Jolene Van der Kaap-Deeder
Background and activities
Jolene van der Kaap-Deeder works as an Associate Professor in Development and Psychopathology at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). In most of her work, she employs the theoretical framework of the Self-Determination Theory (SDT) thereby focusing on topics such as the psychological needs, autonomy-supportive and controlling parenting, motivation, and emotion regulation.
Jolene also obtained funding from the Research Council of Norway (Researcher Project for Young Talents) to examine the topic of emotion crafting (i.e., the EMOCRAFT project). The purpose of the EMOCRAFT project is to gain more insight into how late adolescents can actively contribute to their own emotional functioning which we call ‘emotion crafting’. Specifically, we want to examine how late adolescents can create more positive emotions in their daily life. This project first aims to examine what fosters such emotion crafting in late adolescents, where we for instance will look at how optimal parenting can increase adolescents' ability to engage in emotion crafting. Second, we want to determine what the consequences are of emotion crafting. It is, for instance, expected that emotion crafting will not only result in more positive emotions but also a higher level of self-esteem and a better quality of social relationships.
Trondheim Early Secure Study (TESS)
Jolene is also a member of the TESS-research group. TESS started in 2007 and comprises a sample of 1,250 children drawn from the 2003 and 2004 birth cohorts and their parents in Trondheim, Norway. The participants were examined when the children were 4 years old and they have been followed up biennally with in-depth interviews, questionnaires, tests, and observations.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
- (2021) Risk and Resilience Predictors of Recovery after Spinal Fusion Surgery in Adolescents. The Clinical Journal of Pain. vol. 37 (11).
- (2021) Parenting and Child Personality as Modifiers of the Psychosocial Development of Youth with Cerebral Palsy. Child Psychiatry and Human Development. vol. 53.
- (2021) Parental identity as a resource for parental adaptation during the COVID-19 lockdown. Journal of Family Psychology. vol. 35 (8).
- (2021) The Role of Parents’ Autonomy Support and Psychological Control in Sibling Relationship Functioning through Children’s Need-based Experiences. British Journal of Developmental Psychology. vol. 39 (4).
- (2021) The role of ego integrity and despair in older adults’ well-being during the COVID-19 crisis: the mediating role of need-based experiences. European Journal of Ageing.
- (2021) Police Procedural Justice and Adolescents' Internalization of the Law: Integrating Self-determination Theory into Legal Socialization Research. Journal of Social Issues (JSI). vol. 77 (2).
- (2021) Do Psychological Needs Play a Role in Times of Uncertainty? Associations with Well-Being During the COVID-19 Crisis. Journal of Happiness Studies. vol. 23.
- (2021) “How to unlock myself from boredom?” The role of mindfulness and a dual awareness- and action-oriented pathway during the COVID-19 lockdown. Personality and Individual Differences. vol. 175.
- (2020) Psychologically Controlling Parenting during Toddlerhood: The Role of Mothers’ Perceived Parenting History and Emotion Regulation Style. Journal of Child and Family Studies. vol. 29.
- (2020) Negative Controlling Parenting and Child Personality as Modifiers of Psychosocial Development in Youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A 9-Year Longitudinal Study at the Level of Within-Person Change. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
- (2020) Nurses’ interaction styles when supporting patients in self-management: A profile approach. International Journal of Nursing Studies. vol. 110.
- (2020) Emotion regulation and borderline personality features: The mediating role of basic psychological need frustration. Personality and Individual Differences. vol. 168.
- (2020) Towards a detailed understanding of preschool children’s memory-related functioning and emotion regulation: The role of parents’ observed reminiscence style, memory valence, and parental gender. Developmental Psychology. vol. 56 (9).
- (2020) Live well and die with inner peace: The importance of retrospective need-based experiences, ego integrity and despair for late adults’ death attitudes. Archives of gerontology and geriatrics (Print). vol. 91.
- (2019) Need-supportive parenting fosters psychosocial development in youth with and without autism spectrum disorder, cerebral palsy and down syndrome: A cross-disability comparison. Advances in Neurodevelopmental Disorders. vol. 3.
- (2019) The internalization of rules within prison: The role of correctional officers’ autonomy-supportive versus controlling communication style. Motivation and Emotion. vol. 43.
- (2019) De ene dag is de andere niet: Een dynamische kijk op autonomieondersteunend opvoeden. [One day is not the other: A dynamic view on autonomy-supportive parenting]. Kind & Adolescent. vol. 40.
- (2019) From daily need experiences to autonomy-supportive and psychologically controlling parenting via psychological availability and stress. Parenting, science and practice. vol. 19.
- (2019) The role of weekly need-based experiences and self-criticism in predicting weekly academic (mal)adjustment. Learning and Individual Differences. vol. 69.
- (2019) The role of competence-related attentional bias and resilience in restoring thwarted feelings of competence. Motivation and Emotion. vol. 44.
- (2018) Day-to-day variation in autonomy-supportive and psychologically controlling parenting: The role of parents’ daily experiences of need satisfaction and need frustration. Parenting, science and practice. vol. 18.
- (2018) The role of child personality in effects of psychologically controlling parenting: An examination at the level of daily fluctuations. European Journal of Personality. vol. 32.
- (2018) Are the benefits of autonomy satisfaction and the costs of autonomy frustration dependent on individuals’ autonomy strength?. Journal of Personality. vol. 86.
- (2018) The development and validation of an implicit measure of competence need satisfaction. Motivation and Emotion. vol. 42.
- (2017) Choosing when choices are limited: The role of perceived afforded choice and autonomy in prisoners’ well-being. Law and Human Behavior. vol. 41.
- (2017) Antecedents of provided autonomy support and psychological control within close friendships: The role of evaluative concerns perfectionism and basic psychological needs. Personality and Individual Differences. vol. 108.
- (2017) Children’s daily well-being: The role of mothers’, teachers’, and siblings’ autonomy support and psychological control. Developmental Psychology. vol. 53.
- (2016) The impeding role of self-critical perfectionism on therapeutic alliance during treatment and eating disorder symptoms at follow-up in patients with an eating disorder. Psychologica Belgica. vol. 56.
- (2016) Evaluative concerns perfectionism and coping with failure: Effects on rumination, avoidance, and acceptance. Personality and Individual Differences. vol. 101.
- (2016) On the integration of need-related autobiographical memories among late adolescents and late adults: The role of depressive symptoms and self-congruence. European Journal of Personality. vol. 30.
- (2016) The pursuit of self-esteem and its motivational implications. Psychologica Belgica. vol. 56.
- (2015) Examining the role of psychological need satisfaction in sleep: A Self-Determination Theory perspective. Personality and Individual Differences. vol. 77.
- (2015) Basic psychological need satisfaction, need frustration, and need strength across four cultures. Motivation and Emotion. vol. 39.
- (2015) Zelfwaarde op losse schroeven: Gevolgen en wortels van voorwaardelijke zelfwaarde. [Fragile self-esteem: Consequences and roots of contingent self-esteem]. Caleidoscoop. vol. 27.
- (2015) Autonomy-supportive parenting and autonomy-supportive sibling interactions: The role of mothers’ and siblings’ psychological need satisfaction. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. vol. 41.
- (2014) Self-critical perfectionism and binge eating symptoms: A longitudinal test of the intervening role of psychological need frustration. Journal of Counseling Psychology. vol. 61.
- (2014) Fostering self-endorsed motivation to change in patients with an eating disorder: The role of perceived autonomy support and psychological need satisfaction. International Journal of Eating Disorders. vol. 47.
- (2014) ‘Moetivatie’ of motivatie? Over de vitamines voor therapietrouw, duurzame gedragsverandering en groei. [‘Mustivation’ or motivation? About the vitamines for therapy compliance, sustainable behavioral change and growth]. Signaal. vol. 89.