia University, USA, from Aug 2015 - July 2016.
He is recipient of a fellowship from the European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERCIM). He was Chair and board member of IEEE Norway Section. He was Co-Chair of IEEE Globecom2005— General Conference Symposium, TPC Co-Chair of 67th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC) 2008, General/TPC Co-Chair of International Symposium on Wireless Communication Systems (ISWCS) 2007-2010, General Chair of IFIP Networking 2014 Conference, Chair of 2018 International Workshop on Network Calculus and Applications (NetCal 2018), and TPC Co-Chair of the 32nd International Teletraffic Congress (ITC32), 2020.
His research interests are in the provision and analysis of quality of service guarantees in communication networks, network management, and network calculus. In the area of network calculus, his focus has been on developing fundamental models and investigating their basic properties for stochastic network calculus (snetcal), and applying snetcal to performance analysis of various types of networks, particularly wireless networks. He is author of the book ”Stochastic Network Calculus” published by Springer in 2008. In addition, a recent effort is on investigating basic properties of the traffic and service models adopted in time-sensitive networking (TSN) and deterministic networking (DetNet).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Simultaneous Perturbation Stochastic Approximation-based Consensus for Tracking under Unknown-but-Bounded Disturbances. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control.
- (2020) Joint head selection and airtime allocation for data dissemination in mobile social networks. Computer Networks. vol. 166.
- (2020) Local voting: A new distributed bandwidth reservation algorithm for 6TiSCH networks. Computer Networks. vol. 180.
- (2019) Distributed Tracking Via Simultaneous Perturbation Stochastic Approximation-Based Consensus Algorithm. Proceedings of 58th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC 2019).
- (2019) On Buffer-Constrained Throughput of a Wireless-Powered Communication System. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. vol. 37 (2).
- (2019) OFM: An Online Fisher Market for Cloud Computing. IEEE Infocom. Proceedings. vol. 2019-April.
- (2019) Keeping Connected When the Mobile Social Network Goes Offline. IEEE International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking, and Communications.
- (2019) Improving the Analysis of GPC in Real-Time Calculus. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 11951 LNCS.
- (2019) Improving Multiprocessor Real-Time Systems with Bursty Inputs under Global EDF using Shapers. 2019 IEEE 22nd International Symposium on Real-Time Distributed Computing (ISORC 2019).
- (2019) Pay-Burst-Only-Once in Real-Time Calculus. 2019 IEEE 25th International Conference on Embedded and Real-Time Computing Systems and Applications (RTCSA).
- (2019) Towards Carrier-Grade Service Provisioning in NFV. 2019 15th International Conference on the Design of Reliable Communication Networks (DRCN), 19-21 March 2019 in Coimbra, Portugal.
- (2019) Virtual Wires: Rethinking WiFi networks. IEEE International Symposium on Local and Metropolitan Area Networks (LANMAN 2019).
- (2018) SENATUS: An Approach to Joint Traffic Anomaly Detection and Root Cause Analysis. 2018 2nd Cyber Security in Networking Conference (CSNet).
- (2018) Local voting protocol step-size choice for consensus achievement. International Journal of Intelligent Engineering Informatics. vol. 6 (1/2).
- (2018) Non-Asymptotic Delay Bounds for Multi-Server Systems with Synchronization Constraints. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. vol. 29 (7).
- (2018) An Approach to Detect Anomalous Degradation in Signal Strength of IEEE 802.15.4 Links. 2018 15th Annual IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication, and Networking (SECON).
- (2018) Modeling Packet Loss Rate of IEEE 802.15.4 Links in Diverse Environmental Conditions. 2018 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC).
- (2018) A Basic Result on the Superposition of Arrival Processes in Deterministic Networks. 2018 IEEE GLOBAL COMMUNICATIONS CONFERENCE (GLOBECOM).
- (2018) Revenue-Maximizing Radio Access Technology Selection with Net Neutrality Compliance in Heterogeneous Wireless Networks. Wireless Communications & Mobile Computing. vol. 2018.
- (2018) Toward Optimal Distributed Node Scheduling in a Multihop Wireless Network Through Local Voting. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 17 (1).
- (2018) Measures for Network Structural Dependency Analysis. IEEE Communications Letters. vol. 22 (10).
- (2018) ClusPR: Balancing Multiple Objectives at Scale for NFV Resource Allocation. IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management. vol. 15 (4).
- (2018) An LQI-Based Packet Loss Rate Model for IEEE 802.15.4 Links. 2018 IEEE 29th Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC).
- (2017) Delay and Delay-Constrained Throughput Performance of a Wireless-Powered Communication System. IEEE Access. vol. 5.
- (2017) Fair Airtime Allocation for Content Dissemination in WiFi-Direct-Based Mobile Social Networks. Proceedings of 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC'17).
- (2017) Mobile social networks: Design requirements, architecture, and state-of-the-art technology. Computer Communications. vol. 100.
- (2017) Unmanned Aerial Vehicles as Data Mules: An Experimental Assessment. IEEE Access. vol. 5.
- (2017) A Statistical Property of Wireless Channel Capacity: Theory and Application. Performance Evaluation Review. vol. 45 (3).
- (2017) Failure Process Characteristics of Cloud-Enabled Services. 9th International Workshop on Resilient Netwrorks Design and Modeling.
- (2017) Survivability analysis of a two-tier infrastructure-based wireless network. Computer Networks. vol. 128.
- (2016) Non-asymptotic delay bounds for (k, l) fork-join systems and multi-stage fork-join networks. IEEE Infocom. Proceedings.
- (2016) Deep Semantics Inspection over Big Network Data at Wire Speed. IEEE Network. vol. 30 (1).
- (2016) A Bounded Model of the Communication Delay for System Integrity Protection Schemes. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. vol. 31 (4).
- (2016) Stochastic delay analysis for train control services in next-generation high-speed railway communications system. IEEE transactions on intelligent transportation systems (Print). vol. 17 (1).
- (2015) Approximate Consensus in Stochastic Networks with Application to Load Balancing. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. vol. 61 (4).
- (2015) Fundamentals of the Backoff Process in 802.11: Dichotomy of the Aggregation. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. vol. 61 (4).
- (2015) Investigation on MDP-based radio access technology selection in heterogeneous wireless networks. Computer Networks. vol. 91.
- (2014) Assessing the service quality of an Internet path through end-to-end measurement. Computer Networks. vol. 70.
- (2014) Differentiated Consensuses in a Stochastic Network with Priorities. Proc. of 2014 IEEE Multi-conference on Systems and Control.
- (2014) Towards a system theoretic approach to wireless network capacity in finite time and space. IEEE Infocom. Proceedings.
- (2014) On the transient behavior of CHOKe. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking. vol. 22 (3).
- (2014) Towards Stochastic Delay Bound Analysis for Network-on-Chip. 8th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Networks-on-Chip (NoCS).
- (2013) Locating Disruptions on an Internet Path through End-to-End Measurements. Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications.
- (2013) Generalizing the CHOKe flow protection. Computer Networks. vol. 57 (1).
- (2013) Stochastic Service Curve and Delay Bound Analysis: A Single Node Case. Proceedings of the 2013 25th International Teletraffic Congress (ITC).
- (2013) On applying stochastic network calculus. Frontiers of Computer Science. vol. 7 (6).
- (2013) Stochastic Performance Analysis of a Wireless Finite-State Markov Channel. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 12 (2).
- (2012) K-Sparse Approximation for Traffic Histogram Dimensionality Reduction. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Network and Service Management (CNSM 2012).
- (2012) On the Asymptotic Validity of the Decoupling Assumption for Analyzing 802.11 MAC Protocol. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory. vol. 58 (11).
- (2012) Fairness among High Speed and Traditional TCP under different Queue Management Mechanisms. Proceedings of the 8th Asian Internet Engineering Conference (AINTEC), 2012.
- (2012) Analysis on the Capacity of a Cognitive Radio Network under Delay Constraints. IEICE transactions on communications. vol. E95B (4).
- (2012) Analysis on the battery lifespan of a mobile terminal under probabilistic delay constraint. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Energy-Efficient Computing and Networking (e-Energy'12).
- (2012) Stochastic network calculus for performance analysis of Internet networks — An overview and outlook. Proceedings of International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), 2012.
- (2012) Delay Constrained Throughput Analysis of SISO. Proceedings of 2012 3rd IEEE International Conference on Network Infrastructure and Digital Content (IC-NIDC).
- (2012) Performance of multiuser CDMA receivers with bursty traffic and delay constraints. Proceedings of International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), 2012.
- (2012) A Stochastic Calculus for Network Systems with Renewable Energy Sources. IEEE Infocom. Proceedings.
- (2011) Delay Constrained Throughput Analysis of a Correlated MIMO Wireless Channel. Computer Communications and Networks.
- (2011) A Structural Analysis of Network Delay. Proceedings of the 9th Annual Conference on Communication Networks and Services Research (CNSR), 2011.
- (2011) Approximate Fairness Through Limited Flow List. International Teletraffic Congress.
- (2011) On the flow fairness of aggregate queues. Baltic Congress on Future Internet and Communications.
- (2011) Capacity Limits for a Cognitive Radio Network under Fading Channel. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS).
- (2011) A Virtual Queue Approach to Loss Estimation. IEEE International Conference on Communications.
- (2011) On the Flow-Level Delay of a Spatial Multiplexing MIMO Wireless Channel. IEEE International Conference on Communications.
- (2011) Delay Constrained Throughput Analysis of CDMA Using Stochastic Network Calculus. IEEE International Conference on Networks (ICON) : Proceedings.
- (2011) A Temporal Network Calculus Approach to Service Guarantee Analysis of Stochastic Networks. VALUETOOLS 2011 - 5th International ICST Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools.
- (2011) Performance of Acyclic Stochastic Networks with Network Coding. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. vol. 22 (7).
- (2010) Analyzing Router Performance Using Network Calculus with External Measurements. 18th International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS), 2010.
- (2010) Flow Aggregation Using Dynamic Packet State. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 6164.
- (2010) Performance Analysis of a Cognitive Radio Network with Imperfect Spectrum Sensing. INFOCOM IEEE Conference on Computer Communications Workshops, 2010.
- (2010) On the backlog and delay distributions of primary and secondary users in a cognitive radio network. China Communications. vol. 7 (5).
- (2010) On the Balance between Accuracy and Robustness for Online Estimation of Delay Tail Probability. Computer Communications and Networks.
- (2010) On the balance between accuracy and robustness for online estimation of delay tail probability. Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN) : Zurich, Switzerland, 2-5 August 2010.
- (2010) On the Modeling of Delay and Burstiness for Calculating Throughput. Sarnoff Symposium, 2010 IEEE.
- (2010) MBAC: Impact of the Measurement Error on Key Performance Issues. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS).
- (2010) On the model transform in stochastic network calculus. 18th International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS), 2010.
- (2009) Network Calculus and Queueing Theory: Two Sides of One Coin. Proceedings of Fourth International Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools (VALUETOOLS 2009).
- (2009) Fundamental calculus on generalized stochastically bounded bursty traffic for communication networks. Computer Networks. vol. 53 (12).
- (2009) Quantifying the Uncertainty in Measurements for MBAC. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 5733.
- (2009) A calculus for information-driven networks. Proc. 17th International Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQoS), 2009.
- (2009) Stochastic Network Calculus Models under Max-Plus Algebra. Proceedings of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference 2009.
- (2009) Stochastic Service Guarantee Analysis Based on Time-Domain Models. Proceedings of the ... International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems.
- (2008) Stochastic Network Calculus. Springer. 2008. ISBN 978-1-84800-126-8.
- (2008) Robustness Study of MBAC Algorithms. Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC), 2008.
- (2008) An analysis on error servers for stochastic network calculus. Proceedings of the 33rd IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), 2008.
- (2007) A Calculus for Stochastic QoS Analysis. Performance evaluation (Print). vol. 64 (6).
- (2007) MBAC Robustness to Traffic Variations: A Simulation Study. Proceedings of Fourth European Conference on Universal Multiservice Networks.
- (2007) Network Calculus Approach to Router Modeling with External Measurements. Proceedings from International Conference on Communications and Networking in China (ChinaCom 2007).
- (2006) A Basic Stochastic Network Calculus. Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM 2006: Conference on Computer Communications, Pisa, Italy, September 11-15, 2006.
- (2006) Implicit Admission Control for a Differentiated Services Network. Proceedings of EuroNGI 2nd Conference on Next Generation Internet Design and Engineering on CD-ROM.
- (2006) A Basic Stochastic Network Calculus. Computer communication review. vol. 36 (4).
- (2006) Delay bound and packet scale rate guarantee for some expedited forwarding networks. Computer Networks. vol. 50 (1).
- (2006) Per-domain packet scale rate guarantee for expedited forwarding. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking. vol. 14.
- (2006) Conformance Analysis in Networks with Service Level Agreements. Computer Networks. vol. 47 (6).
- (2005) Analysis of Stochastic Service Guarantees in Communication Networks: A Traffic Model. Proceedings in 19th International Teletraffic Congress 2005.
- (2005) Measurement-Based Admission Control for a Flow-Aware Network. Proceedings in EuroNGI First Conference on Next Generation Internet Networks - Traffic Engineering (NGI 2005).
- (2005) Analysis of stochastic service guarantees in communication networks: A server model. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 3552.
- (2005) Queueing processes in GPS and PGPS with LRD traffic inputs. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking. vol. 13.
- (2004) Analysis of Multi-Server Round Robin Scheduling Disciplines. IEICE transactions on communications. vol. E87-B (12).
- (2004) A Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation Scheme for Differentiated Services in EPONs. IEEE Communications Magazine. vol. 42 (8).
- (2004) Link-based fair aggregation: A simple approach to scalable support of per-flow service guarantees. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 3042.