Background and activities
PhD: The Climate Dimension and the Physical Principles of Zero Emission Neighbourhoods in Norway
The project is connected to the research project of FME ZEN (Research Centre on Zero Emission Neighbourhoods in Smart Cities). The aim of my PhD is the comprehensive description of microclimatic parameters influencing the energy and emission balances of zero emission buildings and neighborhoods in Norway. The performance of those neighborhoods is to be investigated and described from a multi-scale perspective, as the magnitude of climatic impacts is related to the scale and type of surface modification.
The main objectives are:
- Analyze the climatic data, the pattern and size of neighborhood types (morphology, land cover, geometry and structure) and the properties of materials used in Norway and which materials are of advantageous use in cold climate
- Set up and validate numerical simulation models of selected ZEN pilot projects or other representative buildings in the designated simulation environment
- Perform numerical simulations (ANSYS Fluent) to evaluate the impact of microclimatic parameters and physical properties of the urban fabric on the energy and emission performance of zero emission buildings and neighborhoods
- Develop solutions for optimal environmental quality of zero emission neighborhoods, define measures for the climate adaption to enhance the transition to a low carbon society and support urban planning professionals in their decision making process
Scientific, academic and artistic work
- (2019) Automatic vs manual control strategy for window blinds and ceiling lights: Consequences to perceived visual and thermal discomfort. Journal of Daylighting. vol. 6 (2).
- (2019) Microclimate analysis of a university campus in Norway. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 352.
Part of book/report
- (2019) Analysis of outdoor thermal comfort at a university campus in Norway. Book of Proceedings. 4th Conference of Interdisciplinary Research on Real Estate (CIRRE), Trondheim, September 12-13, 2019..
- (2019) Characterisation of Heat Losses in Zero Emission Buildings (ZEB) in Cold Climate. Proceedings of Building Simulation 2019: 16th Conference of IBPSA, Roma, September 02-04.
- (2019) Temperature and thermal comfort in office spaces: measurements vs. simulations. Proceedings of Building Simulation 2019: 16th Conference of IBPSA, Roma, September 02-04.
- (2018) Validation of a Digital Twin with Measurement Data. Proceedings of the 39th AIVC Conference. 7th TightVent Conference. 5th venticool Conference. Smart Ventilation for buildings..
- (2018) Towards validation of a numerical model of a test cell laboratory. 7th International Building Conference, 23.09.2018 – 26.09.2018, Syracuse, USA. IBPC 2018.
- (2018) Study of a Digital Twin for a Test Laboratory. 2018.
- (2018) Bygger enestående laboratorium. Byggfakta [Fagblad]. 2018-06-10.